LegacyGT.com

Primitive Racing Skid Plate!

I've had mine on for a few weeks now. I had primitive make the spacers about .15" longer because I wasnt sure about the nameless downpipe being larger or hanging down more than stock.. but I still haven't had a problem with the speed bumps. I have had issues it hitting the ground at speed on some crappy roads. No dents but its all scraped up now. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We can compare ride height when we meet up. I've had zero issues on the road.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I recently installed the primitive racing skid plate, and the first thing I noticed was the noise. The skid plate seemed to operate like an echo chamber from the engine.

In my first attempt to alleviate the noise issue, I installed sound deadening material on the top side of the skid plate in a chevron pattern, put rubber stoppers in each of the mounts (e.g., to dampen the connection between the skid plate and the frame), and add rubber fender washers between the mounts and the frame. At the same time, I noticed that the skid plate was in contact and rubbing the bottom of the turbo oil pan--a pretty major design flaw in my opinion (of course, I'm sure PR did not have too many 5th gen LGTs to determine the manufacturing tolerances, etc.). This solution had very little affect on the noise.

In my second attempt, I bought 1" furniture leg tips, trimmed them, drilled a hole through the center of them, and placed them over each of the mounts. The rubber pad at the end of the tips probably provided a couple extra millimeters of clearance.

http://i.imgur.com/V3TIU0s.jpg

This solution worked and the skid plate now does not appear to provide any more noise than the stock plastic splash plate.

I think most of the noise was probably coming through the turbo oil pan, and thus, the additional spacing probably provided the majority of the solution.

Most of us have removed the turbo shield.... No need when you have the plate. The guy who designed it drove a Gt and did not have one either...

Yep, I removed the turbo shield. I'm saying that the Primitive Racing Plate was adjacent (i.e., in contact with) the turbo oil pan and rubbing.

That's odd. I have the primitive skidplate, and for me it has too much clearance if anything. You don't happen to have a pic of it unmounted do you? I'm curious to see how long the mounting points are on your skidplate

I don't but surely I will have it off soon as the weather gets nicer in these parts.

That's odd. I have the primitive skidplate, and for me it has too much clearance if anything. You don't happen to have a pic of it unmounted do you? I'm curious to see how long the mounting points are on your skidplate

Same here. ill be investigating shortening the the offset tubes to get my self some ground clearance back

• 1 month later...

Wastegates dump straight down. Based on the black marks on the under side of the skid plate, the dump tubes are relatively close to where the vents are on either side of the skid plate.

I figure there's enough air flow going on down there not to worry about it.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm looking into getting the skid plate, anyone know how much ground clearance you lose with it?

depends how you install it, i have mine mounted over the plastic cover to keep the salt out and i lost about 1.5", there is more you can do to reduce that but just tossing it on top of the plastic cover you lose a good amount

depends how you install it, i have mine mounted over the plastic cover to keep the salt out and i lost about 1.5", there is more you can do to reduce that but just tossing it on top of the plastic cover you lose a good amount

Do you still have your turbo heatshield?

Mine was missing about 1/3 of it's mass thanks to salt. No issues with heat and your undertray? I still have mine, but it's not on right now.

mine was proabably at about 3/4 its original mass but it was all lost at the connection points. i literally reached up and pulled it off with maybe 5lbs of force. the underdtray may be ever so slightly melty but it doesn't really effect anything since its all being supported my the skid plate

Archived