LegacyGT.com

Going stage 2, which clutch?

Zac88

It's nothing making contact. It has to do with resonance, and the fact that there is less mass to dampen the incremental rotational irregularities caused by lash built into the transmission design.

Ah, so it's actually gear lash noise? Interesting.

So my mechanic is almost done with the install, and when I checked in he noted the black lower shield for the clutch/FW would not fit with the 2100 combo. It appears to be due to the thicker pressure plate of the CCI clutch VS the OEM clutch for a DMFW. Does that make sense? and wouldn't that be an issue on most all aftermarket clutches?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so it's actually gear lash noise? Interesting.

So my mechanic is almost done with the install, and when I checked in he noted the black lower shield for the clutch/FW would not fit with the 2100 combo. It appears to be due to the thicker pressure plate of the CCI clutch VS the OEM clutch for a DMFW. Does that make sense? and wouldn't that be an issue on most all aftermarket clutches?

I'll ask the guys, but I'm pretty sure we put that plate back no matter what we install in the cars.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

It is always "open". Plate does not cover fw entirely. You can still see fw. Plate is also over crossmember. So, crossmember blocks access to it. Plate is FW inspection plate. It is at bottom of tranny under FW. Not sure what your mechanic is talking about as far as it not going back on. It is not anywhere near clutch. It is under fw and is lowest point of tanny. Other than he took it off, forgot to put it back on, installed the tranny and does not want to drop the tranny to put it on, because you cant get it on with the tranny in the car. Hence his "it does not fit" statement.

nah, tranny was still out when he was showing me. didn't quite make sense to me but whatever, as long as I'm not more worse off without it. BTW, got the Extra S on Friday, thanks. Faster shipping than FBP and I ordered on the same day. Edited by BigTDogg (MA)

FYI, anything FBP sells, I sell.

Same here :)

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

So I just picked my car up from the shop. Pedal feel is barely noticiably firmer than stock, barely. What's f'ing me up more is getting used to a LWFW. First and reverse are kicking my ass right now. I'll get used to it I'm sure, but the DMFW was soooo DD friendly. I've only driven 20 miles, so I'll get back to you when I'm tuned and it's broken in proper.

Yeah, I run an 11lb AL FW on my other car, so I know it just takes time. Figures, I finally figure out the DMFW and then I switch it up on myself, lol. The 2000RPM decel chatter is there, but I was doing critical listening the entire ride back from the shop. Radio on, I wouldn't even notice it.

The Group N tranny mount doesn't really contribute a noticable amount of NVH, and my old mount was in rough shape. The Perrin shifter bushings make for a crisp feel.

My inspection plate would not fit with the 2100 combo either. tried to bend it to fit around the pressure plate but gave up and left it off. Figured it was already somewhat open and located over the crossmember/steering rack was not likely to get splashed/dirty

My inspection plate would not fit with the 2100 combo either. tried to bend it to fit around the pressure plate but gave up and left it off. Figured it was already somewhat open and located over the crossmember/steering rack was not likely to get splashed/dirty

Yeah, my mechanic is pretty legit, so I didn't think he was crazy, and definitely isn't lazy.

No big deal though, as long as my shit still works.

How do you like your 2100 so far? Broken in yet?

not broken in yet, only have about 200 mi on it. So far so good, although it does shudder a little when I take off from a stop with rpm under 2000. Unsure if this will improve as it breaks in or if this is just something I need to adjust to with this particular clutch and give it a few more revs than I used to at launch.

Had an ACT flywheel on there prior to the clutch job (both exactly 14.1 lbs by my scale) with no problems, but judging from the look of the old pressure plate/flywheel it was doing plenty of slipping on its own LOL. Just something to get used to...

Well gentleman, I got my Spec Stage 2+ installed in just under 3 1/2 hours!!! Excellent time this time around as opposed to 8 hours last time.

So far, I realize that the clutch is grabby as ****. it engages real quick. Almost as if it were a 6 puck. The pedal feel is beyond gorgeous, better than stock if I might add. I'm hearing some chatter after 6 or 7 miles, but hopefully it goes away soon. I will keep you guys posted throughout the break in and after.

Engagement gets better with break in. Same thing happened with the 2300 I installed. After break in, we could one foot drive in traffic. Just slip the clutch with no throttle and creep through LA traffic. Can even shift with half clutch depression (like stock). Dont have to go to the firewall to shift. My ACT does not like that.

I sweetened the deal on the Comp Clutches. 5 buyers get a 5GL bucket of Extra-S for $50 plus shipping!

I love the CM FX300 for stage2 cars. Once you hit about 420 crank horse power, I see the need for more clutch.

Mike from AZP and I think much alike on clutches. Get what you need (plus a little bit). Not too much, break the clutch first, not the tranny.

Boy would I like to have a 5GL bucket of extra S for 50. I guess I should have waited on my clutch purchase, was a few months early on this deal. Course I purchased the CM FX300 though. ;)