LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jim (good name),

I used the brackets that came with the B&M 70264 kit. Most transmission coolers come with four mild steel strips that have mounting holes in them. I ended using three strips and coating them with GunKote for protection and looks. GunKote's a fairly strong finish (spray on) that needs to be baked.

-Jim

jim (good name),

I used the brackets that came with the B&M 70264 kit. Most transmission coolers come with four mild steel strips that have mounting holes in them. I ended using three strips and coating them with GunKote for protection and looks. GunKote's a fairly strong finish (spray on) that needs to be baked.

-Jim

I see the 3 strips at the top. Is it attached anywhere on the bottom of the cooler so that it doesn't rattle?

^^^^^^

It is attached by a water heater strap that runs from one side of the mounting holes, over the black radiator support and bolted on to the other side of the tranny cooler. In other words, it doesn't rattle around. As a matter of fact, before I tethered the bottom it didn't rattle around either. This was apparent due to the fact that there were no abrasive marks left on the center radiator suppor or the cooler.

Nice job!

Does all the other mounting hardware (including those grommet/clamp thingamajigs) come with the B&M 70264 kit also?

Unfortunatly, no.

I purchased the tie straps from Home Depot in the "electrical" section. They're conduit straps.

It isn't shown, but the transmission cooler feed line (tapped from the rear most cooler line) is strapped down the same way. I used the support tie down on the frame rail and just added the strap to it via the existing bolt. Very clean looking and I can post a pic of it if necessary.

^^^^^^^^^^

Will do.

Unfortunately, I'm technically at work and do not have a camera handy.

Yes, it is a pretty thick core and I was not comfortable mounting it to the condensor and radiator due to clearance issues. That's what lack of research will do to you.

Maybe it's the placebo effect, but I do notice that my shifts are slightly firmer with the cooler and the cooler is still cool enough to touch after a long drive. Unlike a hot gun barrel, I can keep my hands on the cooler without burning myself.

• 2 weeks later...

i finally installed my tranny cooler after having it sit in the house for 2 months. i got the larger one and it is definately a very tight fit. had to bend the condencer mounting bracket it a bit to get it to fit fight. big thanks for the walk through it helped with knowing which line to tie into.

it seems to have helped i can definately feel the heat that the tranny cooler is pulling out of the fluid. took it for a quick spin around the block and the cooler was warm to the touch. hopefully it will add some insurance come autox time.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

i finally installed my tranny cooler after having it sit in the house for 2 months. i got the larger one and it is definately a very tight fit. had to bend the condencer mounting bracket it a bit to get it to fit fight. big thanks for the walk through it helped with knowing which line to tie into.

it seems to have helped i can definately feel the heat that the tranny cooler is pulling out of the fluid. took it for a quick spin around the block and the cooler was warm to the touch. hopefully it will add some insurance come autox time.

Just curious. How many miles (months) did you have on your stage 2 setup before the tranny cooler install?

Mine is sitting in my closet....

one more thing what model did you use?

id say about a 1.5 years give or take. i went stage 2 almost right away.

Nice. I have been stage 2 for a few months and only 2000 miles. Everybody has been doing these tranny coolers since a few of the board members had there trannysblow on them.

I remember when I first came on the site and hardly any 5eats had the aftermarket cooler

I just want to get mine in before summer heat sets in :)

What model did you use?

Just curious. How many miles (months) did you have on your stage 2 setup before the tranny cooler install?

Mine is sitting in my closet....

one more thing what model did you use?

git off yer butt :p .

i popped in a 676 last month. managed to do it all from up top (but wouldn't recommend it, as the return line clamp is a pita to reach that way) in @ an hour. save yourself 7 bucks on fluid; only about 2-3 ounces drips out. very nice fit, and (even in this cooler weather) the heat says it's working. and dont forget the brass splicer, lowes plumbing dept. ftw.

I will probably do this too before summer comes. I want to try to put a temp gauge in as well, and do it first. Then, do the tranny cooler to see how much change takes place. A friend of mine did that in his Trooper and WOW what a difference it made. He said that after it heated up non-cooler going up a large hill, it took about 15 minutes to cool back to an accepable level, and that was after driving on the flats for 15 minutes. At least to him being critical about it. Imagine how much hot dogging can be done in 15 minutes with a hot tranny? Since then, I have done a tranny cooler to every auto ive owned.

Funny- how come all my cars are auto now? I used to always have all manuals? Oh thats right im married now!!!!!:lol:

I already had the compressor for a set of air horns mounted there. So I cut a couple of pieces of straight bar stock, drilled and mounted the tops to the brace at the top and on the pasenger side just where the air intake is, leaving the bottoms to fit snugly inside a rubber piece on the bottom, and mounted the cooler 'vertically'.

Since most of my driving is in town, I have been thinking of mounting a small 12VDC pusher fan to the front of the cooler.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I got to work and realized that I forgot to take a picture of the lower portion of the transmission cooler.

Here's the cooler feed line:

Jim

I just got my B&M cooler today but the lenght of hose they gave looks like it may be too short.

Was 5 feet enough?

0822072004.JPG.77ebd98f27a5672cef3ecd7a3df0c6e5.JPG

Archived