LegacyGT.com

Primitive Racing Skid Plate!

^ See what a little knowledge and experience can get you. I'm starting to think I need a propane torch just to work under my car, but am I silly to think that I've already got just enough knowledge and experience to be dangerous. Do I really want to set my car on fire in my driveway. ;) I'm already sufficiently afraid of dropping a car off jackstands on my head. I'd rather not hurt myself in my inexperience. :)

I agree that driving too far like that is probably not good. But there's a couple other connection points that probably will prevent a catastrophic failure, but that bit about the aluminum diff cover didn't occur to me. Vibration probably isn't great for that. Thanks for the advice fellas!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always have to PB those down hard.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A great victory over pesky inanimate objects today! Such a nice day out I decided to take one last swing at installing the Primitive rear diff cover... Since I now knew that it was studs I was dealing with, I just kept slowly loosening them a small amount at a time (praying to the car gods each time that they wouldn't unthread completely from the rear diff and drop it onto my chest) until I felt like I had enough room to slide the cover between the diff and the frame. It took a lot of patience and coordination, but the feeling when I finally felt it thunk into place was totally worth it! :)

Next up was getting the bolts/nuts that secure the front of the diff cover to the frame... A pretty tight squeeze there as well... getting the bolts in was OK, but not a lot of room for hands/tools to get the nuts onto the top of the frame and then to hold it in place while tightening the bolts from below, but once again a little patience (and a few small skin/blood sacrifices to the car gods) got the job done. Then just had to re-tighten the rear diff studs and voila! Completely ready to run stuff over with reckless abandon! Pics of finished install attached.

If anyone has more questions, let me know and I'll try and help! Not a "hard" job... but kind of a tricky one... A second set of hands is helpful to push the cover up while leveraging against the ends of the studs, but not necessary. Good luck!

001.thumb.JPG.1f110d7c0e49b648fa1e47662196a01a.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.ddea56a1c4c47cd514c173a57bb683d5.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.398518b6a7cb2d5d99d7cac2a813f1fb.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.57bf592027292bc27af8d5cf840b9615.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.98bd0a613de3b3e309b169bfdffc7acb.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.afe0639e120a3deec4030ce6cc2cf372.JPG

@pfoyle ..

Did you install the rear diff cover with the car on ramps?... Wouldn't it have been easier to take the weight off the rear?... I'm asking because when I tried to install it I couldn't get the nuts loose!... I thought it was because the car needed to be on candles/lift ......

Did you install the rear diff cover with the car on ramps?... Wouldn't it have been easier to take the weight off the rear?... I'm asking because when I tried to install it I couldn't get the nuts loose!... I thought it was because the car needed to be on candles/lift ......

Yes, did it on ramps. Don't think ramps vs. jack stands should make a difference, as the diff doesn't seem to be supporting any extra weight from the suspension... Once you get the nut/stud loosened, the diff can be levered forward relatively easily (I used the spare wheel well as my pry point, and the end of the studs as the pivot)...

Living in Quebec, I'd guess your snow and salt situation is similar (or worse) than ours here... maybe rust/corrosion is the issue? Blast it with PB, use an offset 17mm wrench, and possibly a breaker bar? Even if the stud turns rather than the nut, you can still create enough room to get the plate up there... Just BE CAREFUL if you are turning the stud! You don't want to back it completely out of the diff cover and risk dropping the diff or throwing off the alignment of the stud!

Yes, did it on ramps. Don't think ramps vs. jack stands should make a difference, as the diff doesn't seem to be supporting any extra weight from the suspension... Once you get the nut/stud loosened, the diff can be levered forward relatively easily (I used the spare wheel well as my pry point, and the end of the studs as the pivot)...

Living in Quebec, I'd guess your snow and salt situation is similar (or worse) than ours here... maybe rust/corrosion is the issue? Blast it with PB, use an offset 17mm wrench, and possibly a breaker bar? Even if the stud turns rather than the nut, you can still create enough room to get the plate up there... Just BE CAREFUL if you are turning the stud! You don't want to back it completely out of the diff cover and risk dropping the diff or throwing off the alignment of the stud!

Thanks... It's a '12 so it hasn't seen any salt ... yet...

It was probably the angle as well ... I'm waiting for my buddies lift to try again...

• 6 months later...
Mine's still there too! Never really think about it, except when I scrape on a slanted driveway or a big speed bump, and then I am REALLY glad it's there! Should be installing my Bilsteins/RCE Blacks next week, in which case I'll be even MORE glad I have it! Really like this "mod" since it's all about prevention and peace of mind... you don't want to bottom out on something and then say "Boy, I really wish I had a skidplate/rear diff cover!"

Mine has been awesome too. Agree - everytime I hit something, I just smile. With that low mount turbo - just for my nerves. Everytime I take it to the dealership they have a discussion about it being impressed.

Loving mine. Already had a few satisfying "PIIIIIING"s.

I am, however, having a little problem with exhaust clearance with my rear diff guard. It's causing my exhaust to exit dangerously close to the body work. I have to decide if I care enough about that to go get my magnaflows bent...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the picture of the plate over the rear diff, and it reminded me of when I ran over a starter on the road.

It didn't do much to the front end of the car, where a larger skid plate would go. The damage was about midway and toward the back as it damaged my exhaust system while bouncing between the bottom of the car and the road.

I think the plate over the rear diff looks nice, but I wonder if it has saved anyone.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Can I get some shots from the side of people with this plate installed. I'm a little surprised at how how the rear of mine is hanging down.

Raining today, but I can try to snap some when the weather cooperates... You want pics of the skidplate (from the side) or the rear diff cover?

• 5 weeks later...

After destroying approximately one OEM plastic shield a year, I installed Primitive skidplate yesterday and love it. Paul had great customer service, and I would highly recommend buying one of these.

The only downside is that the sides are left open, so leave the OEM shield on and trim if needed. It is very nice to know that I could run over a piece of firewood or ice chunk and not have to worry about anything.

After destroying approximately one OEM plastic shield a year, I installed Primitive skidplate yesterday and love it. Paul had great customer service, and I would highly recommend buying one of these.

The only downside is that the sides are left open, so leave the OEM shield on and trim if needed. It is very nice to know that I could run over a piece of firewood or ice chunk and not have to worry about anything.

How much was the shipping to Denver? I'm up in Boulder and am considering ordering one as I also go through the plastic ones like crazy, but I'm afraid the shipping is going to be as much as the plate itself.

Thanks

How much was the shipping to Denver? I'm up in Boulder and am considering ordering one as I also go through the plastic ones like crazy, but I'm afraid the shipping is going to be as much as the plate itself.

Thanks

It was $246 shipped with holes for both the filter and drain plug. For me, that was about 2 1/2 years worth of OEM shields.

I've also heard the "bong" noise numerous times. Old plastic tray was trashed on my lowered wagon. I've had mine for about a year and it's great, mostly there for winter coverage. No access holes, just remove the tray for oil changes, which is easy. Hardware is becoming questionable/rusty pretty quickly.

Shipping OR to PA was around $25 iirc.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=134123&d=1353255834

• 4 weeks later...
Bit the bullet and ordered one of these, scheduled to get it delivered on saturday. :spin:

Hope to get it put on Sunday!!

You won't regret it! I just bottomed out on a big bump on my way home from work two days ago... just a satisfying "ping" and a smile! :cool:

Archived