LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible that SOA may still replace the dash. I called a few years ago and they seemed open to it.

Don’t hold your breath…

Last summer I sent my LGT to the dealership (wait for it…) to get the passenger airbag recall done. That is the ONLY reason I’d let those idiots touch my car.

We’ll already you know where this is going. I pick up the car and they used a large flat blade screwdriver to pry out all the air vents and cubby, denting crushing and splitting the dash pad.

Service manager 1st response: “We have to talk to the tech and find out if he followed proper procedure.” WTF? LOOK AT IT MAN - It’s effed.

Service manager 2nd response: “We have a shop that can repair this.” Oh no you don’t. That’ll never look the same. Gotta be brand new.

Service manager 3rd response: “Uhh, so here’s the problem. NLA from Subaru or surrounding dealers’ stock.”

I held my ground for 3 weeks until they coughed up a new OEM dash from god knows where.

So for the second time in as many months I uneasily handed over my keys. This time I pick up the car and the dash is perfect.

Whew.

Until detailing the car that weekend I discover they gouged the living sh.t out of the steering column clamshell... :spin:

Edited by Blink

yep. And that's why I still haven't done the airbag recall thing. When I do it, I will probably bring the car with the dash removed already.

My wagon #2 that I sold I took in and surprisingly they did not scratch anything, just left grease marks on the A-pillar covers which luckily cleaned up well.

With wagon #1 I've been procrastinating since I'd pushing my luck and I wasn't driving it much lately, and if I do, I don't bring passengers. But I need to take in finally.

My dash is weird - it had an episode of mild chalkiness/stickiness but it recovered itself magically after I cleaned it... i forget with what, probably rubbing alcohol. It was like 3 years ago but it has not returned. It has a hint of shine to it, but hardly noticeable and not sticky at all. Go figure :confused:

Edited by unclemat

Yeah. Actually, one of my wagons is doing the same: it does not shine anymore when the sun hits it hard. Weird. However, that dash has cracks now at many places :(. I have a new one in my storage that I have yet to install. On my 06 however, it does get sticky still if the sun hits it. And it has cracks too. Both cars have been garaged for the past 7 years.

I went to grab a pristine dash from one of the Pick n Pull yards. Snatched it from a base model 2.5i leggy and have been holding on to it. The only reason I grabbed it in the first place was do to marring under the vents from a phone holder the PO used, otherwise it's in clean order. Car has never been garage kept for any significant time and definitely doesn't have any covered parking now. Still using a Covercraft windshield sunshade.

Perfectionism is my weakness.

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

My dash goes through phases too.

Since I've been driving it more, even the cracks aren't nearly as noticeable. It looks and feels basically fine. Once I put it away for longer periods this winter, we'll see.

I've done both airbag recalls and both times they were good to my dash, except now it's cracking.

Just in case, don't use any chemicals to clean it. I bet mine got bad because I was used to clean them with Armorall type stuff. Big mistake I think.

I use a sunshade now & then and only clean with a damp synthetic chamois (leaves no fibers) which is what I credit to the dash the dealer effed up being almost perfect. Almost except for the small scratch where some valet tossed my keys onto it. It’s always the other guy’s fault, right?

If anyone plans on using Cerakote on your dash, I would not recommend you drive that day after applying it.

I use Cerakote quite often on my customer vehicles. (Only on the exterior though)

This stuff is very strong. In scent and in its bonding properties. So if you do use it, leave the windows open for a few hours.

Only thing about this video, tar remover is working for him because those are plastic panels coated with that non-slip stuff. Yes, tar remover works for removing that coating. But in the case of the Legacy dashboard, that's not plastic coated with that non-slip material. I'm not sure how tar remover will affect the Subaru dashboards. Has anyone already tried using tar/bug remover?

With that said, aside from the carpet-style covers, what do people use to protect the dashboard? I just purchased a '08 Legacy, and it seems like it was garage kept because the dashboard is flawless. I want to protect it with something. Just want to see if there's anything besides the carpet-style cover.

