LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean yeah goop on a dash is a 1/2 ass'ed fix, but that was brutal!

I think I have some sticky dash starting, and will have to replace it but I can't blame anyone from trying to save a buck. What is a new dash going for right now $400+ installed like $700...

Do you have a point, yup, is being rude going to win you any points prob not...

I think (and this is just me) that the goal of this forum is to help each other out and share our projects and updates all that happy $h!t. If you want to flame people isn't that what Facebook is for?? Pictures of people's salads and ugly kids, and trying to change some random strangers' mind on the internet by calling them a poopy face.

Edited by socalsleeper

...If you want to flame people isn't that what Facebook is for?? Pictures of people's salads and ugly kids, and trying to change some random strangers' mind on the internet by calling them a poopy face.

I've never done Facebook, never really understood what its about. But when you explain it that way it sounds fun.

I've never done Facebook, never really understood what its about. But when you explain it that way it sounds fun.

I stopped using it years ago (10+ at least), only recently reactivated my account to use the Marketplace which seems to be another version of craigslist.

How I see it Facebook is just people posting fake versions of themselves and arguing with others why they are right everyone else is wrong. None of that sounds fun, but hey I can relate to watching the sh!tshow. I have been to ComicCon and the people watching is great!

One year there was a guy walking around with a sign that said "Free Shrugs" and if you made eye contact with him he would shrug, it got funny when you saw the same dude like 6 or 7 times and you started to recognize eachother.

Glad we got all that cleared up - couldn't quite see spending close to $1000 on a car that might be worth $5000. And it's not exactly pristine, so the appearance of the SDF doesn't bother me.

However, I'd like this to not happen again, and I think I'm just asking for it, as this car sits, parked in the sun, a lot of the time, only driven a couple days per week.

So, seems prudent to cover the dashboard when parked at home. What dashboard covers would you recommend ? The kind that goes inside the car - kinda two circular foil things ? Or the kind that goes over the windshield (outside the car) ?

Glad we got all that cleared up - couldn't quite see spending close to $1000 on a car that might be worth $5000. And it's not exactly pristine, so the appearance of the SDF doesn't bother me.

However, I'd like this to not happen again, and I think I'm just asking for it, as this car sits, parked in the sun, a lot of the time, only driven a couple days per week.

So, seems prudent to cover the dashboard when parked at home. What dashboard covers would you recommend ? The kind that goes inside the car - kinda two circular foil things ? Or the kind that goes over the windshield (outside the car) ?

I feel like in theory one that goes outside would do a better job, but I would be worried about it getting blown away. Or covered by pollen and shit on by birds and stuff, then where do you put it back in the car all filthy? Probably just a regular inside the car foil shade is good enough. Certainly better than nothing.

I'm half tempted to fab up some patterns for Alcantara panels that I can just glue / bond to the dash in the track car. At this point its more of a visibility thing that impedes my view out the windshield on track. The dash is so shiny that if the sun hits it at the right angle it throws a heads up display type reflection glare in my windshield. Certainly no bueno anytime but especially on a track :( . I can clearly see which areas are affecting me most and a few strategically placed panels would help a ton. I'm afraid that whatever is leaching / outgassing from the dash would compromise whatever bonding agent I'd be using and it wouldn't stick. That or maybe it would leach and bleed through the Alcantara as it gets hot? I'd probably leave a small margin between the panels like 1/8" as I'm not trying to perfectly dovetail them together, don't think I could nail it seamlessly.

At this point its more of a visibility thing that impedes my view out the windshield on track.

At one point, someone suggested a process to fix my dash where you glue a bunch of fuzzy material to it - "flocking" - apparently it's popular in track cars, because of no glare. One thing I will say for SDF, it's very matte, there is no glare.

Edited by RustyShackleford

I'm half tempted to fab up some patterns for Alcantara panels that I can just glue / bond to the dash in the track car. At this point its more of a visibility thing that impedes my view out the windshield on track. The dash is so shiny that if the sun hits it at the right angle it throws a heads up display type reflection glare in my windshield. Certainly no bueno anytime but especially on a track :( . I can clearly see which areas are affecting me most and a few strategically placed panels would help a ton. I'm afraid that whatever is leaching / outgassing from the dash would compromise whatever bonding agent I'd be using and it wouldn't stick. That or maybe it would leach and bleed through the Alcantara as it gets hot? I'd probably leave a small margin between the panels like 1/8" as I'm not trying to perfectly dovetail them together, don't think I could nail it seamlessly.

