LegacyGT.com

A different trailer hitch option

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i towed an empty enclosed snow mobile trailer that fits two wide with my 2.5i wagon and in 5th gear it could barely maintain speed at 73 mph. and using 18L/100km witch is about 8-9 mpg.

there is a fuel efficiency range of hp for any engine, its known with boats a larger engine working less hard will consume less fuel than a small engine at full load.

i would say the buckaru could pull a heavy trailer with a lot of wind resistance easier and consume less fuell than the 2.5i and expecially the 2.5gt. the 2.5gt you will need to be in boost to maintain speed! and where you realy loose out its the bov will be partly open bleeding off some pressure . at this particular condition the 2.5gt engine is at its worst as its trying to build boost but it doesn't require it so half is being stopped by the throttle plate and the other half through the bpv.

you could take the waste gate arm off to fully open the waste gate but then the engine is dead low on power.

as for producing this hitch i want to, but help would be appreciated. as i am in canada and shipping such a thing to the states is a pita, an american distributor would be handy, and they could even receive the laser cut parts and assemble it and or package an assembly kit with need nuts and bolts.

the other side is if there is enough demand to make the hitches cost effective, that profit can be made and demand to suit. sure if i could built a 100 units at 150 $ a piece that would be great. but right now we have about 5 - 10 tire kickers :p.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Make it 11, I'm definitely in for 1. Maybe making it a group buy might stir up a little more interest. Either way I want/need one or else I spend my money on something that will be scraping my driveway..... not what I want to do. Really hope this works out.

i towed an empty enclosed snow mobile trailer that fits two wide with my 2.5i wagon and in 5th gear it could barely maintain speed at 73 mph. and using 18L/100km witch is about 8-9 mpg.

there is a fuel efficiency range of hp for any engine, its known with boats a larger engine working less hard will consume less fuel than a small engine at full load.

i would say the buckaru could pull a heavy trailer with a lot of wind resistance easier and consume less fuell than the 2.5i and expecially the 2.5gt. the 2.5gt you will need to be in boost to maintain speed! and where you realy loose out its the bov will be partly open bleeding off some pressure . at this particular condition the 2.5gt engine is at its worst as its trying to build boost but it doesn't require it so half is being stopped by the throttle plate and the other half through the bpv.

you could take the waste gate arm off to fully open the waste gate but then the engine is dead low on power.

as for producing this hitch i want to, but help would be appreciated. as i am in canada and shipping such a thing to the states is a pita, an american distributor would be handy, and they could even receive the laser cut parts and assemble it and or package an assembly kit with need nuts and bolts.

the other side is if there is enough demand to make the hitches cost effective, that profit can be made and demand to suit. sure if i could built a 100 units at 150 $ a piece that would be great. but right now we have about 5 - 10 tire kickers :p.

^ thanks.. just need help motivating myself suffering from boost withdrawals .. i so desperately need to get the buckaru up to 20 ish lbs boost but everything is failing around the engine lately!

I think I would be very interested in this. I had a hitch on my 2.5i before and it was WAY too low, it dragged across everything. Now I'm looking to put on a hitch to utilize my bike rack, and this looks like the way to go! I have cash in hand when you're ready to put these baby's in full production.

received several pm about this hitch, its very encouraging! the main reason for this hitch is for the ground clearance issues and the sturdyness of a 2" square receiver.

but i dont recomend pulling 5000 lbs. not about the strength of the hitch its the dynamics of the load and trailer. you can look on you tube where a bmw is being towed on a trailer in poland and it starts getting swirly and crashes.

This has a lot to do with the balance and i figure you want at least 15% tung weight. so 5000 lbs would be 750 lbs on the ball hitch of your car. and our cars have weak ass rear springs.

I have one sole intention as being as profesional as possible even tho my own crazy actions may show otherwise :) i dont want anyone to die or crash or anything! so the recomened load rating for the hitch i have a hand in producing will have the same load range as the other hitches available for this car.

i wish to add a few features to allow pre-loading the receiver tube to prevent banging back and forth. and it to be as high clearance as possible.

received several pm about this hitch, its very encouraging! the main reason for this hitch is for the ground clearance issues and the sturdyness of a 2" square receiver.

I haven't sent you a PM about this, but if it's around $200-$250 I am in. Tired of dragging my hidden hitch on curbs - My outback isn't even that low (slightly higher than a Legacy) and I still have issues with it.

I'll only be caring bikes around so not too concerned about towing.

so is anyone running around with a drawtite/hiddenhitch/reese class3/4 (2" receiver)hitch on a usdm lgt that is lowered...regardless of reason. jw.

Blackbird's non-lowered Legacy sedan scraped like crazy, I could only imagine a lowered one.

I wonder if you could sell the plates, then the buyer could pick up the 2" crosstube locally and one of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-49120-Receiver-Finish/dp/B001GN6L4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375912794&sr=8-1&keywords=receiver+tube]these[/ame] and have it welded locally... Too hard to get it right without a jig?

• 3 weeks later...

so i put some time aside this afternoon for the hitch .. will make a set of drawins for lasercut parts to test fit.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-air-suspention-4th-legacys-212980.html

i started this for people with heavier loads that want to help the suspention out a little bit.

so finding after taking my 05 wagon bumper cover half off..

there are a total of 4 M10 threaded inserts on each side . the other hitches on the market use two of the 4. So i think bac would be happy to know there would be doubble the mounting clamping force ! .

Archived