LegacyGT.com

Dash Melt Down

I emailed SOA this:

Good morning.

15+ year Subaru owner here. I currently have our 3rd, 4th, and 5th Subaru Outback sitting in the driveway.

Historically, we have had a 1996 Legacy Outback that was totaled (no injuries!) in 2008. A 2003 Outback that was purchased as it's replacement, which we sold to a friend in 2018, still on the road with 210,000+ miles on her.

Currently have a 2002 L.L. Bean Outback wagon, and a 2006 2.5i Outback wagon that is my wife's daily driver and the vehicle that brought our daughter home from the hospital after her birth.

I am a former Subaru Ambassador (went inactive due to limited free time to devote), a moderator on the Subaru Outback webforum, and a member on the Legacy GT webforum.

You could say that Subaru is in our blood now.

I recently acquired Outback #5 from my parents who were the original owners. The vehicle in question is a 2006 Outback XT Limited, purchased in September of 2006 at Courtesy Subaru in Kingsport, TN. This vehicle, unlike our other 2006, has the sticky dash issue mentioned here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10084146-0699.pdf

My parents were unaware of the issue and never received a letter. At this stage in addition to the sticky dash, and especially following the airbag recall, my dash is showing several small cracks forming.

I have no expectations that a 15 year old vehicle is eligible for a free dash replacement based on an expired extended warranty, but I would like to inquire if there is anything that can be done. The repair estimate to replace the dash at the dealer is more than the cost of the recent timing belt service and honestly not an amount of money I am willing to spend on this issue. Do I have any options?

Replay from SOA

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America Inc. I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing a concern with your Subaru.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to review your concern.

I am sorry that we are not in a position to offer assistance towards the needed repair as the warranty for this concern has well expired.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Martina Brown

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Advocacy Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) option 2, ext.119008

While I am not surprised. "Yeah, that sucks, don't it?" is a terrible customer service reply.

Edited by AWDFTW

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the more I drive my wagon and keep air moving in the interior, nicer weather, the issue seems to come and go. I used a cleaning product on my dash a couple weeks ago after seeing some of these common issues, and have been driving it more with the nice weather. Yesterday it basically looked good again, was planning to try a protecting type of product soon.

The dash in the Legacy was so shiny this weekend at the track, the glare was messing with the camera on my phone using Harry’s Lap Timer attached to the windshield :( I’m really tempted to source some Alcantara and maybe bond a piece of it to the dash. Not going to pull the dash out for a full recover as I’m pretty confident I’d screw something up. My main concern would be not getting the alcantara to stick because whatever seems to be leaching out of the dash might affect whatever glue I’m using ?

I have heard the the Toyota guys (especially Lexus owners) would use GooGone to get rid of the top layer of paint, or whatever surface coating it is. That should leave you with the base layer of material. I think it is a combination of the texture and colorant used that is breaking down and is causing the stickiness. Removing this should allow you to bond a new cover over it i.e. Alcantera.

Keep us posted.

I emailed SOA this:

Replay from SOA

While I am not surprised. "Yeah, that sucks, don't it?" is a terrible customer service reply.

I don't like the reply at all, but I understand it.

As a company Subaru is more worried on moving new product versus supporting very old ones. Even the big collectable brands only recently started remanufacturing parts for their older products. Porsche and Jaguar just started making parts for cars they sold 30-40 years ago due to overwhelming demand. Unfortunately our cars will never get that kind of love now let alone in another 10 years.

Again I don't like the answer, but it does make sense.

It seems like the more I drive my wagon and keep air moving in the interior, nicer weather, the issue seems to come and go. I used a cleaning product on my dash a couple weeks ago after seeing some of these common issues, and have been driving it more with the nice weather. Yesterday it basically looked good again, was planning to try a protecting type of product soon.

I really think there is a direct correlation between humidity levels and this dash mess.

