LegacyGT.com

Tune with a downpipe.....why?

turbodog

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rubiks Cube, son.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sir, you are right. Even more crafty. After my two days of being a LGT member I still learn things like sandwhiches taste better when made into rubiks cubes and I wasted $$$$ on my custom tune after I bought down pipe

Actually, from what I've seen, you'll pick up about 5-10 whp with a downpipe and factory boost control with changed restrictor. And the car will run just just like stock, except a bit more peppy at low rpms. Doesn't sound like a downgrade to me, especially for people waiting for a custom tune.

I had posted this elsewhere, but it's applicable here too:

Its sad that you have to resort to insults, obviously you feel quite strongly about your fallacious beliefs. I pity you.

I'm not on here attacking people, just trying to dispel some widely held myths about car mods.

• I Donated
Actually, from what I've seen, you'll pick up about 5-10 whp with a downpipe and factory boost control with changed restrictor. And the car will run just just like stock, except a bit more peppy at low rpms.

I see. So you have tried it on your car? Can we see the before and after dyno plots?

Actually, from what I've seen, you'll pick up about 5-10 whp with a downpipe and factory boost control with changed restrictor. And the car will run just just like stock, except a bit more peppy at low rpms. Doesn't sound like a downgrade to me, especially for people waiting for a custom tune.

I had posted this elsewhere, but it's applicable here too:

Do it and post your results or STFU about it.

I see. So you have tried it on your car? Can we see the before and after dyno plots?

I've not it done it on the spec.b.

I've seen the results of it being done on a couple other subarus, one of which was dyno'd for about a 15whp gain on a catless turboback and no tune.

The point of this thread is for someone to explain why 4th gen LGT's are "unsafe" to put a turboback on without tuning - is it just the boost control issue or not?

:lol:
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What does that link have to do with anything? :confused::confused::confused:

Did you read it? It is in fact not only OK, but actually advisable to increase your tire pressure when doing sustained high speed driving. Plus you get the other benefits as above. Only drawback is a firmer ride AFAIK.

There was a long ass debate about what tire pressure to run.

I also run 42 front 40 rear. Don't see what the big deal about it is.

Turbodog the answer is ... There can be a lot of things that can go wrong. Each car will run slightly different.

Getting a tune is a no brainer and there is no debate about that. Sometimes conventional wisdom exists for a good reason.

I think you should open a thread about aftermarket intakes on the stock tune: good or bad.

Also, how about a thread regarding 100% vent to atmosphere bovs.

Banjo filter: to remove or not remove.

Synthetic oil: good or a waste of money?

Etc

Yes, I did read the article. I read and process very quickly.

Your thread is entitled "psa: If you are running less than 40 psi, expect to wreck tires and wheels."

That article has absolutely nothing to do with your other thread. You made a "blanket, inaccurate statement" and now I'm calling you on it. I'm not saying you're wrong for running 42 psi. I'm saying you're wrong for saying that people will trash their wheels or tires from lower pressures. I regularly run with 36/34 which is only 1 psi above OE recommended pressure. I use those same pressures on both my 215/45/17 and 225/40/18 setup. I have yet to trash my rims or tires, and some of the roads I drive on are absolutely horrendous.

Wait, less than 40psi is bad???

:lol:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/6a14f905.jpg

BTW, assuming you're running on W rated tires, to get a jump from the stock pressure of 35/33 to the 42/40 that you run, based on that article you have to be driving around 143-149.

Really? That's your sustained speed? You drive like that regularly? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And load your car to the capacity where you would need that extra pressure? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW, assuming you're running on W rated tires, to get a jump from the stock pressure of 35/33 to the 42/40 that you run, based on that article you have to be driving around 143-149.

Really? That's your sustained speed? You drive like that regularly? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And load your car to the capacity where you would need that extra pressure? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Didn't you notice? He has a Spec-B.

Archived