LegacyGT.com

Going stage 2, which clutch?

Zac88

I understand Mike, some times people don't know what they really want. It's hard when you deal with the general public.

There are those of us that do our research and have a mechanical background that have a good idea what is enough and what is overkill.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LGT. I can help, with product and questions. Seems to be some confusion in this thread. 06 WRX SMFW is same FW used in 07-09 LGT's.

This is correct.

06+ WRX 5MT and 07-09 LGT 5MT Flywheels and clutches are the same.

on and 05-06 LGT you need to get the "newer" flywheel and clutch combo because they came with the dual mass flywheel from the factory.

If you have an 05-06 LGT and are ditching the Dual Mass Flywheel you will also need to get the single mass flywheel bolts to go with it.

We offer similar pricing to Mike from Infamous, so just a matter of preference or location. (Infamous is West Coast, AZP is East Coast).

My personal preference for a Stage 2 car would be the FX300 or the ACT HD Clutches from my experiences with installing a bunch of clutches on Legacies we have found that this setup works best on a Stage 2 or even a 2+ car.

Also another factor to take into consideration is putting in the TSK3 kit when you do this install. When you can feel the snout of your trans after pulling it, make sure there are no ridges from the throwout bearing wearing on it. If there is even the slightest ridge you will get a chatter with your new clutch that is often masked by an older slipping clutch. We carry those kits as well for $160.

Hope the info helps out!

-mike

I understand Mike, some times people don't know what they really want. It's hard when you deal with the general public.

There are those of us that do our research and have a mechanical background that have a good idea what is enough and what is overkill.

Yeah, sometimes we need to break it down for the lowest common denominator surfing the web :)

I learned the overkill being bad on my first MT subie... I had owned a 1988 Subaru XT6 with an automatic. When that car died I bought a 1991 XT6 with MT and it had a bad clutch. So I went online and this was back in the day when there was almost no info on the web (circa 1999ish) in terms of clutchs and what not. I ended up buying a 4-puck racing clutch for it. Needless to say learning to drive stick with that 4-puck was eye opening!

:)

-mike

Yeah, sometimes we need to break it down for the lowest common denominator surfing the web :)

I learned the overkill being bad on my first MT subie... I had owned a 1988 Subaru XT6 with an automatic. When that car died I bought a 1991 XT6 with MT and it had a bad clutch. So I went online and this was back in the day when there was almost no info on the web (circa 1999ish) in terms of clutchs and what not. I ended up buying a 4-puck racing clutch for it. Needless to say learning to drive stick with that 4-puck was eye opening!

:)

-mike

Yes, the old on/off switch clutch. LOL, Had that in the Civic, unsprung.

+1 for the TSK3 kit too. I have that on the tranny in the 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Jake, sounds like you have never heard of the saying, "overkill". I doubt I would ever buy a stage 1 clutch or something they said would handle my hp. I would always buy a higher level clutch. But I'm 56y/o.

I have over 72,000 mile on my Spec 2+ I have launched the car a number of times. I'm not easy on the car. The thing is a beast. Yet is easy to DD.

I agree with you that you should definitely purchase with a margin of safety. The Stage 1 Exedy was suppose to be well overkill for what I needed and had a decent pressure plate for the driving I do. However it has yet to hold up well which is why I will be moving to a different clutch shortly as I am also not easy on my cars :icon_chee

I just didn't want to tell someone to get like you said the on/off switch. We had a customer last year put a 6 puck clutch in a Spec B with a relatively stock drivetrain. That thing was insanely hard to drive because of how heavy the pedal was and how quickly it grabbed. It sounds like we are all on the same page. I might have to look into that Spec 2+ now though :)

-Jake

Jake the Spec2+ does make a funny sound when you engage 1st gear most of the time. That's caused by the carbon kevlar material.

I will put a new one in the car when I do the short block. I'm hoping to make it till next spring and put another 12-15,000 miles on this block. It uses oil but hopefully with the new VF52 from Mike I can get the block to last thru winter. I don't mind putting a little oil in her twice a week.

BTW I also have thier LWFW too. Not sure that is needed now, but back in late June 07 I wanted to replace the oem clutch and there wasn't all the knowledge out there like now.

Straight up a Spec Stage2. Via GB, the Comp Clutch 2100. But the 2100 comes with a LWFW, so you would have to buy an OEM SMFW, which brings initial cost up slightly over all choices. Then you have the LWFW to sell, to make it cheaper overall. There are really a lot of choices.

Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit

Subaru OEM Single Mass Flywheel

So would that combo be fine for someone who DD's a Stage 2 LGT, never launches/races/auto-x?

I just want the clutch to be able to handle the power once it's fully engaged, no crazy slipping or dumping at 5K.

Actually, looking at the Comp Clutch 2100 it seems like a good deal too.

I just read LALGT's review on the 2300 in the GB forum. Regarding engagement, he said it's still pretty smooth, though grabs relatively quick. The 2100 should be even smoother correct?

Could the CC 2100 be used with a SMFW? TIA.

For an OEM feel the Exedy OEM replacement (stage nothing) clutch should give OEM feel. Exedy makes many, many, many of the oem clutches sold in new cars today. Do a wiki or google search on the company. Aftermarket is another story... Personally, I found the OEM clutch to be lacking at stage 2. It was okay but easily overpowered if slipped. The stage1 Exedy held the power but had way more driveability issues than my COMP with INSANE wtq holding and easy driving.

I just read LALGT's review on the 2300 in the GB forum. Regarding engagement, he said it's still pretty smooth, though grabs relatively quick. The 2100 should be even smoother correct?

To be clear - it is grabby but not on/off by any means. What I mean by grabby is that you can get it rolling under throttle with only a little clutch engagement where the OEM would just smell and go nowhere and the exedy stage1 would mostly move but smell bad too.

Today I drove in Los Angeles bumper to bumper across town in it, idled up a 15-20% slope with zero throttle in 1st gear and got started with zero throttle over, and over, and over, and over and over... You get the idea. L.A. traffic.

My main problem is the LWFW + LWPully is just a lot of lost mass/momentum in the motor. Im going back to oem pully and except perfection.

Edited by LosAngelesLGT

To be clear - it is grabby but not on/off by any means. What I mean by grabby is that you can get it rolling under throttle with only a little clutch engagement where the OEM would just smell and go nowhere and the exedy stage1 would mostly move but smell bad too.

Cool, thanks. I've had a sprung hub 6-puck in my Z32 and it was teh sux driving in traffic. Launching was fun, but that was about it.

I think I may even consider the CCI 2100 with the included LWFW, less hassle than buying, selling and shipping another one.

I sweetened the deal on the Comp Clutches. 5 buyers get a 5GL bucket of Extra-S for $50 plus shipping!

I love the CM FX300 for stage2 cars. Once you hit about 420 crank horse power, I see the need for more clutch.

Mike from AZP and I think much alike on clutches. Get what you need (plus a little bit). Not too much, break the clutch first, not the tranny.

NICE DEAL! I should buy some just to get the Extra S! :)

To continue the love fest, Mike @ Infamous rocks!

Are you guys sick yet? ;)

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Yep !

Get what you need (plus a little bit).

That's the thought that most should use. That's why I chose the Spec2+. It's more then I'll ever use, but I like a little extra in the bank...

Yea, I would expect that from someone from California... ;)

It IS the cereal state. If you're not a fruit or a nut, you're a flake.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Reading through here no one mentions the Clutchmasters FX200... that I noticed anyway. Wondering if anyone has anything to say about it. I'm running cat-back exhaust, gutted stock UP, and CAI.. plans for a DP and tune ahead.. but nothing beyond that.. do I really need the FX300 or will the FX200 be fine? I'm a spirited driver, but not tracking the car or anything. any input would be helpful.

A pad style clutch seems excessive for a street car. Why not the 200?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My only worry is that the fx300 will be a tad hard for a daily driver. I liked the pedal feel of the stock clutch. Thats the only reason im even considering the fx200. Has anyone driven both that could compare? Thanks for the input so far.

My only worry is that the fx300 will be a tad hard for a daily driver. I liked the pedal feel of the stock clutch. Thats the only reason im even considering the fx200. Has anyone driven both that could compare? Thanks for the input so far.

FX300 clutch pedal feel is SOFTER than stock. At least on the 05-06 Legacies. We've installed a few and all the guys at the shop noted how it was softer than the stockers...

-mike

FX300 is softer pedal than stock with better return "spring". Not my choice for more modded cars. But stage1-2.5 it is the clutch to beat. Competition Clutch 2100 is also very nice and far cheaper. It would probably surprise some people.

But for now, the stage1-2.5 gold standard is the CMFX300.