LegacyGT.com

LGT replaced by Supercharged Shelby GT with mods

Although I do agree that a full custom setup like that would most likely requires more work in up keep I do not know what basic work would require a turbo removal. With the turbos and piping be so far forward like it is the only items you couldnet get at would be on the front end of the engine.

The new shelby stang is cool no doubt but they have traction issues for obvious reasons. There is no reason the car should not be trapping 130mph with traction.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@05GT Guru - Yes, traction in these things is atrocious. Sure I expect wheel spin with 600hp but even part throttle in 1st or 2nd is bad. I've even got suspension mods and new tires to help combat the issue. I race 2 guys with built supercharged Caddy CTS-V's... They both make more power than my Shelby and can still race at Bandimere on street tires (and kick my ass - they run 11.3-11.6 all day).

@mustanendsley: The guy I bought my car from bought a new Boss and spent another $10k on mods (Ford installed supercharger, cams, exhaust). That car is wayyy faster than mine.. he sends me the timeslips.. running 11.2s at 126mph (5900' altitude.)

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

The new Boss would be all over the ZO6 and leave the crappy vett crying. I herd the Boss is faster than the gt 500.

Faster how is the question? The new boss can beat the new GT500 around some tracks but in the 1/4mile the gt500 should have no problem smoking the boss even on stock tires with traction issues. The boss is a low to mid 12s car with a good driver and the new gt500 is a mid 11 second car on stock tires. A c6 z06 with the sport pack will rape a boss around just about any track and in a straight line. I don't think even most mustang guys believe a boss is a better performance platform than a c6 z06.

@05GT Guru - Yes, traction in these things is atrocious. Sure I expect wheel spin with 600hp but even part throttle in 1st or 2nd is bad. I've even got suspension mods and new tires to help combat the issue. I race 2 guys with built supercharged Caddy CTS-V's... They both make more power than my Shelby and can still race at Bandimere on street tires (and kick my ass - they run 11.3-11.6 all day).

@mustanendsley: The guy I bought my car from bought a new Boss and spent another $10k on mods (Ford installed supercharger, cams, exhaust). That car is wayyy faster than mine.. he sends me the timeslips.. running 11.2s at 126mph (5900' altitude.)

I meant a stock 2013 gt500 should be trapping 130mph with traction. There are plenty of guys who get mustangs to hook and hook HARD, have you spoken with anyone who tracks these cars regularly?

Did you watch the Laguna Seca Boss kicked the crap out of theses so called track cars on the road track?

Do you mean where ford built a car specifically for one race track called laguna seca and then raced a whole bunck of factory cars not specifically setup for the track? Yes I read the article and the boss beat the base z06 by .6 seconds and lost to the z06 carbon sport pack by almost 3 seconds and the zr1 by 5 seconds. Or was this on a different track?

One track does not fit all, some tracks give one car an advantage over the other and some vice versa. There are tracks where a miata or s2000 would smoke a z06 or a boss.

I meant a stock 2013 gt500 should be trapping 130mph with traction. There are plenty of guys who get mustangs to hook and hook HARD, have you spoken with anyone who tracks these cars regularly?

Right, I knew what you meant. No, I need to talk to some guys and have them get behind the wheel of my car. I've wondered if my traction control is working as it should.

As for the Vette vs. Stang, I don't have a huge preference. I kind of like the looks and size of the Vette better, but for another 10 years I really need more than 2 seats. Fastest straight line acceleration *with traction* is most important to me. I'm not a Mustang guy, just happened to be driving one for now. I really want a GT-R, actually.

My '05 LGT

Right, I knew what you meant. No, I need to talk to some guys and have them get behind the wheel of my car. I've wondered if my traction control is working as it should.

As for the Vette vs. Stang, I don't have a huge preference. I kind of like the looks and size of the Vette better, but for another 10 years I really need more than 2 seats. Fastest straight line acceleration *with traction* is most important to me. I'm not a Mustang guy, just happened to be driving one for now. I really want a GT-R, actually.

