LegacyGT.com

OFFICIAL 2013 Legacy Thread

LegGTLT

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I owned a '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited (R.I.P. = Totaled when a drunk driver rear-ended me while stopped at a traffic light) which I have now replaced with a '12 Legacy 2.5i Limited. In my opinion, the 5th Gen car is a nicer car. The only real exception to this is that the 4th Gen car did roll less in corners, which they are apparently fixing in the '13 model. Regarding the looks of the car, the newer car looks better in darker colors (Dark Grey Metallic, Black, maybe the dark blue) whereas the older car looked better in lighter colors (Silver or White). That said, I think the 5th Gen looks better if you've selected the right color. It is a little bigger than it necessarily needs to be, but it's still not huge, and with improvements to the suspension would be entirely fine. By the way, I get a ton more positive comments regarding my '12 than I ever did in my '05.

Regarding the LGT, it's a shame that they are getting rid of it, but when/if they bring back a performance model, I hope they choose to leave off the hood scoop. I would love a WRX, or LGT, but don't think it's appropriate for me to show up to a client in a car with a boy racer hood scoop on it. Hence, when I replaced my '05 I didn't get a WRX, as much as I would have preferred the performance. The Legacy is an adult car, and needs to look like one. I'd love to see them bring back a perfomance model, but they really need to lose the hood scoop. In many ways, I wish they would do the same with the WRX, though perhaps not with the STI. +1 for high performance sleeper cars.

For what it's worth, I owned a '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited

*snip*

Regarding the LGT, it's a shame that they are getting rid of it, but when/if they bring back a performance model, I hope they choose to leave off the hood scoop. I would love a WRX, or LGT, but don't think it's appropriate for me to show up to a client in a car with a boy racer hood scoop on it.

I know you had a 2.5i and all - but you do realize that is a functional scoop for the top-mount intercooler? It's there for a reason - not to be "boy racer". What client's are going to think less of you for rolling up in a family sedan with 4 doors and a small opening in the hood?

I picked up my spec.B LGT because it isn't an STI - it has more refinements and a "maturity" in it's style compared to that. Wingless it looks great (to avoid the boy racer thing if you will). If it has a bulge on the bonnet it's worthwhile to me (unless it has no turbo like my 2nd gen LGT).

For what it's worth, I owned a '05 Legacy 2.5i Limited (R.I.P. = Totaled when a drunk driver rear-ended me while stopped at a traffic light) which I have now replaced with a '12 Legacy 2.5i Limited. In my opinion, the 5th Gen car is a nicer car. The only real exception to this is that the 4th Gen car did roll less in corners, which they are apparently fixing in the '13 model. Regarding the looks of the car, the newer car looks better in darker colors (Dark Grey Metallic, Black, maybe the dark blue) whereas the older car looked better in lighter colors (Silver or White). That said, I think the 5th Gen looks better if you've selected the right color. It is a little bigger than it necessarily needs to be, but it's still not huge, and with improvements to the suspension would be entirely fine. By the way, I get a ton more positive comments regarding my '12 than I ever did in my '05.

Regarding the LGT, it's a shame that they are getting rid of it, but when/if they bring back a performance model, I hope they choose to leave off the hood scoop. I would love a WRX, or LGT, but don't think it's appropriate for me to show up to a client in a car with a boy racer hood scoop on it. Hence, when I replaced my '05 I didn't get a WRX, as much as I would have preferred the performance. The Legacy is an adult car, and needs to look like one. I'd love to see them bring back a perfomance model, but they really need to lose the hood scoop. In many ways, I wish they would do the same with the WRX, though perhaps not with the STI. +1 for high performance sleeper cars.

they made the 3.0R just for you...enjoy it in good health :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm aware that it's a functional hood scoop, but I'm also aware that there are many turbo cars with intercoolers that don't have hood scoops.

Along with the fact that I don't want the "boy racer" image, I think it actually hurts the clean look of both the 4th and 5th Gen cars.

they made the 3.0R just for you...enjoy it in good health :rolleyes:

I did consider the 3.6R, hopefully when I go to replace my current car they will have found a bit more performance and a bit better MPGs out of it, though I'm not fond of the idea that it acts more nose heavy.

Yes, I'm aware that it's a functional hood scoop, but I'm also aware that there are many turbo cars with intercoolers that don't have hood scoops.

Along with the fact that I don't want the "boy racer" image, I think it actually hurts the clean look of both the 4th and 5th Gen cars.

those cars you speak of are either A. subject to heat soak or B. front mount intercooled.

I think you're wholly alone in your opinion of the hood mounted scoop.

those cars you speak of are either A. subject to heat soak or B. front mount intercooled.

I think you're wholly alone in your opinion of the hood mounted scoop.

Okay, so heak soak is bad... Is there some problem with front mounting the intercooler that I'm unaware of?

..The Legacy is an adult car, and needs to look like one. I'd love to see them bring back a perfomance model, but they really need to lose the hood scoop. In many ways, I wish they would do the same with the WRX, though perhaps not with the STI. +1 for high performance sleeper cars.

AFAIK, they haven't done a stock fmic so it can lose the hood scoop.

Adult car - definitely yes. May I add that the 5G size makes it look like a proper family sedan (which actually it is). But if one should mod the engine & FI, say like Rutchard's (great ride BTW), then it can also be a sleeper.

Let's see what subaru will do wih the fa/fb engine in the future legacy.

Okay, so heak soak is bad... Is there some problem with front mounting the intercooler that I'm unaware of?

A mild frontal accident could leave your car undriveable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK, they haven't done a stock fmic so it can lose the hood scoop.

Adult car - definitely yes. May I add that the 5G size makes it look like a proper family sedan (which actually it is). But if one should mod the engine & FI, say like Rutchard's (great ride BTW), then it can also be a sleeper.

Let's see what subaru will do wih the fa/fb engine in the future legacy.

you may add that the size fmthe 5the gen makes it look like a proper family sedan; so long as you quantify your statement bysaying that every generation of maxima, Taurus, Camry, etc. has also increased in size ... not because it makes it a proper family sedan, but allows it to more easily accommodate obese Americans.

A mild frontal accident could puncture the radiator, also leaving the car undrivable.

yes except intercoolers are placed considerably farther forward than a radiator and are less protected as they are usually not completely (or even mostly) behind the bumper beam.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you may add that the size fmthe 5the gen makes it look like a proper family sedan; so long as you quantify your statement bysaying that every generation of maxima, Taurus, Camry, etc. has also increased in size ... not because it makes it a proper family sedan, but allows it to more easily accommodate obese Americans.

Ouch!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Archived