LegacyGT.com

How to: Transmission Cooler Installation

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes the lines are under the battery box on the drivers side. Oh and if you see the filter that is in-line (in the drivers side fender) the dealer stated they only change that when "there was something wrong with the transmission" and that they do not order the filter.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

I'm still confused about where the cooling line to the radiator is. AFAIK, all Subaru Auto-boxes are auxiliarly cooled by the radiator. I do remember something about the filter in the driver's-side fender area (different from previous gens which had the filter attached to the side of the transmission), but something about that filter location also leads me to believe that the cooling (and transmission fluid) line goes from the transmission to the filter, then to the radiator, then back to the transmission.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of 4EAT guys on SF.com who run aftermarket tranny coolers, myself included. I'm running a Koyo radiator, which deletes the OEM cooler.

Naturally, I don't have any numbers to match my observations, but I haven't had any issues with my B&M cooler, and I haven't read of anyone else who's had a problem. I'm going to get an external cooler for my DD '99 Outback, too.

DSC_3360.JPG

FMIC piping going between the 4EAT cooler hard lines.

2011-08-08%252017.25.18.jpg

Installed mine today....lets just say that it sure isn't as easy as it is portrayed. Whoever said the drivers side of the engine compartment has lots of room to play around with obviously was high as shit when they looked at theirs. Mines packed and its stock minus the newly installed cooler. Anyhow got everything in and situated in there and to be completely honest after getting it all hooked up I took it out and gave it some rough driving. It may be my head but it seems to shift a little smoother when in the sportmatic mode. The only thing I did notice is someone said that they noticed a drop in the engine temp itself. I notice no such thing and the cooler itself was mildly warm as in I could touch it but no way was I leaving my hand on it longer than what I did. Hexmod coming soon and I'll be sure to say how it reacts together. Will install a temp gauge at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I just want to confirm the flow of ATF through the system. I'm installing a fluid thermostat to prevent overcooling the fluid and I have to be 100% sure of the direction so I finally bit the bullet--unhooked the lines and started the car.

With 100% certainty, the line towards the rear of the car (without the inline filter) is the return line. From what I gather, this means that the stock system goes from transmission, through the filter, into the radiator, out of the radiator, back to the transmission.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I just want to confirm the flow of ATF through the system. I'm installing a fluid thermostat to prevent overcooling the fluid and I have to be 100% sure of the direction so I finally bit the bullet--unhooked the lines and started the car.

With 100% certainty, the line towards the rear of the car (without the inline filter) is the return line. From what I gather, this means that the stock system goes from transmission, through the filter, into the radiator, out of the radiator, back to the transmission.

Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Good stuff..one question do JDM legacys run transmission fluid through the radiator?? Looks like it just goes from the trans to the filter and back.

One customer told me his JDM 5eat has a separate OEM coolant-ATF heat exchanger, so ATF goes through that instead of the radiator. I do not know anything more about it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

One customer told me his JDM 5eat has a separate OEM coolant-ATF heat exchanger, so ATF goes through that instead of the radiator. I do not know anything more about it.

I initially misread "JDM 5eat" as "JDM Seat" and was wondering why the JDM needs industrial-strength seat heaters :lol:

No need to reset it by if you have FreeSSM and no cost to you, might as well!

Now that my ATF level is lower than it was before (half inch over max line), the tranny is shifting better even in cold! Strongly recommend everyone to try running it with the fluid level at min line at most just to try it out. Seems its very sensitive to over filling?

• Moderators
No need to reset it by if you have FreeSSM and no cost to you, might as well!

Now that my ATF level is lower than it was before (half inch over max line), the tranny is shifting better even in cold! Strongly recommend everyone to try running it with the fluid level at min line at most just to try it out. Seems its very sensitive to over filling?

AFAIK all automatic transmissions are quite sensitive to being overfilled.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Ours is very sensitive- I've overfilled mine before, and within 5-10 minutes it would start to sound like a train. Luckily I only drove the car for 2- 5 mile trips before I got back underneath and drained the excess. You'll risk burning up some seals or blowing a gasket if you keep it up

AFAIK all automatic transmissions are quite sensitive to being overfilled.

So are engines, for the same reason. I suspect it would be as bad for older transmissions. Aeration is not good in a compressible or lubricating oil.

I suggest running in the middle of hash marks, though I have not tested beyond that. I suspect the engineers were very specific about where to put those markings. There is a graph in the manual (not sure which one, where I read it) showing how very much the fluid height will fluctuate based on heat. It can swing from Hot Low to Hot Overfilled, when spanning the full "warmed up" operating temperature range (which we know can be a 100*F span in a day).

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...

After reading some of the comments by ClimberD and others, I looked into the Thermostat idea a little more and ordered one of these remote thermal bypass units to install in my 07 Outback XT. I like this better than an inline thermostat because it doesn't restrict the line flow or require a "T" or return/crossover line.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/708-4739.html

I installed a cooler for towing last year, but because our winters here in Canada can be below freezing for months at a time, I have become very concerned with overcooling. If I don't spend considerable warm up time sitting in the driveway, the 1-2 shift is nasty until I get most of the way to work or back each day. now I know why. Hopefully this will do the trick. I will update you all once it's in.

They also show a flow diagram here:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Bypass-Instructions-by-MK.pdf

^ Is this all mechanical, or is there an electrical component to it? I wonder how much restriction it puts in the pressure flow?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hey guys..installed my cooler on my JDM 03..Tapped into filter outlet line...found out that some JDMs well 03-05 fourth gens do not cool trans fluid with the radiator...:confused: apparently 05 onwards along with USDMs they decided to cool it with the radiator..hence the 2 extra lines spilt near the filter...

Before cooler i saw temps up to 90c in 23c weather.

Now: 81 c in 30c weather after 3 3rd gear pulls..seems stable on 75c, normal driving..

only mods on car is a td04hla instead of a vf38.

All in all a good improvement. Two pics here cant get the filter part..installed everything back and realised i didnt take pics:spin:

DSCN2303.thumb.JPG.cc8aa2a33cbb190e58776d2886339454.JPG

DSCN2305.thumb.JPG.a34a75cd0371704edf2c18053a7700d0.JPG

Thank you for confirming that it started in 05. USDM has only ever had it cooled in the radiator, though I heard something about a different coolant heat exchanger on your 03. Do you have any such thing?

Well i took the intercooler off to clean it and had a good look at the trans...saw a couple of plugs 2 breather tube and 2 thick hoses going to the front where the filter is located at..so im gonna say no.....

Car looks the same as 05 onwards USDM only shorter front and back bumpers being a JDM GTB...I asked subaru here where is the heat exchanger on a legacy and they said "should be cooled by the radiator"..showed them a similar car in the used lot..5 mins of looking he said some dont need to cool ATF...:confused:

Anyway glad the cooler is in..thanks to all the info on this thread...heres a pic of the car..

DSCN2306.thumb.JPG.0655d7ca2eab0248d7bc384a6f41a205.JPG

Archived