LegacyGT.com

Tune with a downpipe.....why?

turbodog

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
BTW, why people would go out of their way to change restrictor pills is beyond me. There's one in there already, all you need to do is add a bit more restriction. A ziptie immediately after the pill should be enough.

Carb adjustment is pointless. If you're going lean with a carb, you just need moar barrels.

A carb is a far superior performance option since along with an additional barrel there will be a jet to introduce more fuel. Just get it jetted right and make sure the bowl is getting plenty of fuel.

Carbs just suck for fuel efficiency, winter starting, and forced induction. If your goal is to make big power with a naturally aspirated motor by dumping fuel and air into it, a carb is a great way to go.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/2/1312/thumb_620x2000/minigun.1.jpg

+

http://www.fightcampblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Carbs.jpg

+

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DMXNk5KyDdg/Td1v1bZifGI/AAAAAAAAEq8/iXX-JiidR4M/s1600/Saab+Jas+39+Gripen+Fighter+Jet.jpg

=

http://jamiedubs.com/fuckflickr/data/web/zomg-youve-won-internet.gif

Back on topic - YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT NEED AN ECU TUNE TO RUN AN AFTERMARKET DOWNPIPE SAFELY. Nothing in this thread so far has proven this statement wrong. Boost control otherwise can be adjusted for stability by other means - this has been my understanding for MANY years. Please prove this wrong

Instead, how about proving it wrong yourself?

1. Log some pulls.
  2. Run a hose directly from the compressor nipple to the wastegate actuator, and log some more pulls.
  3. Swap downpipes.
  4. Log some more pulls.

I think you'll find that you don't have any more knock than before. But the important thing is that you'll have your proof, one way or the other. And you'll have a rough idea of how much power this is costing you.

Feel free to make other mechanical changes as well if it makes you happy, just be sure to keep logging so that you can keep track of what's going on.

And the number of people who care about the outcome of your experiment can safely be rounded down to zero. Which makes the length of this thread kinda of hilarious even without the sandwiches.

Every other person who has come to this forum asking about a downpipe has really been asking "what else do I need to do to get a bunch more power from my car, easily and safely?" And so the answer has always been "retune the ECU to make the most of your new parts."

So basically this entire thread is about your inability to read between the lines.

Incidentally, my dad's LGT has been running a downpipe and a stock tune for the last couple months. I left my laptop at home on the day of the swap, and shortly afterward I got hit by an out-of-control skier while sitting down to tighten up my snowboard boots... thus dislocating my elbow. And he had a heart attack (I don't recall whether that was shortly before the swap or shortly after) so we've all had other issues to deal with. I told him to stay out of boost and I trust him to. He's got brains and discipline, so I'm not worried.

Expert. Level.

Rainman was also an excellent driver (according to himself).

You are the one who asked the questions. You are the one that doesn't like the answers. It seems like the burdon of proof is on you. Seriously, do what you want to your car. Just let us know how it goes expert level guy.

231892.jpg.c98266d495b68168c61b221c83de1750.jpg

Fairly sure he's trolling.

Nope.

Went fishing yesterday, and we did pull crank baits so we were trolling. Not today though, too many people at the lake to try and fish.

Rainman was also an excellent driver (according to himself).

You are the one who asked the questions. You are the one that doesn't like the answers. It seems like the burdon of proof is on you. Seriously, do what you want to your car. Just let us know how it goes expert level guy.

I know what i know. Most people here seem not to. If its only a boost control issue, i'm no impressed.

I'm sorry guys. I have this really bad habit of starting smack on the net. I don't know why I do, I just do. It makes me feel better about myself. I wasn't beat or molested as a kid. I had a normal upbringing. Unfortunately for me, I have always been different all my life. I first noticed this when I smothered my neighbors german shepherd puppy to death. The good news is that I have stopped cutting myself and now focus my attention on this forum. As you can see, my self-therapy is going really well.

Dude you are really sick

Archived