I have bias towards cars with lsx engines in them because that is what I have been into for years now but I have plenty of friends with stangs and give them respect for their cars. My buddy just got finished putting new heads on his 93 stang after he warped the crap out of the old set. His car has a garage built 306 with a custom trubo setup, at 9.5psi he put down a hair under 500whp and traps 124-129mph. He hasn't been to the track enough in the new setup to get it to hook well, I think his best time is a 12.4 but he could have also used some new tires. He keeps dumping all his money into his frame off resto of a 70 chevelle and is actually putting the stang up for sale to further fund the project.

Still wish I kept my 2000 T/A and made it into a more drag oriented car.

• 2 weeks later...

Took this video a while ago driving 4th gear around 3000rpms and just some quick throttle stabs. Tough to see what the boost gauge is reading but it goes from vacuum (cruise) to 12.5psi boost just as quickly as it takes my foot to hit the floor. Instant 450-500 wtq with no waiting. (It's why traction in 1st and 2nd isn't good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YkZ0oWgb8&feature=youtu.be

My '05 LGT

I keep telling the wife a gtr is the next step for me, she disagrees STRONGLY! :(

Something about spending 50-60k on a car at the moment that i will most likely void the warranty a few days after purchase doesnt sit well with her.....i will keep on working on it....:)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I picked up a low mileage '01 supercharged Cobra convertible w/ a new engine/forged internals and 422whp for playing around tooling around in during the summer.

I can only imagine how much more fun your car is to drive with all that horsepower!

Maybe I'll look into a smaller pulley for my sc.

I picked up a low mileage '01 supercharged Cobra convertible w/ a new engine/forged internals and 422whp for playing around tooling around in during the summer.

I can only imagine how much more fun your car is to drive with all that horsepower!

Maybe I'll look into a smaller pulley for my sc.

It's pretty fun. I've got 2 pulleys, one that makes ~9.5-10psi and a smaller one that makes 12-12.5psi. There is a pretty big difference between them. I'm guessing I've got around the same ~420-430whp you do with the big stock pulley but I like the smaller one so much better.. adds ~80whp from those 2.5-3psi!

My '05 LGT

I keep telling the wife a gtr is the next step for me, she disagrees STRONGLY! :(

Something about spending 50-60k on a car at the moment that i will most likely void the warranty a few days after purchase doesnt sit well with her.....i will keep on working on it....:)

Dave

Yeah still so damn pricey. I'd love me a GT-R, but $40k more than my Shelby? Dunno, it is a better package without a doubt but so much more money. I don't have that kind of cash anyways so it is a moot point. :lol:

I'll be upgrading my Jeep next, especially now that it has become my daily driver. I love my built '99 TJ but will jump on a 2012+ semi-built TJ sooner or later. I really want that efficient 3.6 Pentastar which puts out 290hp vs. my 210hp 4.0L. And when the time comes, I'll be replacing my beloved FX45 with an FX50. I love my 330hp V8 in a small crossover SUV but the FX50's are even better with 390hp. Yay. Luxury AWD boat-tow-mobiles with so many bells and whistles with class and serious grunt..

Anyhow, glad I'm not the only guy who is always thinking "what's next?" when it comes to cars. ;)

My '05 LGT

Dave

Good luck finding a GT-R still under warranty for 50-60k

Took this video a while ago driving 4th gear around 3000rpms and just some quick throttle stabs. Tough to see what the boost gauge is reading but it goes from vacuum (cruise) to 12.5psi boost just as quickly as it takes my foot to hit the floor. Instant 450-500 wtq with no waiting. (It's why traction in 1st and 2nd isn't good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YkZ0oWgb8&feature=youtu.be

Its not like turbo cars who have lag have an easier time launching. Personally I think it is easier to launch a car that has more linear power delivery than one that starts off with little and them boom balls tons of power. This is why I always found it easier to launch my T/A over my supra and for a while both had very similar hp.

