LegacyGT.com

LGT replaced by Supercharged Shelby GT with mods

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sigh... car won't be ready today after all. Injectors were too small, which wasn't much of a surprise actually. Going from 39# on 91oct to 47# on E85 was going to be tight, but the math suggested it would work. But it didn't.. I already had the 47# injectors so that is why we went with those first. Waiting for the car to cool down now, then swapping in some new Ford Racing 60# injectors and then time to finish this thing up!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 4 weeks later...

The tune is done, 40 days later. Long story. Here are a few pics..

It's running on E85 now.. YES!!! (Do the pictures trigger deja vu? :) )

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/E85-1_zpsa93060c7.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/E85-2_zps5d2c7a57.jpg

We ended up dropping boost because it was making too much power for the stock block. The rods are pressed metal and the weakest link. The established limit for rods is 450whp uncorrected. The tuners had hoped to run 12.5psi and just drop timing to limit upper rpm power, but they were not able to drop it enough... when they couldn't get it to less than 480whp by dropping timing so much that the exhaust was black smoke (incomplete combustion), they had no choice but to change pulleys. We ended up using my bigger pulley, which makes 9.9psi.

I'll attach both a corrected and uncorrected graph. With the 1.26 CF, the car made 590whp/525tq. Uncorrected, it made 467whp/416tq.

All in all it makes a little more power (~30whp) more than before, but it is a much safer tune and so happy to be back on E85.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/ShelbyDyno2013-2_zps3be9688e.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/ShelbyDyno2013-1_zps5ecb2f06.jpg

My '05 LGT

I would love to see what that car would do at sea level and with a proper short block, ala, MMR or something similar.

Yeah me too! I should add that we set a very low red-line on the car, as another safe-guard and way of limiting power. We set it all the way down at 6300rpms. In my previous tune it was 6700rpms. Most guys will shift these at 6400-6700rpms at the strip but I'll be running lower rpms.

Bolskey, I'm pretty sure it would be good for another 100-120whp with a proper short block... around 700whp corrected. If I could run those last 400rpms, have my 2.6psi boost back (running smaller pulley), and maximize safe power with timing, I think it is there. They accidentally hit 622whp on one run while trying to back off power... The shop owner sounded half serious that if I bought the rods and rotating kit, he'd pay for the labor.

I do have 2 problems now though before I can race... first, the driveshaft is going out.... grr... this is an expensive light-weight aftermarket driveshaft already and I hope it can be repaired. I think too many launches and/or too much testing of my new line-locks. :redface: And the other problem is that my FFS shifting with my WOT box isn't running right... I think because my redline is so low.

My '05 LGT

• 2 weeks later...
Where is that at?

Western at 128th & Lowell. Usually all the Western's follow the same pricing.. wonder if they've all gone down. It had been $2.99 for a long time.. I think the cheapest I've seen it since ~2007 is $2.29 or $2.39.. didn't think I'd see it this cheap again.

My '05 LGT

Man, this car is a beast. It's been fun following your adventures with it. Seems like it makes plenty of power. And running on cheap corn makes it even better. How many miles of regular driving can you do on a tank of E85? What size is your tank?

Cheap corn is good, and running with less boost and making more power is great. Wait... did you say "regular driving"? I don't do that in this car. I don't drive it a lot (less than 3k miles first year, just 4-5 times a week and not to work) and when I do I usually have very spirited drives. I know I could get 25mpg on the highway back on the 91oct tune, so I could probably get 18mpg or so now on highway, which would put it real close to what I got with the LGT. With the way I drive I doubt I'm getting more than 10-12mpg.

My '05 LGT

• 9 months later...

Time for an update. I've put 3500 miles on the car since I got it 22 months ago. It will hit 20k miles next month and still looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. After all, it IS a garage queen.

So last year I went in to get a custom tune. I wanted to improve my 568whp baseline canned 91oct 12psi tune. Since the engine was already pushed beyond advisable safe power limits for the stock 4.6L, my major concern was safety. A custom tune by a really good tuner will be much safer than a canned e-tune even if the actual power levels aren't all that much different. We dropped boost to just 9.5psi but went with E85 and added more timing. All said and done, it left the shop with a bunch of new mods (intake, dual boost-a-pumps, line-locks, 60# injectors, etc) and 590whp. So a modest gain in power, at least on paper.

In retrospect, changing the tune was a good idea but not the brilliant idea that I thought it was. First, I ended up a little slower at the dragstrip. On the original tune I ran several 11.5-11.6's at 120-121mph (5860' elevation). On the new tune I was a bit slower... mostly 11.7's at 117-119mph. So, I ended up losing a touch of real-world power despite supposedly gaining. No biggie, but disappointing. Secondly, unlike Subaru motors which primarily grenade due to detonation, the Ford 4.6L primarily grenades from rods taking on too much torque. So, I ended up with a tune that is marginally safer, probably runs a tad cooler, and slightly slower (undetectable on the street though). However, it is a better tune as partial throttle and cruise are now awesome.

