LegacyGT.com

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos

The B4

News Release Issued: October 31, 2012 10:00 PM EDT

SUBARU REVEALS ALL-NEW 2014 FORESTER CROSSOVER SUV;

NEW MODEL TO MAKE NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW

CHERRY HILL, NJ, Nov. 1, 2012 – Subaru of America, Inc. today released the first official photos of the all-new 2014 Forester crossover SUV, which will make its North American debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The new Forester combines a bolder profile than before while offering a roomier interior with virtually the same footprint as the previous model.

The fourth generation of Subaru’s popular Forester will offer a new 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged BOXER® engine producing 250 horsepower. The standard naturally aspirated 2.5-liter BOXER engine debuted in the outgoing Forestermodel. Fuel economy will be higher across the line with the debut of a new six-speed manual transmission and available Lineartronic® continuously variable transmissions (CVT).

The all-new five-passenger 2014 Forester preserves the optimal blend of SUV capability and car-like ride and handling that have made the Forester one of the Subaru brand’s best-selling models for the past 15 years. Refined (or New) suspension system delivers agile handling and a highly compliant ride quality. Generous 8.7 inches ofground clearance enhances off-pavement driving capability.

The 2014 Forester will offer an exceptionally roomy interior, featuring increased rear seat legroom, and an enlarged cargo area. In-demand infotainment features will be offered, including smartphone integration, navigation, rear view camera, and harman/kardon® premium audio amplifier and speakers.

Basic Vehicle Specifications

Engine types and output

2.5-liter 4-cylinder BOXER, naturally aspirated

170 hp @ 5,800 rpm 174 lb.-ft. peak torque @ 4,100 rpm

2.0-liter 4-cylinder BOXER, direct fuel injection, turbocharging, intercooler

250 hp @ 5,600 rpm* 258 lb.-ft. peak torque @ 2,000-4,800 rpm

Transmission

2.5-liter models: 6-speed manual or Lineartronic CVT

2.0-liter turbo: high-torque CVT with 6-speed and 8-speed manual modes and Hill Descent Control

Drivetrain

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive standard for all models

Wheelbase

103.9 in.

Vehicle length

180.9 in.

Vehicle height

68.2 in (with roof rails)

Vehicle width

70.7 in.

Wheels/tires

2.5-liter: 17 x 7 in. aluminum alloy with 225/60 R17 all-season

2.0-liter turbo: 18 x 7 in. aluminum alloy with 225/55 R18 all-season

* With premium grade gasoline

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of more than 600 dealers across the United States. All Subaru products are manufactured in zero-landfill production plants and Subaru of Indiana Automotive Inc. is the only U.S. automobile production plant to be designated a backyard wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. For additional information visit http://www.subaru.com.

“Subaru”, “BOXER”, “Forester”, all model names, and the Subaru logo are registered trademarks of the Subaru subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd, Japan.

Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.

Become fan of Subaru on http://www.facebook.com/subaruofamerica and follow @subaru_usa.

http://i.imgur.com/kA3Ve.png

http://i.imgur.com/zUVhA.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Any guesses on what we'll see for fuel economy? Maybe in the 22/30 range (to match CR-V, 1.6L Escape). Outback at 24/30, CX-5 (which is down 15hp) at 25/31...

Escape w/ 2.0L Ecoboost is 21/28, Santa Fe turbo 20/27, with AWD.

• Wonder how this will compare to a potential 2.5L CX-5 (not confirmed, but could see one next year).

so why 250 for the USDM and not 280 HP? I believe it'll be the same engine right? Isn't it simpler and less expensive for Subaru to have every Forester XT at 280 HP? :confused:

Any chance they're saving 280 hp for the next wrx? They wouldn't want the forester to have more hp than the wrx.

Race care or no race car...I don't see any ducting from the front of the car over the IC...like the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3. I just see ducting that goes from the cowl? over the IC. Didn't Mazda implement on the 2gen speed3 to get greater airflow...and doesn't this go counter to what Subaru has been doing for decades?

Hmmm...

So for the FXT...the yellow is the fire suppression mats...red the hood scoop ducting, and the blue just the top area over the grill.

I don't see any ducts in the yellow section that would bring air in from the front to the back. All I see is the large duct circled in red that appears to get air from the cowl area next to the glass.

Unlike the second pic, which is the intercooler duct from a Mazdaspeed 6...again fire suppresion mats in yellow and duct work in red. The two pieces circled in red are clearly air vents meant to channel air from the front of the vehicle to the TMIC.

I am not seeing such venting under the hood of the FXT...unless the pic is not providing sufficient resolution.

WcGuF.jpg.0f151f14f79a1368895ef6f3473dcfd9.jpg

MS6_8.jpg.72d6fbd9e310d0cf48ef083d9cac83e0.jpg

If you look at the very top of the picture, you'll see rectangular openings along the front edge of the plastic. It looks like the one on the right side is deformed a bit, maybe it has a soft rubber leading edge, but it seems pretty clear to me that those are the intake openings to the Y-shaped air channel leading to the intercooler.

Added Pic with lime green highlighting rectangular openings at the top, with an arrow pointing to the deformed part.

Hmmm...

So for the FXT...the yellow is the fire suppression mats...red the hood scoop ducting, and the blue just the top area over the grill.

I don't see any ducts in the yellow section that would bring air in from the front to the back. All I see is the large duct circled in red that appears to get air from the cowl area next to the glass.

Unlike the second pic, which is the intercooler duct from a Mazdaspeed 6...again fire suppresion mats in yellow and duct work in red. The two pieces circled in red are clearly air vents meant to channel air from the front of the vehicle to the TMIC.

I am not seeing such venting under the hood of the FXT...unless the pic is not providing sufficient resolution.

WcGuF2.jpg.9d2f434432b03ef9f27bcdc4bf21889a.jpg

2008 WRX and 2009 Forester had the same power.

Yeah but I meant MORE, like how if they did it right now the 2013 WRX would have LESS hp than the 2014 Forester.

Just tossing out other ideas, it's just as likely (probably more likely) an octane thing more than a marketing thing.

Are you 12? You need to learn the definition of "fact". You're spewing how crappy the CVT and the 5th gen are and stating it's a fact, yet he needs to stop bashing your car? You make absolutely no sense. Seriously though, you sound like an uneducated teenager with ADD.

My wife and I purchased both the '12 Legacy and '12 Impreza. WE traded in both of our horrible vehicles ('04 Santa Fe and an '08 Dodge Caliber) for these cars. To us it was a huge upgrade in car quality.

When I owned the Caliber with a CVT I swore I would not get another ride with that horrific transmission. However, after driving the Impreza my mind was changed. Yes the 0-60 time is not the fastest but I live in Vegas and most of the streets are 45 mph which both cars get to in a fine clip. I am happy that the CVT in both cars do not run up to almost-red-line like the Cali did every time I accelerated from a light, or passed someone. As time goes on I can see some great improvements. I have read that in japan they are putting a 294 hp turbo engine in the Forester with a CVT. It will be interesting to see the real world results.

Archived