Shockingly poor response from SOA to a former ambassador. Guess I got lucky on my recipient two years ago. Maybe I can dig up her contact info. And everyone on the forum(all twelve of us left) can deluge them w requests until they cave.

I totally understand the response, and I honestly expected it. It's still a terrible response from a customer service perspective.

Decent service would be "As I am unable to correct the issue in question, here is what I can offer...". "Hate that for you bro" is not acceptable at McDonalds or Subaru in my belief. It is, however, what it is.

I hate dash mats, and dropping a grand for a new dash is a poor use of limited funds available. I'll either end up flocking it when it pisses me off enough or trying this kit:

https://stickydashfix.com/collections/hsv-holden-special-vehicles/products/sticky-dash-fix-kit-to-suit-subaru-legacy-liberty-outback-2003-2009?variant=31775509479467

They have enough problems to deal with other than a 15 + year old dash issue, I agree it was handled incorrectly, the current chip shortage is a nightmare for all manufactures at this moment (I'm in the auto business and our dealership and all others across the country are in deep shit with no vehicle's) just look at the Blue book value on preowned vehicles, they're going up, not down, just like they did last year.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/04/chip-shortage-subaru-shutting-down-sia-through-april/

I really think there is a direct correlation between humidity levels and this dash mess.

Hate to be that guy...both my cars sit next to each other outside, neither have ever been garaged.

The Spec has a slightly sticky dash, the wagon is as new, no issue. Both have had the same cleaning process. normally wipe down with a damp towel after drying the car from washing it. I have used conditioning products only a few times. Both have had many different glass cleaners from cleaning the inside of windshield.

I have owned the Spec since March 2011, wagon since new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, you're that guy :lol: How hot does it get where you live?

In my case, I did also use Armor All products, which I really feel made the situation worse.

All I know is that my dashes really suffered from this issue. But since I've been living in Utah now (with like 0-10% humidity level :eek:), the issue is basically gone. BUT, damage has already been done though (i.e. dash texture feels weird, my airbag cover too).

;)

We do get a few day's during July and Aug where it will get to high 90's may be 102F. We do have humidity. The wagon has sat out in the big parking lot at work until I retired last Aug. I do roll the windows down a inch on the hotter day's. Where the Spec has sat home outside windows up during the same hot day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wonder if there were multiple dash sources from the supply chain and some from one of the suppliers has the issue?

It is definitely a possibility.

Still want to hear from NA owners if they suffer from the issue. Not recalling any of them reporting here. But my memory is getting bad too..

My 09 Legacy GT sat outside today for ~3 hours in the sun and now I really notice the slick looking surface and the dash is sticky. Are they still covering these at all under the now expired warranty extension?

Well, I just called my daughter who has my 08 Legacy 2.5i at college and the whole dash is sticky and my 09 LGT has the sticky dash as well so we have two that are bad. I might be buying new dash panels soon. It does not look like a fun job to replace these.

So for those of you who have replaced your dash (either the warranty or bought one) - some of you have mentioned the texture is a little different, little greyer than original.

How does this contrast with the doors and rest of the dash? Does it look out of place at all or does it match well?

Pics would be best :)

Cheers.

So for those of you who have replaced your dash (either the warranty or bought one) - some of you have mentioned the texture is a little different, little greyer than original.

How does this contrast with the doors and rest of the dash? Does it look out of place at all or does it match well?

Pics would be best :)

Cheers.

I just got a new dash last week. Funny you mention it, when I picked it up my initial thought was it looked a tad more grey-ish, just figured it was because it was so new. It does not look out of place at all, I honestly thought it was all in my head. I am very particular with this car, it would drive me nuts if something was really off. It's still a damn near perfect match.

edit- just tried taking some pictures and they came out like crap. Flash made the whole interior look light grey because it's dark out lol. But seriously it's fine

Texture does seem a little different though, like it's a slightly harder plastic or something. But once again I would have never really thought anything of it until I saw you post that

Edited by RecklessWOT