LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

No problem. Hopefully I'll get some solid numbers ASAP. I got the cooler installed today and on the drive home (pretty heavy traffic and I was driving pretty hard when I could) in 103 degree weather.

Coolant temp was bouncing in between 210 and 217.

Oil temp was 217. :spin:

ATF Temp was 88C so 190F.

So far so good. I'm very happy with the ATF temp at that level of driving.

What cooler did you use?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm planning on installing a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and 160* thermostat soon. For the cooler, I'm thinking of either a Hayden 678 (11 x 9.5 x .75) or a Hayden 679 (11 x 11.65 x .75) mounted behind the radiator.

I'm thinking behind the aluminum radiator with a large cooler combined with the 160* thermostat will allow sufficient cooling while preventing overcooling during the colder months and will allow the ATF to come up to temp faster due to some thermal coupling between the trans cooler and radiator. I'm also hoping to avoid degrading AC performance, which I experienced on another vehicle with an aftermarket trans cooler mounted in front of the condenser.

What do you guys think?

Yes. Huge difference. Manual says that normal operating temp is 158-176F or 70-80C. I was at 76C on my way home from work just driving normal. So at least it's consistent. I really don't even think I'll overcool in colder temps.

These temps you guys are reporting sans cooler help explain why nearly every VB ever sent in to me for an upgrade has cooked fluid.

Yes. Huge difference. Manual says that normal operating temp is 158-176F or 70-80C. I was at 76C on my way home from work just driving normal. So at least it's consistent.

Good work :) ...

Wait, you read the manual?!?! :eek::spin::spin::spin::wub:

I really don't even think I'll overcool in colder temps.
One way to find out.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I really don't even think I'll overcool in colder temps.

I have a feeling you'll find yourself in my position and you'll have to, just like me, buy a bypass thermostat.

I don't think I've ever seen my ATF temp go past 135 in the winter :spin:

Shifts like shit.

It's not a fluid issue, but a tranny issue. It was simply not designed for that kind of temp and with the sloppy shift logic, the chill REALLY brings out the laziness in it.

Well see.... I just have to get one more reading of the ATF temp when I'm driving hard but I was thinking about the overcooling more and decided that if it does overcool, its not hard to just re-route the lines back to stock and cap off the cooler. It will only take 10 mins but I also don't live in that cold of a climate so time will tell. I also haven't encountered that hammering sound when shifting into second since the install (fingers crossed).

Bump for some input. Crazy or sane? Larger or smaller cooler?

I'm planning on installing a Mishimoto aluminum radiator and 160* thermostat soon. For the cooler, I'm thinking of either a Hayden 678 (11 x 9.5 x .75) or a Hayden 679 (11 x 11.65 x .75) mounted behind the radiator.

I'm thinking behind the aluminum radiator with a large cooler combined with the 160* thermostat will allow sufficient cooling while preventing overcooling during the colder months and will allow the ATF to come up to temp faster due to some thermal coupling between the trans cooler and radiator. I'm also hoping to avoid degrading AC performance, which I experienced on another vehicle with an aftermarket trans cooler mounted in front of the condenser.

What do you guys think?

I ordered the Hayden 678. The larger 679 was probably just too big to fit comfortably behind the radiator because of its size and the hose routing. It's nearly half the size of the radiator core! Hopefully the 678 will be enough. I expect it will be just fine.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward

Trans > filter > thermostat (aftermarket) > ATF cooler (aftermarket) > Trans.

Notice nowhere on there is the radiator hookup. Would be real cool to group all these things near the trans, would make for a potentially more simple plumbing setup.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It looks like no one has monitored temperatures yet though with that setup. I'm still curious and weary of how it will deal with abuse.

What do you mean? It would only overheat if the cooler was too small or not in a good location, or some other issue causing a lack of required cooling efficiency. Likewise, with the thermostat in bypass (<180*F) there would be no place for heat to dump except through the aluminum transmission case.

• Mega Users

What I mean is that I'm weary of deleting the radiator atf cooler because no one who has done it has posted temperatures. I'm curious about whether the size of cooler most of us are getting is sufficient as the only cooler. Maybe for someone who just commutes, but for people who track their cars or occasionally tows, would it be enough?

There are a lot of unknowns because there doesn't seem to be any info on how the tube and plate coolers compare to the radiator coolers. People should monitor it to make sure if they go with that setup.

• 1 month later...

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/saffarco/B1774ADB-A450-4665-BD6D-24149623A6EE-6969-0000048A8ACB7F87.jpg

Question- which line is the incoming to the filter and which is outgoing? We don't have a cooler in the radiator, I'm planning to install a Tru-cool cooler.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/saffarco/B1774ADB-A450-4665-BD6D-24149623A6EE-6969-0000048A8ACB7F87.jpg

Question- which line is the incoming to the filter and which is outgoing? We don't have a cooler in the radiator, I'm planning to install a Tru-cool cooler.

I need the answer to this myself, I am installing a thermostat and would like to know before hand, the direction of flow so I dont have to do a mess figuring it out.

I believe you 90%, 10% would be some sort of experience- have you installed a cooler where you found out this?

SBT- we don't have a cooler in the radiator, our specs are different. We have a cooler for both the engine and transmission oil near the carter underneath the engine block.

We don't have a cooler in the radiator, our specs are different. We have a cooler for both the engine and transmission oil near the carter underneath the engine block.

Would love to see pictures of that - first I'd heard of stock OEM independent coolers for the transmission. Oil cooler, just above the oil filter, yes. Separate transmission cooler, no.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived