LegacyGT.com

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos

The B4

I wonder why Subaru decided to carry over the base 2.5L from the current Forrester. Why not the 2.0 from the BRZ? Its more powerful, smaller, and more efficient.

That engine is Toyota/Subaru. I think subaru will probably hopefully use the 2.0 in the impreza, but it has less horsepower. They should make a copy of the one in the BRZ so toyota can't say it's part of their company.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forester XT is looking great. I even like the idea of CVT. I wonder how much slower it is going to be than 2011 LGT. Also will be interesting to see if reflash will be able to up the torque to like 300lb-ft.

CVT might provide a cool experience: floor it, minimum turbo lag and then super smooth powerful acceleration!

I wonder why Subaru decided to carry over the base 2.5L from the current Forrester. Why not the 2.0 from the BRZ? Its more powerful, smaller, and more efficient.

2.0 from BRZ has 150 tq and far too weak for Forester.

Forester XT is looking great. I even like the idea of CVT. I wonder how much slower it is going to be than 2011 LGT. Also will be interesting to see if reflash will be able to up the torque to like 300lb-ft.

CVT might provide a cool experience: floor it, minimum turbo lag and then super smooth powerful acceleration!

2.0 from BRZ has 150 tq and far too weak for Forester.

I'm wondering how much boost a CVT can handle.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I have come to the conclusion that most CVT hate is derived from the facts that CVTs are not enthusiast oriented and they are unaccustomed to their behavior. A lot of enthusiats hate automatics and CVTs get it even worse since they are generally used in applications of low horsepower and high mileage. That's a negative association for most enthusiast.

Most people that drive a decent CVT get used non shifting behavior and the noise of the engine RPMs staying high. Most of us have it ingrained in our heads since the time we were in car seats that a car shifts gears.

A small group of the generation that came behind you still hold those beliefs as well which is apparent from the enthusiast crowd. The rest of them, or us I should say, enjoy manuals but also enjoy automatics as well as CVT's.

I've had a chance to sit in the 2012 Nissan Juke with AWD and CVT and I really liked how nimble it felt and actually was. 0-60 in under or at 7 seconds is a bit behind my 2012 Subaru Forester XT with the 4EAT but the Juke has a smaller engine, less HP and lb-ft, and it weighs less. Still, I really liked the idea of driving a turbocharged vehicle with a CVT and AWD. The Nissan Juke's AWD is completely different from the Murano and Rogue which is a good thing too. I saw no issues with the transmission being paired to that engine in that vehicle of that size and weight.

It's nice to see a bump in HP and lb-ft for the 2014 Subaru Forester although I was hoping it'd be a bit more of a bump at 91 octane (Japan and their 93 octane =\). Oh well, the updated interior, electronics, EyeSight, and the addition of a CVT with better MPG outweighs the fact that the HP and lb-ft were lower than what I expected we'd see in the USDM.

Toyota just teased their 2013 RAV4 and it looks like the rear door might be able to compete with the Forester and CR-V now, lol. No mention of a V6 yet or if they updated their unfortunately called AWD system (on demand 4WD). Hopefully the Forester will shine with if not brighter than the CR-V and RAV4 so Subaru can work on updating their infotainment system to reach Ford and getting ready for CAFE regulations in 2017.

Yes but I was hoping the HP and torque bump would be there at 91 octane, not 93.

Every turbo Subaru sells in the US is rated at 93 octane. Kind of sucks since 92 is the best I can get here and 91 is the best you can get in California.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Every turbo Subaru sells in the US is rated at 93 octane. Kind of sucks since 92 is the best I can get here and 91 is the best you can get in California.

91 octane is the best I can get around here. =\ I was hoping to avoid having to go any kind of stage to get JDM Subaru's numbers.

looks like a kia

I've heard Toyota more than Kia. What exactly are you thinking of Kia if you see this:

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2012/09/2013-Kia-Sportage-front-three-quarter-1024x682.jpg

in this:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2014-Subaru-Forester-XT-placement-2-1-626x382.jpg

• 1 month later...
From what I did hear the Forester XT will be available with CVT and with the CVT in manual mode 8 steps.

First... FYI there is NO 2.5 liter available in the JDM...

The 2 liter DIT is CVT only...

The regular 2 liter ( N/A non DIT 148 hp ) comes in either a 6MT or CVT in one of 4 different models...

When in I ( intelligent ) or S ( sport ) mode it is CVT ( step-less ) in D or a 6 speed paddle shift only in M...

When in S# ( sport sharp ) mode it is a 8 speed automatic in D and a 8 speed paddle shift only in M...

NOTE: only the DIT 2 liter has a S# mode others only have SI & S (2)...

ALL models ( except manual trans ) come with paddle shifters..

When the 2.0 DIT is in S# & Drive ( 8 speed mode ) - - the transmission will shift itself both up and down... slow from 80 to 50 and the trans will drop 2 gears by itself..

ALSO - I saw somewhere where someone was commenting on the auto start - stop feature... FYI this feature is NOT AVAILABLE on any of the Turbo models across the entire line in Japan - only on N/A models...

ALL models ( except manual trans ) come with paddle shifters..

There are a group of USDM customers who want paddle shifters on all trims but for USDM that doesn't seem like it'll happen. Some of the lower models (base and premium, the two bottom trims) will not be coming optional or standard with paddle shifters in the USDM even if they get the CVT.

looks like a kia

The 2014 uses the same body lines as the previous gen and a front-end that comes with cues from a revamped 2003-2005. At least, it's closer to that anyway than a Kia any day.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?year=2005&make=Subaru&model=Forester

I like how some people are quick to judge the previous gens as obsolete. Our 2010 gets 22mpg in town (sometimes more, depending) and is a very nice drive thank you very much.

Each time I see the front end I keep thinking it should be riding a speederbike on Endor. I am starting to think there is a hard core starwars fan on the subaru design team. The pig-nosed Darth Vader Impreza from 2006 first and now this...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Pricing is out

US Total Suggested Retail Prices for the 2014 Forester (includes $825 Destination charge):

2.5i Base $22,820

2.5i Premium $25,820

2.5i Limited $28,820

2.5i Touring $30,820

2.0XT Premium $28,820

2.0XT Touring $33,820

Source: http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-subaru-forester-starts-at-22820-forester-turbo-at-28820-317459.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived