LegacyGT.com

Going stage 2, which clutch?

Zac88

I am about to put an ACT streetlite flywheel in with a exedy stage 1 on my 05GT. but i have heard many say the act flywheel makes a lot of noise on decel. any suggestions please?

It may be to late now, but I guess you missed the point about using a WXR flywheel or 07-09 Legacy flywheel.

Even stupid Subaru engineers figured that one out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just read this through and I am in between the comp2100 and the fx300.

My stock clutch just started slipping in sport sharp mode tonight with my custom 20 psi tune.

Sport mode was ok still but sport sharp it would shoot from 3-4k as soon as I would go wot. Cold weather must be making more hp as it hasn't happened before today.

Since I have the smfw in my 08 can I just get it resurfaced at my local machine shop?

I read someone in here mention the comp2100 didn't work with the oem fw? I would definitely like to keep the stock fw for no chatter issues.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Thanks. In the what did you do to your car thread almost everyone recommended using only the stock clutch for stage 2 or 16g setups.

Do you agree with that? Seems like it wouldn't last too long but I am not very familiar with the stock clutch. Just know mine started slipped bad yesterday. Feels like fuel cut off when it slips. Loses all acceleration for a second and then it seems to grab again.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Stock clutch is good to stage2. Stage 3 and they dont last long. FX200 or 300 will hold the power of a 16g. FX200 will have a more stock like engagement (full face disc). FX300 will be slightly more "grabby (segmented disc). FX300's have no problems holding 20g/FPGreen power.

Yes. Some judder/chatter is unavoidable. Nature of the LWFW.

Its also common with most high performance clutches.

Once again, my Spec 2 clutch has never chattered once. 25,000 miles and going strong.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My stock clutch went out on my Stage 3 LGT. It lasted 7k miles tho! So I'm happy with that. I just got a killer deal on a FX300 and I have WRX flywheel. I have a 20G will this be ok?> I dont drag or anything, mainly just some 3rd gear pulls on the free way.

Import Image has great deals on them!

Lol. :lol::lol::lol:

First, I am here answering questions and assisting, not IIR, yet I get overlooked when it comes time to recommend vendors. Second, IIR has them for $590 and my website price is $560 (with free shipping). :eek:

First, I am here answering questions and assisting, not IIR, yet I get overlooked when it comes time to recommend vendors. Second, IIR has them for $590 and my website price is $560 (with free shipping). :eek:

You got suckered once again Mikey.

:(

Mike

^ I already knew Moddiction buys wholesale, so I was not anticipating any fruit from the tree. But you sir (of all people) know how it is.

I know. Just busting your balls gotta laugh at this crap or else I'd be crying how folks use your knowledge and then go buy at Walmart.

Mike

Sorry Mike, It was cheaper than than that plus I needed overnight shipping! I go through every ones site finding the best option. Plus I already bought it after I asked you the question. Sorry man.

Sorry Mike, It was cheaper than than that plus I needed overnight shipping! I go through every ones site finding the best option. Plus I already bought it after I asked you the question. Sorry man.

I'm pretty sure mike ships overnight...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Now we have an Online Catalog where you can purchase Parts! AZPParts.com

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I'm pretty sure mike ships overnight...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Now we have an Online Catalog where you can purchase Parts! AZPParts.com

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I'm sure he does, but could he ship it over night for under $500? I already had discounts through IIR for something that happened awhile back. So thats the reason why I went with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats up guys I currently have a stage 3 competition clutch on my 05 LGT. While coming home today I gave it an extra bit of gas in 5th on the highway and I felt a slip from 2k-3k RPM!!:eek: I had just rebuilt the motor and upgraded basically all the parts to a 2012sti (except tranny). The car has only 9k miles on it and just began to slip, I am assuming I may need to look into getting a new clutch soon. Its crazy how after only 9k this is starting to happen. I do not drag race and have only launched the car once. I do give it hard acceleration from time to time when I need to smile, but I don't see why this should be happening just after 9k. This is my DD and I pump rev the gas between 1-2kRPM and need to let it ride out a little because it grabs HARD and to prevent heavy knocking. I will be driving it again tomorrow to see if this slippage still happens. If so judging by what I've read in this thread the competition clutch IS the way to go next to clutch masters. But with this current problem I am a little iffy about comp. clutches.

What you guys think? stick with comp. or go with clutch masters?

Whats up guys I currently have a stage 3 competition clutch on my 05 LGT. While coming home today I gave it an extra bit of gas in 5th on the highway and I felt a slip from 2k-3k RPM!!:eek: I had just rebuilt the motor and upgraded basically all the parts to a 2012sti (except tranny). The car has only 9k miles on it and just began to slip, I am assuming I may need to look into getting a new clutch soon. Its crazy how after only 9k this is starting to happen. I do not drag race and have only launched the car once. I do give it hard acceleration from time to time when I need to smile, but I don't see why this should be happening just after 9k. This is my DD and I pump rev the gas between 1-2kRPM and need to let it ride out a little because it grabs HARD and to prevent heavy knocking. I will be driving it again tomorrow to see if this slippage still happens. If so judging by what I've read in this thread the competition clutch IS the way to go next to clutch masters. But with this current problem I am a little iffy about comp. clutches.

What you guys think? stick with comp. or go with clutch masters?

A few followup questions:

How many miles on the clutch (assuming 9k?)

Was it a disc only or a complete clutch kit?

Which flywheel are you using? How many miles since new/resurface?

As M Sprank said, who did the install? Was the flywheel clean? etc?

-mike

Yes 9k on the clutch. I was not able to see the work done because the car was over hauled and aftermarket installation was done all at once (Clutch, invidia down pipe / exhaust basically a stage 2 upgrade) It was a complete clutch kit and all work was done by my good friend at Subaru. I am not sure of the HP but it has to be pushing well over 305hp and 300lbs torque. Unfortunately I am not sure about any spillage etc on the flywheel, but this JUST started happening. I was not able to drive it today, but will take it out in a few hours and give it some hard 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear pulls to see what is going on. Now that I think about it could it be a flywheel slippage problem? I will give you guys some feedback later. Thanks for the quick responses!

Archived