Is the car a full on track car, or is it a daily driver that you take to the track on occasion? If it's primarily a track car, you might as well just take the dash pad off. You'll get rid of the visibility issue and shave some weight at the same time. Also less stuff to go wrong if you do have a wreck. I know if I had a track incident and was already wearing a helmet and harness the last thing I would want was a bunch of airbags going off in my face because I tapped the wall lol

Is the car a full on track car, or is it a daily driver that you take to the track on occasion? If it's primarily a track car, you might as well just take the dash pad off. You'll get rid of the visibility issue and shave some weight at the same time. Also less stuff to go wrong if you do have a wreck. I know if I had a track incident and was already wearing a helmet and harness the last thing I would want was a bunch of airbags going off in my face because I tapped the wall lol

But but but, that would actually make sense :) Yup, the '05 is pretty much a track car. I do drive it to/from but not much else. Would love to just say screw it, yank the dash, flock it, and re-install. I don't have the stones to pull it and expect a painless re-instal so just haven't thought about it. Would almost rather do this than buying a new dash. Once its out I'm totally confident I could flock it.

But but but, that would actually make sense :) Yup, the '05 is pretty much a track car. I do drive it to/from but not much else. Would love to just say screw it, yank the dash, flock it, and re-install. I don't have the stones to pull it and expect a painless re-instal so just haven't thought about it. Would almost rather do this than buying a new dash. Once its out I'm totally confident I could flock it.
Flat black plasti dip it......easy enough to clean off any hard surface

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

if it's just a track car, do you even really need to re-install it? Just throw an autometer gauge pod in there or find a way to screw the stock cluster to the firewall and call it a day. Especially if the thing is caged and whatnot, what you need a dash for? Are you running in street stock class or street mod? If you're already in mod class I'm pretty sure you can go full dash-less without issue. At that point you might as well just strip it too, save whatever weight you can. Even while registered for street use, there's nothing illegal about not having a dash and back seats as long as you have a speedometer and horn and the bare basics

Edited by RecklessWOT

if it's just a track car, do you even really need to re-install it? Just throw an autometer gauge pod in there or find a way to screw the stock cluster to the firewall and call it a day. Especially if the thing is caged and whatnot, what you need a dash for? Are you running in street stock class or street mod? If you're already in mod class I'm pretty sure you can go full dash-less without issue. At that point you might as well just strip it too, save whatever weight you can. Even while registered for street use, there's nothing illegal about not having a dash and back seats as long as you have a speedometer and horn and the bare basics

Oh gosh no, I can't afford sanctioned racing so this car is just used for car club / HPDE days. Everything aft of the front seats is gutted. Cockpit is stock except for Schroth 4 point belts. Possibly start time trials in the future but again, even that is pretty pricey. Car is not caged, (yet.. again, price..), so yeah car is not a race car, its a track car :)

Oh gosh no, I can't afford sanctioned racing so this car is just used for car club / HPDE days. Everything aft of the front seats is gutted. Cockpit is stock except for Schroth 4 point belts. Possibly start time trials in the future but again, even that is pretty pricey. Car is not caged, (yet.. again, price..), so yeah car is not a race car, its a track car :)

understood. I have a track car that is not caged or anything either so I get it (though the track use I would consider "racing" so you could consider it a "race car" if it makes you feel good to say so lol). I used to do some SCCA autocross so there were still classes and rules but it wasn't full-on track racing. If you're not even participating in any form of sanctioned racing and are just flying around a track for your own amusement, it doesn't sound like there would be any rules that say "you MUST have a dash to fit into so-and-so class". Might as well ditch the dash alltogether. It'll get rid of your glare problem and will also shave a few pounds technically making the car faster (despite how small the weight saving seems, every ounce technically helps). Kill two birds with one stone. If it really is just a track car, what purpose does that dash serve anyway? The stereo/speakers/climate control just adds extra weight for things that aren't being used on the track. And if you're going to get rid of the vents with the dash you can remove all of the AC parts which will also save weight and even reduce drag on the engine with compressor gone. People generally don't run cars on the track when it's freezing cold out so at that point with no dash you can remove the heater core which will once again save weight in the form of more missing parts AND less coolant in the system (antifreeze weighs about 8lbs/gal), and the cooling system will be more reliable at that point as the heater core is just one more thing to get clogged and block flow.

