LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'm also trying to decide which cooler to go with.

I live in Nebraska and sometimes travel to Iowa, Minnesota, etc. In short, yes I drive in below-freezing temperature sometimes. Would I be safer going with Tru-Cool rather than Hayden?

As far as Tru-Cool goes, I've noticed something. The Hayden 1676 is rated at 18,000lbs gross vehicle weight, rated for Normal duty driving, compact and mid-size cars. However, the Tru-Cool is rated for compact cars & small trucks, GVW rating 11,000 lbs. Both are the same size roughly. Does this mean that, given the GVW #s, the Tru-Cool is not as efficient as the Hayden?

Anyone buy from Transmissioncoolers.us? Their prices are not too bad and I'd rather steer away from eBay. Unfortunately Amazon only carries the Hayden, I haven't seen the Tru-Cool.

Alright, I'm also trying to decide which cooler to go with.

I live in Nebraska and sometimes travel to Iowa, Minnesota, etc. In short, yes I drive in below-freezing temperature sometimes. Would I be safer going with Tru-Cool rather than Hayden?

As far as Tru-Cool goes, I've noticed something. The Hayden 1676 is rated at 18,000lbs gross vehicle weight, rated for Normal duty driving, compact and mid-size cars. However, the Tru-Cool is rated for compact cars & small trucks, GVW rating 11,000 lbs. Both are the same size roughly. Does this mean that, given the GVW #s, the Tru-Cool is not as efficient as the Hayden?

Anyone buy from Transmissioncoolers.us? Their prices are not too bad and I'd rather steer away from eBay. Unfortunately Amazon only carries the Hayden, I haven't seen the Tru-Cool.

I just ordered and installed the Tru-Cool LPD4543 from Transmissioncoolers.us. Fast shipping and the price was decent. The Tru-Cool seems like the best choice for Minnesota.

^ I bought mine from that same site. No problems for me, came in with all necessary hardware.

As for Supertones with the cooler, I will take pictures soon and post em. however if you are dieing to know, they do fit. Snug, but no problems thus far and I have had both for over 3 months so far. :D

^ I bought mine from that same site. No problems for me, came in with all necessary hardware.

As for Supertones with the cooler, I will take pictures soon and post em. however if you are dieing to know, they do fit. Snug, but no problems thus far and I have had both for over 3 months so far. :D

what model of cooler are you using? Pics?

Can anyone think of any reason that a tranny cooler would be a bad idea? Since it's only about $50 for a kit, I'm tempted to do it even on my stock 08 for some cheap insurance.

The very minor downfalls that I could see would be (1) an additional part to potentially fail, (2) problems due to additional hose connections, or (3) problems due to a poor installation [zip ties cutting through the radiator fins during vibration?].

Are there any technical downsides that anyone can think of by doing the mod?

^ Honestly not really. I think the cooler just adds better stability all together and some dealers look at it as a "safe" mod.

The connection to the fins are not to bad, and most kits have a foam pad that come with them to reduce moving.

As for the pics, I took some but the dam grill is in the way and I will have to remove it to get better pics of how I have mine mounted with the supertones. I had the cooler installed before the tones so I had to fit them somehow ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone think of any reason that a tranny cooler would be a bad idea? Since it's only about $50 for a kit, I'm tempted to do it even on my stock 08 for some cheap insurance.

The very minor downfalls that I could see would be (1) an additional part to potentially fail, (2) problems due to additional hose connections, or (3) problems due to a poor installation [zip ties cutting through the radiator fins during vibration?].

Are there any technical downsides that anyone can think of by doing the mod?

Nope!!

I have said this & will continue to do so though....

If you mod the car to Stage II or higher even with the Tranny cooler change your tranny fluid every 18-19k

I'd suggest the BG flush & BG additive;)

3 flush & fill's here 51k on the odo & it shifts as good as the day I purchased it.

For some reason the car feels much stronger with 50k on it.

Must be a "factory freak"

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

+1 on BG Tranny addititve... added a bottle to my tranny fluid yesterday, after "breaking" in for a bit, the car shifts noticeably better!

not snake oil, stuff seems to work real well!

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• 4 weeks later...

This is in response to Jim's request for pics with a cooler and supertones on. It may be hard to tell, but the tones are actually about 3mm away from the cooler itself. When I put the grill on, it isn't too bad either. When all is said and done it is right smack center between the front grill and the cooler.

http://home.myuw.net/dynamic/pictures/Car/Hella1.jpg

http://home.myuw.net/dynamic/pictures/Car/Hella2.jpg

http://home.myuw.net/dynamic/pictures/Car/Hella3.jpg

I recently swapped out my Tru Cool 4451 for a Tru Cool 4553. It's larger for more cooling capacity, but also of a plate & fin construction rater than the stacked plate design which allows more airflow to pass through it. This plate & fin is more efficient that stacked plate design of the same size because it lets more air to flow through. it also lets more air reach the a/c condenser and the radiator behind the cooler. This should result in better heat dissipation from all three.

Archived