LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good. What do you use to clean it?

I just wiped it down with a microfiber cloth. I haven't used any product on it yet. I'm waiting for someone else to test those waters and figure out what works. :lol:

Here she is. Its been in almost a year now but the new dash is looking good!

It has a slight sheen to it, which I don't mind. How's the reflection in the glass when the sun hits it?

Mine practically still looks like that, until the sunlight has been on it for a bit, then I can leave fingerprints in the tackiness of the surface.

Got the car back after 3 days. They did a great job - all buttons and vents seem to work. They even rerouted my Grom microphone cable into the A-pillar instead of how I had it behind the rubber trim beside the A-pillar. Only issue I found is they mounted my DAMD wheel one tooth towards the counter-clockwise side - simple fix, though. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the date for you xt - I asked but they forgot to snap a photo.

IMG1018.thumb.png.4cfae9e56538eeb0ba62cf7c3c54210b.png

Edited by amm203

see post 205.

So I need to take the dash apart to find out? I didn't get much out of that vid other than seeing some possible date codes in the mold on the underside of the dash really.

Are there any known safe dash protectants to use like armor all?

So I need to take the dash apart to find out? I didn't get much out of that vid other than seeing some possible date codes in the mold on the underside of the dash really.

Are there any known safe dash protectants to use like armor all?

Sorry. Did that video after I woke up :lol:. IIRC, the date code was close to where the cluster is. So I guess, it may be possible to check that date by removing the cluster and not the whole dash.

As for the dash protectants, we don't know. Or at least, I don't know.

• 7 months later...
Ahhh I didn't see details about a recall on my sticky dash! Initially I just thought there was something else going on because it was only by the front vents. now almost my whole dash is sticky :( any chance a Subaru dealer would still warranty the replacement a couple years after the recall ended? :(

Anyone know much about the Jim Keras dealer in Memphis TN? We just moved to the area a couple months ago so I haven't even visited the dealer yet.

I used to know the parts department guys quite well when I was rebuilding the engine on my '99 Outback, and again when I was working on my '01 RS. They were good people, started giving me a 30% discount as I was accounting for a sizable percentage of their monthly parts sales.

I can't say much else, I didn't try to take anything in for service; they are a fairly small place. Or were at least 6-7 yrs ago.

• 1 year later...
I've read of people still getting it fixed after the TSB period ended while others were told to go pound sand. YMMV but it wouldn't hurt to bring it to your favorite Subaru dealer and see if they'll do it. If you haven't had the final airbag recall done maybe try to see if they'll throw it in with that.

Install alone will run +$500 at most dealerships. Ask me how I know. Got my dash on credit from Subaru of America that I received last spring after an eval at a game dealership. Ordered my dash this spring, attempting to do just that, dovetail it with the airbag recall for decreased labor. No dice. So my brand new free-to-me dashboard replacement might end up costing me what I saved to install. I just moved so had to put it off. TL;DR- call SOA and plead your case. They may still honor. Just expect to cone out if pocket to get it replaced.

The dash in the track car is getting bad as well. White and hazy with a bit of tackiness. Seems to go away when I hit it with low sheen armor all for a month or so before coming back. Even with the low sheen type, it makes the dash more shiny than I’d like reflection wise.

• 2 months later...

My steering wheel airbag cover is getting really sticky on the sedan. I was wondering what this black stuff that kept getting under my fingernails was. Yup, that. Guess I need to source a new cover. Anyone have to do this? I wonder if it is still in production.

Dash is still pretty good but who knows how long that will last. Need to do the last airbag fix and have a nice rattle on the left side that I tried addressing (unsuccessfully) by stuffing foam behind it. Last airbag 'fix' at Rafferty they didn't help me out with the rattle at all. However, they did a nice job with the install otherwise so that's a good sign I hope for when I go back.

• 7 months later...

I have 2 2006's Outbacks in the family fleet. Their build tags are within a few months of each other. The 2.5i has a normal dash. The XT is sticky and cracked in a few places.

Oddly enough the XT spent most of it's life garaged and the other has mostly been carport or street parked.