LegacyGT.com

Primitive Racing Skid Plate!

It fits but is really tight. I ground down the tab on the underside of the turbo and removed the heat shield on the exhaust pipe in addition to the turbo. I have also installed 3mm spacers to the front bolts to add a little more clearance. To make matters worse we have had record snowfall creating massive ruts so the 1/8" skid plate has taken a pounding and is bent up pretty good. I have had to bend it back from the exhaust pipe a few times as it will make contact especially under aggressive downshifts. There is enough give in the engine mounts. I recommend getting the 3/16" for any application, it is much more ridgid.

I should also mention with my KW V3 at the highest setting and with the plate on I only have 3.25" of ground clearence from the lowest part of the plate which is the transmission cross member mount, I estimate I lost about 0.75" with the plate install. My car setup and driving environment is pretty much a worst-case scenario right now.

Happy to have the plate though.

KNG

I was planning on getting this in the near future, but if it won't just fit in easily with the turbo I may just stay away.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have yet to install mine. Had it since mid December. Contemplating clearance as well, but I haven't even put it in to tell if there is an issue or not.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I was planning on getting this in the near future, but if it won't just fit in easily with the turbo I may just stay away.

It fit my turbo (and many other turbos) just fine. Had to remove the turbo shield, but that's a flimsy piece of metal as opposed to the beefy skid plate (and mine was mostly rusted away when I took it out after 2 years). As far as I know (and anyone can please correct me if I'm wrong) killerniceguy is the only one that has had any fitment problems.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran over a ridge of "snow" from a plow that turned out to be solid effing ice. When my car came down on it the 1/8" skid plate was there to protect the turbo and engine. However it bent it enough that the skid plate was touching the turbo flange so I had to take the plate off as there was rubbing. I am VERY glad I had the plate as the place where I came down on the ice was right where my turbo sits.

See pictures for the marks it left on my skid plate.

Long story short, I just ordered a 3/16" plate that should be in tomorrow. I feel so naked not having one on at the moment. Naked in a briar patch...

IMAG1378.thumb.jpg.80061defad1a6bd6c1aa5e29e2bb36df.jpg

IMAG1380.thumb.jpg.fb7a74df798e88e24afa231095882aaa.jpg

I'm just here for the mods.

I ran over a ridge of "snow" from a plow that turned out to be solid effing ice. When my car came down on it the 1/8" skid plate was there to protect the turbo and engine. However it bent it enough that the skid plate was touching the turbo flange so I had to take the plate off as there was rubbing. I am VERY glad I had the plate as the place where I came down on the ice was right where my turbo sits.

See pictures for the marks it left on my skid plate.

Long story short, I just ordered a 3/16" plate that should be in tomorrow. I feel so naked not having one on at the moment. Naked in a briar patch...

Take a hammer/mallet and pound it back the opposite direction, reinstall it. It will offer at least some protection needed until the new one comes in. It may offer more protection if done correctly.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Take a hammer/mallet and pound it back the opposite direction, reinstall it. It will offer at least some protection needed until the new one comes in. It may offer more protection if done correctly.

This, very much this. If that isn't proof positive that something can happen out of nowhere I don't know what it is. Hammer that sucker out while you're waiting for the biggun.

Ugh. The WWI trenches pretending to be VT roads this winter have lunched my plastic doily. Problem is, it's the front half, which I'd like to keep when I upgrade to the Primitive Racing dealy. The service manual shows 3 different under covers, all with the same front piece (conveniently without part numbers, bastards). Surfing the "genuine" parts sites shows only the rear piece of the LGT cover, so I'm pretty sure that the front half isn't included.

Does anyone have a part number for just the front piece of the undertray? By the time I rip mine off I doubt I'll be able to find a number.

Oh, and has anyone thought about drilling/tapping the holes either side of the jack point to avoid having to use those !_@#)$_!@ clips? Damn things have a 50% failure rate when I try to remove them, especially in winter.

• 1 month later...
my plastic cover cracked during the brutal cold of this February so I guess ill be looking at these to cover her up. they look gorgeous. anyone have a weight for the 3/16" front and rear skids? 1/8" front skid?

Quick note for 3.6r owners...all three plates will fit: engine, transmission, and rear diff skid plates.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

I will add pictures as well, but my phone is not wanting to charge...anyway, the minimum clearance, on a flat surface with stock sized tires, wheels and suspension, on my 2010 LGT is right around the 4 1/4" mark. This is using the 1/8" thick Primitive skid plate and the washers that come in the kit.

I have a Primitive 3/16" on my WRX. It is BURLY -- you can jack up the car with it near the mounting screws. Next time around, I'm getting one with the oil filter/change opening because holding that heavy plate in place while trying to get the threads started on those screws is a pain in the ass.

I will add pictures as well, but my phone is not wanting to charge...anyway, the minimum clearance, on a flat surface with stock sized tires, wheels and suspension, on my 2010 LGT is right around the 4 1/4" mark. This is using the 1/8" thick Primitive skid plate and the washers that come in the kit.

For reference, my current clearance with the 3/16" skid plate, bilsteins and swifts should probably be measured in lulz as opposed to inches. Smacked a few random road imperfections last night. :lol:

^^^ it looked like I lost about an inch. However, the lowest point is just behind the front wheels, so there is little chance of scrubbing a speed bump as I go over. With all three pieces, my lowest point between wheels or where I would be "high centered" is still the factory Y.

I like these plates. Would be nice if we had a piece between the transmission and rear diff.

20140424_094325.thumb.jpg.043ae648d004f98e5c3f4e9238de46cf.jpg

243467969_2014-04-2411_02_49.jpg.6faac8c5335bf0a4d06deba68d0f0877.jpg

^^^ it looked like I lost about an inch. However, the lowest point is just behind the front wheels, so there is little chance of scrubbing a speed bump as I go over. With all three pieces, my lowest point between wheels or where I would be "high centered" is still the factory Y.

I've had mine on for a few weeks now. I had primitive make the spacers about .15" longer because I wasnt sure about the nameless downpipe being larger or hanging down more than stock.. but I still haven't had a problem with the speed bumps. I have had issues it hitting the ground at speed on some crappy roads. No dents but its all scraped up now. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived