LegacyGT.com

Tune with a downpipe.....why?

turbodog

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back it up or retract.

I don't dodge potholes, drive at above normal speeds, on normal roads, at recommended OEM tire pressures, and I haven't yet destroyed a wheel on this car, and the only tire I destroyed was when a screw went through it.

Furthermore, when I had my old car with much higher profile tires inflated to 45 psi, I did manage to hit a pothole that destroyed my tire and wheel. So anything is possible at any PSI, but it's unlikely to happen even at normal pressures.

Cool, you're lucky so far and live in an area with relatively decent roads. But you will continue to have a higher chance of wrecking a wheel or tire than if you were to increase your tire pressure.

Cool, you're lucky so far and live in an area with relatively decent roads. But you will continue to have a higher chance of wrecking a wheel or tire than if you were to increase your tire pressure.

What if I run 39 psi? How are my chances then?

lol

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher.

lol

• I Donated
But you will continue to have a higher chance of wrecking a wheel or tire than if you were to increase your tire pressure.

Now we're getting somewhere!

This statement is possibly true. However, your previous statement was that I (and everyone else) should "expect" to wreck a wheel and/or tire if I don't run tire pressures above 40psi. That statement is false in about 99.9% of cases.

Allow me to spell it out for you:

If you:

- Drive normally (ie. NOT watching like a hawk for every little road imperfection)

- At normal speeds (speed limit to 10 mph above)

- On normal roads (with normal imperfections, holes, etc)

- At recommended OEM tire pressures.....................

................your WILL EVENTUALLY damage your tires and or wheels. Look at the number of normal people who do all the time. Clearly, there are a number of enthusiast drivers here that are pretty good at dodging potholes.

Yes, clearly I drive like a grandmother... that's why I only get 13-14MPG. :rolleyes: Definitely the mark of someone that drives very, very slowly.

What next, are you going to tell me that ghetto Brooklyn has beautifully paved roads of gold?

Here's a thought: the people that damaged their rims might have been underinflated, like normal people frequently are!

Present some empirical evidence to support your claim that people inflated to below 40 PSI are on borrowed time. "Back it up, or retract."

Apparently no one has learned that combating the combination of ignorance & arrogance with logic & facts is futile...

I've learned that, despite wishing on every birthday/chicken bone/shooting star since I was 13, stupidity still isn't lethal.

Tits mcgee

Cool!!!! Thanks for at least trying. That article doesn't quote any sources and certainly doesn't give any valid physics/dynamics/friction arguement about why a reduced static contact patch would decrease traction.

And it's on a hybird website........I'm going to trust autocrossers and my own experience over anyone with a hybird.

Yes, clearly I drive like a grandmother... that's why I only get 13-14MPG. :rolleyes: Definitely the mark of someone that drives very, very slowly.

What next, are you going to tell me that ghetto Brooklyn has beautifully paved roads of gold?

Here's a thought: the people that damaged their rims might have been underinflated, like normal people frequently are!

Present some empirical evidence to support your claim that people inflated to below 40 PSI are on borrowed time. "Back it up, or retract."

Ahh brooklyn, homeland of the new hipsters.....:lol:

Maybe you should go back to the stock tune if you are getting such bad gas milage? Or if its such stop and go traffic, may I suggest a fixed gear road bike and skinny jeans? So stylish. :cool:

• Moderators
That article...certainly doesn't give any valid physics/dynamics/friction arguement about why a reduced static contact patch would decrease traction.

Do you really need an explanation for why a smaller contact patch creates less friction? Jesus, man--are you this much of an ass in real life or just on the internet? You don't need to over complicate things when common sense explains them perfectly fine.

Prove or retract, give me the physics explanation, spend $1000s of dollars to test what you're saying and I'll believe you, blah blah blah. You are totally ridiculous.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
I'm going to trust autocrossers and my own experience over anyone with a hybird.

If you meant that as a joke, it would be funny. But you dont, so you're a dipshit.

