LegacyGT.com

A different trailer hitch option

What does everyone think of this ? Reasonable bumper cuting ?

I think that is a very good height . And higher then the receiver needs to sit far out to be able to reach the locking pin.

I think I will try to add a small a plate to be able to bolt the bottom ofthe bumper cover to the hitch to reinforce the cutout.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The redneck in Arkansas I bought my car from cut off my tow hook. Could this be used without the tow hook attachment? If not, I'll have one welded back on.

I would weld it back on. You could go without it but it wouldn't be as strong. Better be safe than sory.

I think that is a very good height . And higher then the receiver needs to sit far out to be able to reach the locking pin.

I think I will try to add a small a plate to be able to bolt the bottom ofthe bumper cover to the hitch to reinforce the cutout.

Frank,

Height-wise perfect.

In my mind, the ideal would be to have a template included to cut a square in the bumper skin, and then slide the hitch into it during install, with a black anodized aluminum (substitute thick black plastic if anodized frame is too expensive) frame to put into the cut skin to clean up the look. Just cutting the bumper from bottom to the top point, and leaving the bottom end "open" isn't as aesthetically-finished as I'd want it to be. Just my $.02.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Frank,

Height-wise perfect.

In my mind, the ideal would be to have a template included to cut a square in the bumper skin, and then slide the hitch into it during install, with a black anodized aluminum (substitute thick black plastic if anodized frame is too expensive) frame to put into the cut skin to clean up the look. Just cutting the bumper from bottom to the top point, and leaving the bottom end "open" isn't as aesthetically-finished as I'd want it to be. Just my $.02.

This!

personally I am more a 'function over form type' so cutting the bottom of the rear bumper in favor of ground clearance is just fine. lets face it, its just the bumper of a legacy

frank, what will you do about the muffler hangers hitting the hitch? my last hitch install on my 05 Saabaru, I had to grind off part of the muffler hanger to prevent it from rubbing and making horrible noises against the UHAUL hitch

There are large oval holes that the muffler mounts fit through. This will be the only physical Chang to prototype 3.

And thanks for the input see if I make some kind of bezel that fits around the cut hole.

Frank - look at the Aussie one for the bezel, you'll see what I mean. It's on here somewhere.

its on page 2 about post #12 they just used that plastic edging

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/351/218/452/452218351_916.jpg

Frank - this is the Aus Liberty GT tow bar fit I was thinking of.

http://www.crago.net/subaru/towbar/17.JPG

Install thread is found here

I know your design is similar to the other USDM versions, which bolt to the "under/outside" of the frame rails. Note how this one bolts "into/inside" the frame rails, which eliminates any of the other potential impingement points underneath.

http://www.crago.net/subaru/towbar/04.JPG

http://www.crago.net/subaru/towbar/07.JPG

Certainly seems strong enough - rated to 3900 lbs, and the compact nature of the pieces certainly looks like it would be easy to pack and ship.

Oh, and please don't think these comments are meant to impugn your engineering or derail your excellent progress. Just posting these as food for thought on an alternate version.

The height seems to be good. Any higher and it would probably cause other kinds of problems instead. Maybe a tad higher so the bumper cut coincides with the bend, but that's not critical.

I wonder if there's a need to put a cross-member on the bumper cover under the hitch to stabilize it and avoid cracks in the bumper. It wouldn't look good if the bumper starts to crack from the corners where the receiver goes in.

And here's a pic of the OEM trailer hitch variants (Sedan: MX105EAJ610/MX105EAJ710, Wagon: MX105EAJ600/MX105EAJ700) we can purchase here in Europe:

http://www.subaru.se/ImageResize.axd?filename=/commonmedia/parts/images/l105efg001.jpg

Two variants, removable and fixed ball. We generally don't use receivers here since we are standardized on a 50mm ball.

(Numbers/images are for 5th gen...)

453747.png

We generally don't use receivers here since we are standardized on a 50mm ball.
You don't use receiver mounted accessories? I have a bike rack, cargo rack, motorcycle carrier & weight distributing hitch for the camper that I use with my wife's truck's receiver hitch...

Don't mean to get too OT here... :redface:

The height seems to be good. Any higher and it would probably cause other kinds of problems instead. Maybe a tad higher so the bumper cut coincides with the bend, but that's not critical.

I wonder if there's a need to put a cross-member on the bumper cover under the hitch to stabilize it and avoid cracks in the bumper. It wouldn't look good if the bumper starts to crack from the corners where the receiver goes in.

i dont see this hitch moving what so ever..

i dont see this hitch moving what so ever..

Not the hitch. I was more worried about the plastic bumper cover.

You don't use receiver mounted accessories? I have a bike rack, cargo rack, motorcycle carrier & weight distributing hitch for the camper that I use with my wife's truck's receiver hitch...

Don't mean to get too OT here... :redface:

Our accessories like the bicycle rack goes on the ball instead. And cargo goes on the roof rack or in the car - which is why wagons are so popular here. And we don't do weight-distributed trailers, heavier trailers has a bogie or have front/rear axles which takes care of some of that problem.

On the upside we don't suffer that much from the noise created by the receiver rattling around.

453747.png

When I do mine I'll be careful not to add any stress risers in the corners when I cut it out.

I'll probably drill the corners with a 1/2 bit, then connect the holes with a jig saw, or just use a ~2.5" hole saw and not worry about a tight fit across the top.

Our accessories like the bicycle rack goes on the ball instead. And cargo goes on the roof rack or in the car - which is why wagons are so popular here. And we don't do weight-distributed trailers, heavier trailers has a bogie or have front/rear axles which takes care of some of that problem.

On the upside we don't suffer that much from the noise created by the receiver rattling around.

Interesing for sure. When I had my scooter mounted to the back of my camper, I scraped the anti-rattle clip leaving a driveway, bending all the bolts. :spin:

The more ground clearance the better, which is why I'm looking forward to Frankie's hitch :D

For those of you with noisy receivers, this is what I use. Takes all of the clacking and clunking out of the experience. I did have to grind-down one side of the "lock" to fit under the OEM lip over the hitch's pin-hole. Won't have to do that with Frank's.

http://www.letsgoaero.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Silent-Hitch-Pin-2080-Logo.jpg

When I get Frank's 2" hitch installed and setup, I'll use the 2" version. Locks and stops the rattling/clanking at the same time. More info here

Well, I shouldn't have gone googling... This looks really interesting...

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/B/S/BSL047143-004_1000.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Bosal/BSL047143-004.html

Not LGT fittment, obviously, but maybe one could fab it up with Franks plates. You can get a receiver attachment too...

Nils, do you have crush beam behind your bumpers like the U.S. does? Don't think the ADM one picture above does.

Not sure about how it is at the rear bumper. The front on my Outback have some styrofoam filling, which is different from the aluminum mesh that was found on the '10 I had.

And since there's a trailer hitch on the car now it may have been removed to fit the hitch.

453747.png

I would like to include some sort of plates that would bolt the plastic bumper cover.

So what you are saying is, this will handle a hitch mount cargo carrier with a couple hundred pounds on it no problem?

Yep. It will handle more that your rear springs will

It's why I'm looking into rear air helper springs.

Archived