By taking out the dash and everything attached to it (radio, climate controls, glove box, airbags, etc), speakers and their heavy magnets, the entire AC system under the hood, the heater core and blower motor, etc, in addition to everything you already have stripped out of the rear that's nothing to scoff at. Sure it's not like you're removing half the car's weight, but that certainly isn't negligible. It'll make a difference

Edited by RecklessWOT

understood. I have a track car that is not caged or anything either so I get it (though the track use I would consider "racing" so you could consider it a "race car" if it makes you feel good to say so lol). I used to do some SCCA autocross so there were still classes and rules but it wasn't full-on track racing. If you're not even participating in any form of sanctioned racing and are just flying around a track for your own amusement, it doesn't sound like there would be any rules that say "you MUST have a dash to fit into so-and-so class". Might as well ditch the dash alltogether. It'll get rid of your glare problem and will also shave a few pounds technically making the car faster (despite how small the weight saving seems, every ounce technically helps). Kill two birds with one stone. If it really is just a track car, what purpose does that dash serve anyway? The stereo/speakers/climate control just adds extra weight for things that aren't being used on the track. And if you're going to get rid of the vents with the dash you can remove all of the AC parts which will also save weight and even reduce drag on the engine with compressor gone. People generally don't run cars on the track when it's freezing cold out so at that point with no dash you can remove the heater core which will once again save weight in the form of more missing parts AND less coolant in the system (antifreeze weighs about 8lbs/gal), and the cooling system will be more reliable at that point as the heater core is just one more thing to get clogged and block flow.

By taking out the dash and everything attached to it (radio, climate controls, glove box, airbags, etc), speakers and their heavy magnets, the entire AC system under the hood, the heater core and blower motor, etc, in addition to everything you already have stripped out of the rear that's nothing to scoff at. Sure it's not like you're removing half the car's weight, but that certainly isn't negligible. It'll make a difference

Yup, from a pure track focused approach thats what I would do. AC is long gone... But its just WAY more fun to show up at the Porsche club day with a stock- (ish) looking wagon and just do this...

Edited by shralp

Yup, from a pure track focused approach thats what I would do. AC is long gone... But its just WAY more fun to show up at the Porsche club day with a stock- (ish) looking wagon and just do this...

Hah yeah I get you. That's awesome

Hi, mod here- not the one who deleted your post, but I'll have to do. You're pretty clearly aware that what you posted was inappropriate, and you did it anyway. You clearly know what you just posted here is inappropriate, and you did it anyway. I'll go ahead and edit out the naughty parts of your post like you requested. I'll also suggest that you maybe take a couple days off, maybe reconsider some choices, and think about whether you want to continue being a member of this forum.

Hi, mod here- not the one who deleted your post, but I'll have to do. You're pretty clearly aware that what you posted was inappropriate, and you did it anyway. You clearly know what you just posted here is inappropriate, and you did it anyway. I'll go ahead and edit out the naughty parts of your post like you requested. I'll also suggest that you maybe take a couple days off, maybe reconsider some choices, and think about whether you want to continue being a member of this forum.

I was aware of my most recent post being inappropriate, obviously. I did it to get a mod's attention and start a conversation. Hey look, it worked!

But when you say "I clearly know the first post was inappropriate", well obviously not or I wouldn't be so annoyed that it got removed. I was making valid points, maybe there was a bad word or two in there but hey we're all adults here so i didn't even realize that was a problem, but if it was and a mod really cared that much they could've chosen to edit that post instead of delete it alltogether. The last post I made was horrendous, straight up calling out staff and that one got left up just had a word or two removed. But I still stand firmly that my first post wasn't worthy of being removed, there wasn't even really much wrong with it besides a little language. It was relevant to the conversation and even expanded on a previous post I had made to clear up what had clearly confused a few people. And I will say to you being a mod as well, a simple PM from whoever deleted it would have been a huge sign of respect, but instead it just gets yanked because someone didn't even have the balls to say "yo dude tone it down a little, I had to edit your post a little because of so-and-so". A little common decency goes a long way. I appreciate you at least getting back to me, but even this show is kind of ridiculous. You know you could've chosen to delete the post that I obviously expected to have deleted and take the conversation private yourself but now you go ahead and make the scene I made an even bigger one. As staff aren't you supposed to try to diffuse problems rather than stir shit up worse?

And reconsider what choices? The choice to own the same car that a bunch of whiners also own? Not sure what you even meant by that part of your post. Take a couple days off? Lol if that was a formal request (like a temp-ban) then go ahead and make it official. If not, gtfo my face with that type of attitude. I'm not in the business of stirring shit up, but I also don't take crap from people. I mind my business for the most part but when someone gets all uppity with me sometimes I respond in kind. You want to make a big deal out of it well there it is. I don't want to talk/hear any more about it, I'll drop it and carry on as normal as I expect you do the same.

If you or any other staff would like to talk more about it I would appreciate it if you would kindly do the professional thing and shoot a PM my way, I am more than willing to chat if anyone ever needs to (I'm sure you'll realize I'm actually a pretty reasonable guy, I just don't like the way a few things go around here and felt the need to clear the air). If not, then we're done here and I'll mind my business and carry on as if nothing happened.

