LegacyGT.com

A different trailer hitch option

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, that is eliminated.

To correct my earlier post...only the '11-'13 (and possibly the 14) Foresters replace the reinforcement. The Outback has a hitch that uses the reinforcement's mounting studs, but the rebar is retained.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• 2 weeks later...
http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=146756&thumb=1&d=1364660162

I would guess that you probably cut the loop off to get the receiver up in front of it right Frank?

Or do what I did and utilise the loop with a big arse washer over top. I wasn't too fussed that my towbar was permanant.

Bought mine online, design as follows:

http://www.chimera.co.nz/subaru/towbar1.jpg

This is how it fits underneath, used a large flat metal plate as a washer above the loop.

http://www.chimera.co.nz/subaru/towbar2.jpg

Don't care its not a removeable type, at least if I back into something it'll come off second best lol

http://www.chimera.co.nz/subaru/towbar3.jpg

http://www.chimera.co.nz/subaru/towbar4.jpg

Who makes that hitch?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

the company above do have removeable types. And based on the shape of the bar and position of this tow ball, you'd be right bumper would need cutting. Not a major though. I had to cut a small section with the above setup just used a jigsaw to do it easy as. Don't think it looks that bad either

yes^

so to have a high mounted receiver the bumper has to be cut.

how are things coming along with the process frank_ster? Interested in picking one up soon...

summer has officially arrived in ColoRADo and the bikes would much rather be on the back than on top of the rig.

cheers

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my self i want to pull my bobcat loader around its 3500 lbs + acessorys. + trailer i do it but it doesn't "look right" so i want to get a enclosed trailer with 2 axels very low to the ground with brakes so it doesn't appear to be a big load.

reading thru the thread, didnt see an answer to this problem. Did you test your hitch with a 2 axle trailer + bobcat?

I'm looking at selling my tow rig & trailer and getting a shorter 2 axle trailer to use with the wagon. Trailer weight is problematic, as racecar plus accessories comes in at ~3500 lbs. Using Bac's rule of thumb, trailer + load cant be more than ~4400.

Your hitch, in the beefed up version, looks workable. Is there enough room to add load bars, too?

i towed the bob cat on a 2 axle trailer using the regular hitch 1.25" reciver.

the load distributing bars i have seen are part of the 2" square tube ball attachment so it would work.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

^^^ pictures?

what's the clearance under the hitch & the ground when loaded up? What's your suspension setup? Did you upgrade your brakes from the stock setup?

I'll be hauling this setup up to 300 miles at a time, so will be upgrading suspension & brakes. Besides, the BR Racing c/o will give up the ghost before I get out of the driveway.

stock suspension ,, the ground clearance is depending on how much tung weight there is.

the stock rear springs are stupid soft and always bugged me . i want stiffer and or air assist in the rear.

the brakes imho are fine

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Moderators
^^^ pictures?

what's the clearance under the hitch & the ground when loaded up? What's your suspension setup? Did you upgrade your brakes from the stock setup?

I'll be hauling this setup up to 300 miles at a time, so will be upgrading suspension & brakes. Besides, the BR Racing c/o will give up the ghost before I get out of the driveway.

What suspension will you switch up to? Looking to go outback height or just stiffer springs? Outback take offs with king springs in the rear would be interesting for a tow setup. Or maybe konis with stock outback springs?

I dunno...just curious more than anything.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

What suspension will you switch up to? Looking to go outback height or just stiffer springs? Outback take offs with king springs in the rear would be interesting for a tow setup. Or maybe konis with stock outback springs?

I dunno...just curious more than anything.

I sold my stock suspension awhile back, as I never intended anything else except track car. The BC c/o are short to begin with, so would be looking to replace them with something stock height and more loading capacity. Ideally, I could find a standard height c/o with stiffer springs and/or air suspension for raising the rear after loading. If I could retain some "sporty" suspension, that would be icing on the cake.

I was never a fan of the outback height, even the stock lgt was a bit high. The "pinky" clearance I have today isn't going to work, tho.

There are other problems with this as well. Currently, the breakover on my driveway is too high for my suburban & trailer today. Then again, the trailer has ~8 foot overhang with 6 inch ground clearance so can't even get it started. The wagon scrapes the front & rear bumper if I dont go out at an angle as it is. So, the driveway needs to be redone (a project that has been at the bottom of the project list for more than a decade).

Finding an enclosed trailer for the Miata plus tires & supplies that weighs less than 4400 lbs gross weight is going to take some work (20' wells cargo trailer is 2100 lbs). The Miata is ~2100 lbs dry sans driver.

I'm interested in Frank_ster's solution because he tows so much weight with it. A bobcat is more than I'm going to tow. Getting the car back up to stock height with a fix for the saggy butt should work well. Having a dual axle trailer should help with load capacity. Being able to use load bars should help get the hitch off the ground a bit. Adding a roller under the hitch should help for those times when a hit is going to happen.

if your gonna tow it 300 miles might as well use a f250 because that will be cheaper on gas !!

Already have a 2500 Suburban. Looking to downsize my parking lot, not increase it. Having a truck just for towing the racecar does not fit our driveway or insurance.

My wife has made it simple (pick one):

1. give up the racecar and its accessories/vehicles

2. sell the suburban & 30 foot trailer & wagon, then buy small truck & small trailer

3. figure out how to tow racecar behind wagon

I'll leave it to you to figure out which she would prefer

Archived