I like drag racing, but between getting slightly slower and having to put on drag slicks to go to the strip, it is isn't worth it to me anymore. If I get faster, it pretty much means building the motor... which would take me below 11.5 at Bandimere and I'd also be required to put in a cage. I don't want to do any of that. So I sold the complete dragstrip tire and wheel package this week.

The biggest issue I've had since the car since day 1 is grip. Punching the throttle at 45mph just makes the wheels spin. That is fun once or twice then it gets very very old. I've never been able to go WOT in first and going WOT in second is dangerous... I've fishtailed a lot, bumps cause spinning.. it's just a mess. I finally figured out that it isn't the fault of the Shelby nor is it just a function of having good power. It's the very showy expensive 20" wheels I've got. With those wheels, the sidewalls are very thin (2.5" on the rears). Without sidewalls, and a modest 275 width, it's no wonder they just spin.

So, I am looking to sell my beautiful 20" tire and rims also! Since the car gets use as a weekend warrior and is just limited to street, I will be going with function over style. (Plus the car is over-styled anyhow so something more subdued is fine with me).

I'm going to go with light weight racing wheels and the scheme called "big n' littles"! Just 17x7's up front with 225's, and in the rear where it counts I want TONS OF RUBBER NOT WHEEL!! So 15x10's in the back with some mean sticky 295's. Ha.. going from a +2 setup in the rear to a -3.. quite a difference! The car will look less glitzy for sure but should look a little more scary on the business end. It should be a total blast to drive as it will not only lose 50-75 lbs in weight but it will finally hook up and I'll be having lots of fun in my favorite gears (1st and 2nd!). First a picture of MY car with the big 20's, then a couple pics of OTHER stangs with the exact setup I'm going for. I admit I might not like the looks as much, but I'll love it driving!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/SAM_2935a_zpsa93ed312.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/darkstars3_zps8687d8d1.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/darkgt500_zps151311ce.jpg

My '05 LGT

interesting choice LEGEND. I like the different size front and rear tire but sounds a little drastic to me, in the rim size that is. 17's on the front and 16's on the rear may look a little better and will still hook up a ton better than your 20's (damn that's so large for a muscle car)

interesting choice LEGEND. I like the different size front and rear tire but sounds a little drastic to me, in the rim size that is. 17's on the front and 16's on the rear may look a little better and will still hook up a ton better than your 20's (damn that's so large for a muscle car)

Thanks for your thoughts on this... I'm still mulling it over. I'm pretty sold on this Darkstar rim as they are lightweight racing rims and very nice. I have some options on both the front and rear.

For the rear, my options are getting a 15x10 wheel and either 275's or 295's, or going with a 17x9.5 wheel and going with 275's. I'm kinda on the fence. I know the 15" setup gives me more rubber and more stick, but since I'm "only" at 530whp it might be more rubber than I really need. My guess is a lot of these guys that run the "big n' little" setup do it because they are north of 750whp and you really need all the rubber you can get at that point. I'm talking it over with a guy at 1320 wheels and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. So... I might have 17's all around... hmmm... anything will be better performing than these 20's!

My '05 LGT

Here is what the wheels/tires look like going with the 17" setup both front and back... I do like the looks better but I wonder how much performance I'd lose.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/darks17_zps741c461d.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/darks172_zpse61ffd5f.jpg

My '05 LGT

for looks I'd the 17 setup is the way to go. if you plan on breaking out of the 6XX range than go with the rear 15's and keep yourself from having to buy another 2 down the road. but honestly the 17's with 275's should be plenty. beside's you still want to be able break them free now and again ahahaha :whippin:

And I think I'd feel like a bit of a poser with the 15's in the rear

I wasn't gonna say it. I'm glad you did:icon_razz. saw a guy at walmart with a bunch of MartParts and a lifted rear with big fatties and probably 14's or 15's on the rear and freakin skinny ass tires on the front, looked like spares. asked him what he runs at the strip and he says "oh I've never pulled it" freakin fool. that's obviously not you as his car was a POS early 90's ford something.

Alright pulled the trigger finally! Decided on 17's straight across.. so it should look like that blue one, above. For tires I went with some very badass Mickey Thompson Strip/Street tires in 295/45/17.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/et_street_radial_b.jpg

My '05 LGT

Takes more than tires to hook hard... but they are def part of the equation.

For sure. I've got everything else already done as far as suspension mods goes. I don't even care that much about launching I just want to be able to floor it rolling in first and second gears and go FORWARD and not start fishtailing and making an ass of myself.

My '05 LGT

Glad you decided on the 17's, it will do the car much more justice and still look professional imo.

btw any new details on the wrx acquisition?

I might be interested in swapping cars for a cruise like you mentioned sometime, especially with your new tire setup as I don't care much for burning tires over forward momentum either :)

*plus I feel MUCH safer when I know I have a little traction in the lower gears*

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Archived