LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT V8 Build (LS2/LQ4)

If you can upload the pic or shoot me an email with a few I would be forever grateful. The SHO ideas is awesome and I have been tempted to find a use for a SHO motor as there are 4 of them in the local Pull a Part junkyard

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SHO V8 is only 7" longer than an EJ25 to the front of the pulley. And it's so narrow, you can keep the turbos low, and piping compact. Drop the CR to ~9:1, and you are all set.

Plus, the soundtrack is totally unique and really rev happy. Just make an adapter plate to bolt up a Subaru 6-speed, move the condenser to the front of the vertical core support, and run push fans on an aluminum radiator.

It wouldn't be hard to build a somewhat reliable 500hp street car out of that.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I like the LS idea, and it is definitely a more realistic swap. The SHO V8 swap would be a massive custom effort, not really suited to a project you actually want to finish in any reasonable time frame. It'd likely take 3x as long, and cost 3x as much.

What are you doing for EM? I think the GM ECU has all of the provisions to handle the Subaru gauges. The ABS computer is a stand-alone module in the Subaru, and I'm fairly sure that module is what drives the speedo (though it might do so indirectly, routing speedo signal first to the ECU... which could easily be bypassed). The GM ECU should output a 4-cylinder friendly tach signal, which should directly handle the Subaru tach needle.

Also, check your PM's.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am going to use a GM ECU and Harness. The speedo is still up in the air but we can use a Dakota Digital box if necessary. The tach should be easy and we can throw a resistor on if needed.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

The tach should be able to be driven from the GM ECU without an issue, and the speedo can probably be driven straight from the ABS computer. Check the FSM for the wiring path for the speedo signal.

That's good to know

The tach should be able to be driven from the GM ECU without an issue, and the speedo can probably be driven straight from the ABS computer. Check the FSM for the wiring path for the speedo signal.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

The iron block 6.0 is basically going to be free to me compared to $2k or so for an aluminum 6.0 and the weight difference is really not that big of a deal to me

Why not an Aluminum block? Just curious

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

Plus you can always hunt out an Al block later, too.

What year LS1 harness? '99 and up went serial comm. for the gauges (except for tach, i think) while '98 has analog gauges; which you could theoretically convert to work with tour stock cluster. Only issue is that '98 pcm isn't boost friendly since you can't use custom tables with a 2bar MAP sensor; but they may have got a solution for that now (it's been a while since I played with them), and you're not planning forced induction ... yet!

The harness is 03 and so is the ECU. We have used that combo successfully on other cars and are able to get signal from it, I just have to see how to input it to the Legacy cluster

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

• Mega Users
To me the V8 miata would be much better and funner to drive that a V8 subaru. I have been in a LS3 miata and let me tell you what. It was a blast to drive and race on a track.

:orly:

Mustang, what is the purpose of your existance in this thread?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Im interested as to what you're going to use for a rear end.

An R180 would hold up.

Archived