LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone confirm the size of the 5EAT Transmission Drain Plug (thread size)?

At a glance, I thought it may be smaller than the M20x1.5 engine oil drain plug, but can't find anything online verifying it either way.

BTW, if anyone ever wants to know, the tranny drain plug is M18x1.5.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...
The size of the tranny aux cooler I have is 11x5 3/8in, 3 8/9 core, 3/4in thick. Is this enough? Using it on a forester xt 09, with vf52. Its installed on front of the radiator, 1 inch away from it.

The size of the tranny aux cooler I have is 11x5 3/8in, 3 8/9 core, 3/4in thick. Is this enough? Using it on a forester xt 09, with vf52. Its installed on front of the radiator, 1 inch away from it.

It's such a subjective question, dependent on so many things. If your trans starts shifting worse than it does normally, let it cool down. If letting it cool down makes it start shifting perfectly again, then it was heat. works for me anyways...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went and won this instead the Tru Cool 4454, I kept getting out bid on the Hayden 1676 So I stopped bidding on it at the $24 mark. After I won this I get a 2nd chance offer to get the 1676 for $21 plus shipping :( Oh Well I just need to know what length and type of hose I would need for the 4454.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170399989057&viewitem=

+++On the walkthrough. Installed trucool 4454 this past weekend. Used the conduit wrap to protect the lines and 1/2 inch conduit clamp to the frame for a clean look. My only comment would be have a couple of oem push pins laying around in case one breaks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Ok so when I get home in a few months this will be my next upgrade... that and my front lower SPT chassis brace.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 2 months later...
danger to teh manifold!!

For which you must follow the Brian O'Connor method of troubleshooting:

1. Tell the computer to shut up.

2. Slam the screen shut on the laptop.

3. Continue to drive.

4. Sparks will fly through the cabin of your car as you use your "heavy foot" and continue to chase Dominic.

I was curious my brother gave me a factory trans cooler that came out of a ford suv and it looks simlar to the one in the pictures.

has anyone used one of these? i think they go for 10 bux at the junk yard.

I was curious my brother gave me a factory trans cooler that came out of a ford suv and it looks simlar to the one in the pictures.

has anyone used one of these? i think they go for 10 bux at the junk yard.

Anything would work. Doesn't get any easier than a heat exchanger.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
You'd know if you weren't because it's either flowing, or the transmission is overheating and you'd quickly get a transmission overtemp light...unless of course you're running very low (20* and <) air temps. Putting your hand/finger on it would probably tell you though, unless your radiator is really hot too.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks SBT. It seems to be flowing fine. Transmission feels good after a flush and cooler install.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried the BG additive? I think I've seen it mentioned in threads around here. I was thinking about picking up a can.

Archived