LegacyGT.com

A different trailer hitch option

I cant wait to have this so I can mount this on my LGT.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/Assets/Images/home%20pg%20photos/nsr2homepg.jpg

Me and my roommate are welders so if you would like any product testers on an 08 legacy, let me know and I would be much obliged to test a few models for you.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does everyone think of this ? Reasonable bumper cuting ?

I think that is a very good height . And higher then the receiver needs to sit far out to be able to reach the locking pin.

I think I will try to add a small a plate to be able to bolt the bottom ofthe bumper cover to the hitch to reinforce the cutout.

It is more bumper cutting than I envisioned, but maybe that is the only good way. Any idea if an Outback will need more or less cutting?

Thanks, Doug

^ it should be similar cutting to a sedan. the bumper cover is different between sedan and wagon.

does anyone know if the muffler hangers are different on a outback vs legacy ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

stainless can be made easily but costs will be significantly more.

In one of your early comments you had mentioned it would not be that much of a delta. Now that you have updated information, where did the extra cost come from?

My curiosity is more because my company makes fixed communications equipment. Sometimes we use stainless and sometimes not. So far we have not run into a case where there is much of a delta. I would like to understand the case you ran into so I can be aware if we are mistakenly heading down a similar path.

^ it should be similar cutting to a sedan. the bumper cover is different between sedan and wagon.

does anyone know if the muffler hangers are different on a outback vs legacy ?

Anything in particular you need to see? I can probably get some pics later today...

Doug

In one of your early comments you had mentioned it would not be that much of a delta. Now that you have updated information, where did the extra cost come from?

My curiosity is more because my company makes fixed communications equipment. Sometimes we use stainless and sometimes not. So far we have not run into a case where there is much of a delta. I would like to understand the case you ran into so I can be aware if we are mistakenly heading down a similar path.

Well the lasercut plates would be about 30% more I believe.

But the reciever tube peice that is a special 2x2" id may be difficult to get. If you know of any availiable please let me know.

I would definitely make a stainless version for mine at least.

• Moderators
Well the lasercut plates would be about 30% more I believe.

But the reciever tube peice that is a special 2x2" id may be difficult to get. If you know of any availiable please let me know.

I would definitely make a stainless version for mine at least.

Like this? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tube-Stock-4YUM9

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^ yes like that. But does a 2x2" square tube fit inside of that ? The reciever tubing I believe is .050" oversized I could be totally out to lunch tho.

• Moderators
Bmb. Do you know if legacy exhaust fits on an outback ?

I've never bolted up a legacy exhaust. I want to say yes though...

If someone local has an LGT exhaust of some sort lying around it wouldn't be much trouble to try and mount it up.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The mounting points are the same (same chassis), it's just that the mufflers themselves are different outlets. I was going to buy a set of OB cans and mod them a bit and FWIW, the 2005 version fits right up.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Mega Users
It'll fit. But the outlets will direct exhaust into the rear bumper because there are no cutouts. There have been a few people who have used longer hangers on LGT exhausts so the outlets hang below the bumper.

^ yes like that. But does a 2x2" square tube fit inside of that ? The reciever tubing I believe is .050" oversized I could be totally out to lunch tho.

Is a 2 inch trailer hitch actually 2 inches? I will measure mine when I get home tonight. I did a quick search hoping someone would give the exact dimensions, but no luck.

I know for sure the parts that slide in are exactly 2x2" as I have made a bunch of them

We have bought reciever tubing before and it's special

It's not simply 2.5x2.5" 1/4" wall

It also needs to be seamless

I know for sure the parts that slide in are exactly 2x2" as I have made a bunch of them

We have bought reciever tubing before and it's special

It's not simply 2.5x2.5" 1/4" wall

It also needs to be seamless

This man knows what he is doing. Cant wait to see prototype #3 Frank

here is a fea analysis for the hitch for tongue weight i put a load of 1000 lbs and got a safety factor of 1.2..

so the hitch would yeild at 1200 lbs .

so 400 lbs tongue weight would have a factor of safety of 3!

that's with out the tow hook taken into consideration

298741143_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.268f9e3a851dfb6c9b2edd317569d5dd.jpg

here is the hitch in pull.

with a 10000 lb load it has .64 safety factor meaning it will yeild at 6400 lbs.

so you could almost hang 2 cars from the hitch to reach yeild . not even ultimate strength.

963760637_hitchinpull.thumb.jpg.9059de2beebaae6ea3c0897163cb0e8e.jpg

Archived