LegacyGT.com

OFFICIAL 2013 Legacy Thread

LegGTLT

ftfy

Not really.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally have the chance to drive a 2012 Outback today (Loaner while my car gets an oil change and whatnot)

Ride: Comfortable, smooth, quiet - bit more body roll than I would like but then again my 05's suspension isn't stock.

Power: 2.5l with CVT (I think). Plenty of get up and go for city/highway driving but it's not performance oriented at all.

Interior: Definately more room, but my right knee hits the center console in a different spot than in my 05 and makes my knee sore. This obviously will be different for different folks

Seats: The seats got better in 2007 and have stayed that way since.

Radio: Nowhere near as good as my stock 05 radio, no where near as good as the 2007 radio I stuck in my 2005 either.

Visibility: I hate the massive D pillars at the back.

Switches and knobs: Different but acceptable - seat heater switches seem cheap, dash illumination brightness roller is a bit cheap too compared to the 05.

Side mirrors seem a bit smaller (I prefer the larger mirrors on the 05.)

Wipers: Quicker sweep of the windshield than my 05.

Conclusion: If there was a Legacy wagon (or Outback with less roll) with the 3.6 and a stick shift, it would be a really good car. I don't like the design and interior material quality. Subaru has some improvements to make to bring the 2012 up to the same level of quality found in the 2005+ models. I'm still not lining up to trade my 05 XT in on one.

I finally have the chance to drive a 2012 Outback today (Loaner while my car gets an oil change and whatnot)

Ride: Comfortable, smooth, quiet - bit more body roll than I would like but then again my 05's suspension isn't stock.

Power: 2.5l with CVT (I think). Plenty of get up and go for city/highway driving but it's not performance oriented at all.

Interior: Definately more room, but my right knee hits the center console in a different spot than in my 05 and makes my knee sore. This obviously will be different for different folks

Seats: The seats got better in 2007 and have stayed that way since.

Radio: Nowhere near as good as my stock 05 radio, no where near as good as the 2007 radio I stuck in my 2005 either.

Visibility: I hate the massive D pillars at the back.

Switches and knobs: Different but acceptable - seat heater switches seem cheap, dash illumination brightness roller is a bit cheap too compared to the 05.

Side mirrors seem a bit smaller (I prefer the larger mirrors on the 05.)

Wipers: Quicker sweep of the windshield than my 05.

Conclusion: If there was a Legacy wagon (or Outback with less roll) with the 3.6 and a stick shift, it would be a really good car. I don't like the design and interior material quality. Subaru has some improvements to make to bring the 2012 up to the same level of quality found in the 2005+ models. I'm still not lining up to trade my 05 XT in on one.

i got one today too while they put my egt probe in.

Not sure how you can say there is more room.. I have the seat all the way back and i still can touch the floor with my feet.. and am only 5 10 maybe less as i have shrunk.

Much more room in my 2010 lgt.. seat all the way back i cannot even touch the pedal.

Also lots of body roll as you said.

They definately couldnt made more more move the back seats back a few inches as the boot has lots of space and move the front ones back a little more.

Power with the cvt is nothing like my lgt.. it makes lots of noise when you floor it but doesnt do much.

Wait... the 5th Gen Legacy and OB have the same amount of foot/driver/passenger room in them. What are you talking about? :confused:

Legacy

186.4 /108.3

5.9"

40.3", with moonroof: 38.1"

43.0"/37.8"

59.3"

trunk 14.7cf

Outback

188.2"/107.9"

8.7"

40.8", with moonroof: 38.7"

43.0"/37.8"

65.7 incl roof rackseat

folded down 71.3cf

seat up 34.3cf

From here.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Although I have been told the opposite somewhere in this thread, I have just seen in print that the 6MT in the Premium trim 2013 Legacy has been discontinued. Unless I am reading it wrong, the only Legacy to continue with the 6MT will be the base model. This site is not an official Subaru site, but what they say overall, agrees with much of what I have learned about the 2013 Legacy, on the board.

http://www.cars101.com/

Cheers.

Byll

Directly from the SOA press release:

"The 2013 Legacy 2.5i offers a choice between a standard six-speed manual transmission and the second-generation Lineartronic CVT (continuously variable transmission); the latter is standard on the 2.5i Premium and Limited. The second-generation Lineartronic® CVT offers more responsive and quieter operation compared to the transmission it replaces. Models with the CVT also feature a six-speed manual mode with steering wheel paddle shifters, which allow the driver to control the transmission via six pre-set ratios."

Sounds right.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Yup. For some atavistic reason, I am sad to see this happen. I have watched this anomaly in the Ford Fusion. In 2011, a fine 6 speed manual was available in their base and middle trim models. In 2012, the manual was only offered in the base model. Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc., have gone the same route. Subaru may have been the last bastion of a middle-trim-level model with the MT. End of an era?

I have not had time to sit around and figure out why this bothers me. Base model Subarus are excellent cars, and many guys that do a lot of modification purchase them, so they do not pay for things they will change, anyway. I get it.

However, my fear is that the manuals are now simply one step closer to annihilation from a line, entirely. Yeah, I know. The new double-clutch 'automatic' manuals are just wonderful... At least some of them... But dinosaur as I am, I really like 3 pedals.

Rant off.

Byll

Snooped through here, but didn't see this linked anywhere. Makes me kind of sad. :(

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/03/2013-subaru-legacy-quietly-drops-2-5gt-model/

p6 of this thread ...

I am guessing this is floating around this forum somewhere already, but figured I would post just in case...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/29/subaru-releases-2013-legacy-outback-details-ahead-of-new-york-d/

I did not see the info Howard posted.... just found this thread actually.

it's all in the press release

That's because it's got a whole thread of it's own. :)

I'm sure we'll still have it in Aus :D

Haha. I totally missed that as well. And, yeah. Most likely. If the body style improves, I wouldn't be surprised to see people getting them shipped to the US from there.

p6 of this thread ...

it's all in the press release

Ah. Gotcha'. That's the thread I was looking for.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

However, my fear is that the manuals are now simply one step closer to annihilation from a line, entirely. Yeah, I know. The new double-clutch 'automatic' manuals are just wonderful... At least some of them... But dinosaur as I am, I really like 3 pedals.

Rant off.

Byll

Not a dinosaur, just a driver and an enthusiast as I am as well. Sad that once the wheels fall off my shrek-B in another 5-6-8 years I still hope to find a car offered with manual transmission. Will drive my 08 till it dies, but sad that so many mocha latte's, shoving your face full of McDonald's drive thru, yammering on the cell phone and texting have killed the manual transmission. People are so friggin lazy.

I will have to +1 this... I nearly lose my mind driving an automatic (of any type) because I'm expecting to clutch and shift. I actually get bored which turns into not paying attention to the road. If there's one thing I'll never own, it's an automatic. Well, not on purpose anyhow. Unless it's a truck, I suppose. But, that's only for towing.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I will have to +1 this... I nearly lose my mind driving an automatic (of any type) because I'm expecting to clutch and shift. I actually get bored which turns into not paying attention to the road. If there's one thing I'll never own, it's an automatic. Well, not on purpose anyhow. Unless it's a truck, I suppose. But, that's only for towing.

This is precisely what has happened with all those soccer moms (and everyone else) who drive autos.

The driving doesn't engage their brains, so they're off thinking about what they'll be doing later, or who they're meeting, etc. Their minds are a million miles away, so they end up being road hazards for everyone else.

Edit: Oh, and when I drive my Tribeca, I often have it in manual mode, just because it's nice to control when and where it shifts. I'm okay being clutchless in the 'beca, as long as I still have control.

Up until a few years ago, I was driving around a 1993 Legacy 5 speed that I had a lot of fun in. I have no problems driving a manual. Then I was driving around 2004 Outback for a bit (with a 4EAT), and now I have a 2012 Impreza CVT sedan. I got the CVT version just to save on gas and because the manual Impreza felt really down on torque.

The Impreza is not impressing me with its MPG (its not dreadful, its just not the improvement over the Outback that I wanted) and the car is a bit small for traveling. Sometimes it feels like I am get better MPG by manually controlling the CVT instead of letting it do its own thing. This is especially true through hills with Cruise Control on, where the CVT will have the engine wind up to 4K RPM just to maintain speed, while it would have been fine to just drop 2 or 3 MPH going up the hill.

Anyway I am looking at ordering a 2013 Legacy 2.5i, but I was curious how the REAL WORLD MPG compares between the 6 speed and the CVT Legacy models. I want to get a 6 speed, however I don't want to take it in the teeth every time I hit up the gas station. If the CVT and 6 speed are comparable, I will trade in my Impreza for the manual Legacy.

I asked my dealer today if they knew of any return of the Legacy wagon. They didn't, but did say that quite a few people have been asking about it.

The Impreza doesn't cut it for some folks and not everyone wants the Outback.

Archived