Again, both my cars have sat outside since new. My 05's dash is still perfect, where the 09's is sticky. Only difference is what the PO hard the detail shop do before I bought the 09 which had 23,000 miles on it. PO didn't have a garage, either.

So I'll assume something charged in the manufacturing process.

I have used only used armor all in both dashes a couple times.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

I just bought some vivvid suede vinyl wrap. I'm gonna use it to wrap the top of my door cards to match the flocked dash, and alcantara bits in my car. I'll update with pictures and a review. I suspect that it may be a good option for people who want to fix there dash but don't want to remove it to flock it.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

Must be different on later models , my 05 spent most it's life in Arizona not garaged, then came to Central Oregon and was exposed to more heat and direct sun, as well as freezing temps.

It's still in great shape, my steering wheel however is trashed , last owner had a death grip.

Anyone Ever re wrap a stering wheel ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I got the dash replaced on my '07 and my wife had her '09's done when she still had it. I've always used a sun shade as well but she didn't.

Now, over the last year or so, the air bag in the steering wheel is getting sticky. And in that time it's spent about 60% of the time under a car cover.

So the suede vinyl wrap is a little tricky to work with, but the results turned out ok. This was a simple part to wrap and there are some creases in the tight spots. I think this could work for a dash with a little more practice, but it may need to be broken up into multiple pieces. I would guess it would be easier to get good results with the dash out, but at that point it would be better to flock it.

Hopefully someone tries it, the material is fairly inexpensive so it may be worth a shot.

Here is the link to the product I used:

https://vvividshop.com/products/black-suede-velvet?_pos=1&_sid=427f8a131&_ss=rd098a4cfcee60a034d943073d5fadcf6.jpgfc7a9cfef565b607acdf8b091f46712c.jpg

So the suede vinyl wrap is a little tricky to work with, but the results turned out ok. This was a simple part to wrap and there are some creases in the tight spots. I think this could work for a dash with a little more practice, but it may need to be broken up into multiple pieces. I would guess it would be easier to get good results with the dash out, but at that point it would be better to flock it.

Hopefully someone tries it, the material is fairly inexpensive so it may be worth a shot.

Here is the link to the product I used:

https://vvividshop.com/products/black-suede-velvet?_pos=1&_sid=427f8a131&_ss=rd098a4cfcee60a034d943073d5fadcf6.jpgfc7a9cfef565b607acdf8b091f46712c.jpg

looks decent to me. So I did contact Vivvid about my dash board issue wit the hazing, tackiness, etc. I assume they are just covering their asses but they couldn't guarantee that this velvet vinyl would stay bonded to the dash because of this issue. The top of our door skins seems to be the same material as the dash, but my door skins are not deteriorating like my dash is. Now I'm unsure whether to try it or not because if it loses its adhesion over time, it will be a huge mess to peel it off :(

looks decent to me. So I did contact Vivvid about my dash board issue wit the hazing, tackiness, etc. I assume they are just covering their asses but they couldn't guarantee that this velvet vinyl would stay bonded to the dash because of this issue. The top of our door skins seems to be the same material as the dash, but my door skins are not deteriorating like my dash is. Now I'm unsure whether to try it or not because if it loses its adhesion over time, it will be a huge mess to peel it off :(
I dont think it would be a mess to peel off, all my experience with vinyl, they come off pretty clean. And yeah they are probably just covering their asses but in my unprofessional opinion the tackiness on the Dash would probably help with adhesion.

I dont think it would be a mess to peel off, all my experience with vinyl, they come off pretty clean. And yeah they are probably just covering their asses but in my unprofessional opinion the tackiness on the Dash would probably help with adhesion.

Good point, glad to hear it comes up easily. I actually was wondering the same thing, if the tack would actually make the bond stronger. Pretty tempted to order some up and try a test area