LegacyGT.com

Primitive Racing Skid Plate!

I'd like to get one of these but from the looks of all these pictures it looks like it allows even more crap to get up into the engine bay than the plastic stocker.

Already have enough rust issues, I feel like installing one of these will only make things worse.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have any pics, but I laid the primitive plate on top of the old plastic tray and traced it out. Then I cut the sides off the OEM tray, and installed them together. Same coverage with the aluminium center section.

I'd like to get one of these but from the looks of all these pictures it looks like it allows even more crap to get up into the engine bay than the plastic stocker.

Already have enough rust issues, I feel like installing one of these will only make things worse.

If you go back to post #43 you can see a pic of mine with the outer plastic stock piece overlapping the Primitive plate... it's not necessarily pretty, but the coverage is about the same as OEM... unless you're talking about the oil drain holes, etc... but really there isn't that much stuff kicked up from (literally) under the car... it's mostly coming in through the lower front grill... the skid plate doesn't have much to do with that...

• 1 month later...
Everytime I change my oil and get up underneath, it makes me smile seeing new scrape marks. Now putting it back on by myself... I'm like a spider monkey holding it up laying on my back while I put the screws in. :p Glad I'm 5'7 and still somewhat nimble!

• 5 weeks later...

I installed my primitive skid plate (removed turbo heat shield as per instructions) and had to shim the plate 6mm all around to stop the engine from contacting the plate particularly under deceleration. Has anyone else had to shim to this extent? With the KWV3 at the highest recommended setting this gives me about 3" of ground clearance...not much.

I also removed the front plastic tray that some keep. For those that are running the skid plate only do you notice an increase of road debris or snow entering the engine compartment?

Breaking that seal has an adverse effect on your IC air flow IIRC.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Breaking that seal has an adverse effect on your IC air flow IIRC.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I fit the front plastic oe piece back on. I measured my ground clearance to be 3.25 inched from the lowest point of the plate with the 6mm spacers in....not all all that comfortable about this ground clearance.

When I removed the heat shield from the turbo I think I remember seeing a thin mounting tab on the bottom of the turbo that held the shield. I suspect this might be the cause of the vibration as it appears to be the lowest point. Can I bend this piece back?

• 2 weeks later...
So skid plate does not fit turbo version correctlly?

It fits but is really tight. I ground down the tab on the underside of the turbo and removed the heat shield on the exhaust pipe in addition to the turbo. I have also installed 3mm spacers to the front bolts to add a little more clearance. To make matters worse we have had record snowfall creating massive ruts so the 1/8" skid plate has taken a pounding and is bent up pretty good. I have had to bend it back from the exhaust pipe a few times as it will make contact especially under aggressive downshifts. There is enough give in the engine mounts. I recommend getting the 3/16" for any application, it is much more ridgid.

I should also mention with my KW V3 at the highest setting and with the plate on I only have 3.25" of ground clearence from the lowest part of the plate which is the transmission cross member mount, I estimate I lost about 0.75" with the plate install. My car setup and driving environment is pretty much a worst-case scenario right now.

Happy to have the plate though.

KNG

Archived