Also I would appreciate it if you could delete this whole ordeal and the related posts to clean up the thread and get it back on track. Man I hate a de-railed thread lol

I was aware of my most recent post being inappropriate, obviously. I did it to get a mod's attention and start a conversation. Hey look, it worked!

But when you say "I clearly know the first post was inappropriate", well obviously not or I wouldn't be so annoyed that it got removed. I was making valid points, maybe there was a bad word or two in there but hey we're all adults here so i didn't even realize that was a problem, but if it was and a mod really cared that much they could've chosen to edit that post instead of delete it alltogether. The last post I made was horrendous, straight up calling out staff and that one got left up just had a word or two removed. But I still stand firmly that my first post wasn't worthy of being removed, there wasn't even really much wrong with it besides a little language. It was relevant to the conversation and even expanded on a previous post I had made to clear up what had clearly confused a few people. And I will say to you being a mod as well, a simple PM from whoever deleted it would have been a huge sign of respect, but instead it just gets yanked because someone didn't even have the balls to say "yo dude tone it down a little, I had to edit your post a little because of so-and-so". A little common decency goes a long way. I appreciate you at least getting back to me, but even this show is kind of ridiculous. You know you could've chosen to delete the post that I obviously expected to have deleted and take the conversation private yourself but now you go ahead and make the scene I made an even bigger one. As staff aren't you supposed to try to diffuse problems rather than stir shit up worse?

And reconsider what choices? The choice to own the same car that a bunch of whiners also own? Not sure what you even meant by that part of your post. Take a couple days off? Lol if that was a formal request (like a temp-ban) then go ahead and make it official. If not, gtfo my face with that type of attitude. I'm not in the business of stirring shit up, but I also don't take crap from people. I mind my business for the most part but when someone gets all uppity with me sometimes I respond in kind. You want to make a big deal out of it well there it is. I don't want to talk/hear any more about it, I'll drop it and carry on as normal as I expect you do the same.

If you or any other staff would like to talk more about it I would appreciate it if you would kindly do the professional thing and shoot a PM my way, I am more than willing to chat if anyone ever needs to (I'm sure you'll realize I'm actually a pretty reasonable guy, I just don't like the way a few things go around here and felt the need to clear the air). If not, then we're done here and I'll mind my business and carry on as if nothing happened.

Also I would appreciate it if you could delete this whole ordeal and the related posts to clean up the thread and get it back on track. Man I hate a de-railed thread lol

Probably a little more snark than was required on my part, I'll give you that one. Let's try this again.

You need to take it down a notch. Having read a little ways back in this thread, I can see that you're making solid contributions to the conversation. Truth be told, I agree with your position. However, this little gem, which appears to be what kicked off this whole mess, is a good example what needs to change:

I hate to be real, I know it's gonna offend some station wagon owner's sensitive feelings sooner or later (trust me I've been around this forum long enough I know how the general population is), but it is what it is. Truth freaking hurts. Try crying about it. Or just get over it and realize what you're working with...

You knew that was going to ruffle some feathers. Please don't try to deflect by suggesting that you didn't know, or that you're "not in the business of stirring [things] up", because you clearly stated that that's what you expected to happen. In the post I'm replying to, you try to prod me into lashing out at you, then immediately state that you're "not in the business of stirring [things] up" and accuse me of making a scene or derailing the thread. Again, you're fully aware of what you're posting, and of the responses those posts will elicit. You, and you alone, are responsible for the content of your posts.

Please take a moment to read, and understand, the forum rules (clicky). You are more than welcome to have and present differing opinions, so long as said opinions are presented with civility and respect.

Covercraft makes a great windshield sunshade (UVS100). I use it everyday!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 1 month later...
One thing I will say for SDF, it's very matte, there is no glare.

It's been a couple of months now, since I did StickyDashFix, and I'm pretty happy. Dash is definitely no longer sticky at all, and it's not outgassing and yucking up the inside of my windshield - which was my main issue. I have helped it by using an interior sun shade when I park it at home (which typically it'll sit for days at a time, since we use the EV when possible).

It doesn't look great though. Kind of a mottled appearance. Perhaps if applied by a more skillful hand, this wouldn't be the case. Who knows. But it's a 15 year-old car, so I don't expect it to look great. And it's worth $5000 tops, so I couldn't really justify a new dashboard.

FOLLOWUP: My dash remains non-sticky, which is great. However, the glare, mostly off the rounded part of the dashboard above the speedo/tach, has a pretty bad glare when driving into the sun. I'm thinking of springing for one of the Dash Designs covers they have at RockAuto. Maybe the velour - can't decide if it'll just look tacky as hell, or maybe a buy-in into the hipster redneck irony thing :-)

Edited by RustyShackleford

• 2 months later...