LegacyGT.com

Tune with a downpipe.....why?

turbodog

Yes, I did read the article. I read and process very quickly.

Your thread is entitled "psa: If you are running less than 40 psi, expect to wreck tires and wheels."

That article has absolutely nothing to do with your other thread. You made a "blanket, inaccurate statement" and now I'm calling you on it. I'm not saying you're wrong for running 42 psi. I'm saying you're wrong for saying that people will trash their wheels or tires from lower pressures. I regularly run with 36/34 which is only 1 psi above OE recommended pressure. I use those same pressures on both my 215/45/17 and 225/40/18 setup. I have yet to trash my rims or tires, and some of the roads I drive on are absolutely horrendous.

No, please consider yourself lucky (or inexperienced) if you haven't wrecked low profile tires running OE pressures. But start a new thread about it if you want to debate it.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, please consider yourself lucky (or inexperienced) if you haven't wrecked low profile tires running OE pressures.

Similar could be said about people who run aftermarket downpipes without a tune.

Consider yourself lucky (or inexperienced) if you haven't blown an engine running an aftermarket downpipe without some level of tuning.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

BTW, assuming you're running on W rated tires, to get a jump from the stock pressure of 35/33 to the 42/40 that you run, based on that article you have to be driving around 143-149.

Really? That's your sustained speed? You drive like that regularly? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And load your car to the capacity where you would need that extra pressure? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Y rated tire table says 168 mph top speed ----> 42.5 psi. I might be able to hit that going downhill with a tailwind, so I say it counts. But in all seriousness, if you do most of your driving on the highway at 80+ mph, an increased pressure is very helpful.

Similar could be said about people who run aftermarket downpipes without a tune.

Consider yourself lucky (or inexperienced) if you haven't blown an engine running an aftermarket downpipe without some level of tuning.

Actually, I consider myself lucky that I've done far worse and not blown an engine.......but then again, I make my own luck.

No need to start a new thread. There's no debate to be had. You already had another thread. People called you an idiot in that one too.... to the point where your thread got shut down. I drive on NYC roads, in some of the most ghetto parts of Brooklyn. The roads there are bad. I don't drive slowly, but I also don't drive like an idiot though so maybe that has something to do with it? If you're constantly popping tires and wrecking rims, I'd say that problem exists within you.

No need to start a new thread. There's no debate to be had. You already had another thread. People called you an idiot in that one too.... to the point where your thread got shut down. I drive on NYC roads, in some of the most ghetto parts of Brooklyn. The roads there are bad. I don't drive slowly, but I also don't drive like an idiot though so maybe that has something to do with it? If you're constantly popping tires and wrecking rims, I'd say that problem exists within you.

I'm not having any problems with my tires or wheels....:rolleyes:

You're on borrowed time with your wheels/tires.

.......but then again, I make my own luck.

Sounds like it. You have a Spec-B after all.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's not like I've been driving my car as my daily driver for 5 years or something through all sorts of different seasons. :rolleyes:

My eyes are tired from all the rolling, I'm out.

I'm royally disappointed in myself that I skipped out on this thread when it was just a single page.

I have absolutely NOTHING positive to contribute to this thread, but from what I can gather neither does some other people.

I offer this instead.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/assets_c/2010/02/20100216torrisi-parm-thumb-500x333-74205.jpg

SOA says 35 front 33 rear. Most dealers and tire shops will inflate them to the "standard" 32/32 or 35/35 if you're lucky.

And yet there hasn't been a rash of crashes like the Firestone fiasco years ago.

What you are saying is SOA is recommending a tire pressure that is both potentially dangerous and hazardous to the tires.

The evidence and real world experience agrees with one thing. You're an idiot.

• I Donated
I've seen the results of it being done on a couple other subarus, one of which was dyno'd for about a 15whp gain on a catless turboback and no tune.

Link?

I have nothing more to add on the tire pressure issue, besides that you're still wrong. Everyone else has made the points I would have.

The fact that he disagrees with manufacturer & service shop recommendations on tire pressures doesn't make him an idiot.

Yes it does because he fails to understand how heavily regulated the automotive industry is, and to what amount of hurt they would voluntarily expose themselves by recommending an improper tire pressure.

Even the tire manufacturers themselves say "obey the vehicle manufacturer recommendation" and they only stamp the maximum PSI you should be running the tire at.

I know turbodog's kind. They have an inferiority complex so when they go and try to "learn", they try to build up a case that goes completely against the accepted norm in order to feel superior. We are sheeple, he is not.

Furthermore, they are some of the most inflexible individuals, completely unwilling to truly learn from others.

There's an emotional investment at play here. There is no sincere desire to learn.

I'm installing my downpipe on Wednesday. Are there any tests I can perform to add some facts to this debate?

Probably...

1) Install downpipe

2) Don't get a tune

3) Post results after 5,000 miles or when pistons weld themselves to the cylinder walls, whichever happens first

Tits mcgee

Yes it does because he fails to understand how heavily regulated the automotive industry is, and to what amount of hurt they would voluntarily expose themselves by recommending an improper tire pressure.

Even the tire manufacturers themselves say "obey the vehicle manufacturer recommendation" and they only stamp the maximum PSI you should be running the tire at.

I know turbodog's kind. They have an inferiority complex so when they go and try to "learn", they try to build up a case that goes completely against the accepted norm in order to feel superior. We are sheeple, he is not.

Furthermore, they are some of the most inflexible individuals, completely unwilling to truly learn from others.

There's an emotional investment at play here. There is no sincere desire to learn.

Personal attacks aside......

Actually, the accepted norm with most people who modify compact cars and autocross is to run higher tire pressures, around 40 psi, in on typical 17" or 18" size tires. Not sure what your experience is, but it has been like this for years.

And while we're at it, if you go of and read the tire mfg tech manuals, they say it's perfectly OK to increase tire pressure to adjust handling, up to the max PSI.

So, the factory tune is crap, but the factory tire pressures are perfect? Riiiiight.....:lol:

+1.

Unfortunately, his misinformation does nothing but hurt the community. I'd place him on ignore, but I'm afraid that newbies would actually think he is right.

Personal attacks aside......

Actually, the accepted norm with most people who modify compact cars and autocross is to run higher tire pressures, around 40 psi, in on typical 17" or 18" size tires. Not sure what your experience is, but it has been like this for years.

So, the factory tune is crap, but the factory tire pressures are perfect? Riiiiight.....:lol:

And you have the balls to quote definitions of strawman arguments to others?

Buddy who the hell ever said it was perfect?

The point was nothing disastrous is going to happen if it's below 40PSI.

What does performance driving have to do with regular driving?

What the hell are you even arguing anymore?

The accepted norm is also that when people modify compact cars, in this case Subarus, they get a freakin' tune.

Done and done!

+1.

Unfortunately, his misinformation does nothing but hurt the community. I'd place him on ignore, but I'm afraid that newbies would actually think he is right.

I really wish you were better at debating.

Obfuscation + straw men =/= good debating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Archived