*Edited* to prevent offending large groups of people who don't deserve it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I thought this was an interesting discussion:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=102250

If looking in general at handling balance in the case of tyres, the cof drops off as you increase the weight on the wheel and you can tune a car's handling by adjusting the anti-roll bar.

The bigger the contact patch the more grip you can get. In a drag race, dropping the tyre pressure increases the contact patch area and increases grip.

When you look at lateral grip other factors start to matter. The tyre develops side force because of the slip angle between the tyre and the road. This slip angle means the tread is being pulled sideways by the road surface. At the front of the contact patch the deflection is relatively small. As you move back along the contact patch the deflection increases steadily. At some point, the sideways forces in the tyre exceed the friction between the tread and the road and the tread starts to slip relative to the road. When the tread is slipping like this it produces less grip on the road. As the slip angle increases the sideways deflection builds up quicker so the front of the contact patch works harder. But more and more of the back of the contact patch is sliding and losing grip. At some point you reach a maximum point where more slip angle means less side force because you are losing more grip at the rear of the contact patch that you are gaining at the front.

The longer the contact patch is, the more gradually break away occurs. If you shorten the contact patch, the break away occurs more abruptly but you get more absolute grip at the peak as there is less variation in sideways distortion between the front and back of the contact patch, more of the contact patch reaches maximum grip and starts to slide at the same point.

When you fit wider tyres the contact patch wider and shorter for the same tyre pressure. This means you get a more abrupt breakaway but more grip right on the limit.

If this logic is correct then increasing pressure in the tyre further improves grip, since more pressure = less contact patch area = shorter contact patch = better grip?

However more rubber on the road does help grip due to the hysteresis properties of rubber. As rubber expands to fill a depression in the road, it takes some time to do so. When a tyre is sliding (and due to the slip angle, the rear most portion of the contact patch slides at even low cornering forces), this means that the upward rise of the depression to which the tyre is moving has more rubber acting on it that does the upwards rise on the other side. This allows a pressure differential in the lateral plane, providing frictional resistance over and above that offered by simple friction. As the tyre vertical load increases, the rubber is forced more fully, and more quickly into the depressions, overcoming the hysteresis and reacting on both sides of the upward rise from the depression more evenly – giving less pressure differential and less grip.

Low tyre pressure is better for grip from deformation and hysteresis.

Tuning the pressure is about balancing the contact patch length (which is better as pressure goes up), and the contact patch pressure (which is better as tyre pressure goes down). Even though the optimum grip may be achieved at low pressures higher slip (because the hysteresis element is significant),low pressure increases tyre deflection, which increases heat (less even radius over longer contact patch). It therefore appears that the best way to increase grip is a wide tyre as this gives a shorter contact patch for the same inflation pressure.

However tuning the handling balance using tyre pressures, appears to be a combination of trying to match front and rear slip angles, ultimate grip at the limit, and effect of heat which may effect inflation pressure and tyre compound?

Sweet... I can copy & paste too...

Ingredients:

2 slices bread

1 slice American cheese

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

Directions:

1. Heat a small skillet to medium.

2. Using a butter knife, spread half of mayonnaise onto one slice of the bread, place mayo side down in the skillet.

3. Top with cheese.

4. Spread remaining mayonnaise onto second slice of bread and place mayonnaise side up on top of cheese.

5. Cook 3 minutes, or until bread is toasty brown, turn and repeat.

6. Note: Miracle Whip does not work for this, as the sugar in it tends to burn.

Tits mcgee

Ahh brooklyn, homeland of the new hipsters.....:lol:
I don't live there. I just work there. Way to make an ass of yourself some more though. Hipsters live in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Red Hook, etc.... In other words, the North-West areas of Brooklyn that are a short trip into Manhattan via subway. Those are not ghetto areas.

Ghetto = Bedford Stuyvesant, Bushwick, Crown Heights, East New York, Brownsville, East Flatbush, etc. The roads are bad in Brooklyn in general already, but the ghetto areas are horrible. Broadway has had areas of it repaved recently, but still sucks. The side streets are bad, especially right after the snowstorm that happened Dec 2010/Jan 2011 last year.

As far as my tune goes, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just my heavy foot.

Archived