• 2 months later...

Just cleaning up some pictures and videos from last year and found a decent Shelby run. My best run on video (best 11.58), FWIW. Still on canned e-tune, will be going for a dyno tune soon. Both cars bone stock original internals.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSy8gleQz1E]'07 Shelby GT 4.6L Bandimere - YouTube[/ame]

Awwww heck and here is my best LGT run on video (best 12.43)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRp0Fme1cI8]run2.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H084l4zAqUU]'07 Shelby GT Bandimere 5860' - YouTube[/ame]

My '05 LGT

• 2 months later...

Damn... I've had this car 10 months now and the only mod I've done is slicks for the strip. I've got an appointment for a baseline dyno pull with my canned tune on 91oct at RWR Motorsports on Monday. We'll discuss my options then, and really want to get this thing on corn.

I'm guessing I'll be making 490whp/460tq. RWR dyno day video below for comparisons..

My '05 LGT

I don't think that first dyno day video at RWR worked... let me try again with a different video. BTW, RWR has a dyno day coming up in a couple weeks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0POHJwXVM]RWR dyno day 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

My '05 LGT

I visited Rob Williams Racing in Littleton, CO today. He is the premier high hp muscle car tuner in the state and wow what an incredibly nice down to earth guy. 568whp/501tq. 1.26CF, 438whp uncorrected.

I was really surprised with the results... so was the tuner! He said I shattered the record for a stock 4.6L... the old record was 519whp. He didn't had any good explanation for why it makes so much power. This is my 91octane regular tune.

This was a full-blown diagnostic dyno run, including AFR's using a WB02 threaded into my cat, and data-logging. I spent around 2.5 hours with him talking and reviewing the logs, tables, etc. The mail-order tune looks pretty decent and they left a little power on the table with timing. The actual fueling observed is pretty good too, but the car is running nearly double stock fuel pressure, the injectors are running around 150% duty cycle, and the fuel pump is at 96% duty cycle... so the tune and hardware gets the fueling done, but this is far from ideal. The mail-order tuners also disabled some safeguards and limited adaptive fueling, so I'm not wild about that.

I'll be switching out injectors and getting a custom dyno tune. My primary goal is safety and better part-throttle drivability. I told Rob I don't want to lose any power but I don't expect to gain much either. He says the block is maxxed out as is, and the rods are already a little past the safety limit.

I went in with hopes of switching to E85 to get to ~550whp but we are already there...

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/ManWithAPicture/ShelbyDynoSheets_zps4282a979.jpg

My '05 LGT

Very nice, 568whp is a good amount. In a 3600lbs car you have the potential to run low 10s possibly 9s if you set the gearing up right. But that would require you to hook hard and be willing to go through a few transmissions.

• 1 month later...

I've got the Shelby in for fueling upgrades and an E85 :wub: tune today.

The primary goal is increase in safety, but also I am looking to improve the powerband and make a little more peak whp. The car made 438whp uncorrected on the canned 91 tune and it didn't make that power until 6400rpms. The whp goal now is to hit 450whp uncorrected at around 5000rpms and hold power at 450whp on up the powerband. The tuner will drop timing as rpms go up to achieve this.

Likewise, previously I didn't hit 500wtq (corrected) until 4300rpms. Once on E85 we hope to hit that level of tq by around 3000rpms.

So, previously my corrected numbers were 568whp/501tq, I'm expecting a modest increase in peaks to around 580whp/550tq. But the whole power band will be moved to the left and flattened... it should translate into better quarter mile times since the average whp down the strip will be higher, and temps ought to be cooler. Additionally, my shift point will no longer be so critical since I won't need to maximize time spent in high rpms.

Stay tuned for results!

EDIT: Oh yeah I got line locks installed to save my rear brake pads and get smokier hotter burnouts. Yay.

My '05 LGT

Archived