LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

Some quick updates.

First thing is I updated the 1st post with an Index at the top for those who want to quickly check for specific topics in the thread.

Gas milage: I still don't have an accurate number at this point, I should have one by the end of next week. However, on the 4psi tune I was averaging around 22mpg mainly highway. As of today, I have almost 140 miles on this tank of gas, and am only down 2 ticks on the 2nd quarter (from the full end) on the gas gauge. So we'll see if it stays steady or if it'll exponentially fall as the miles pile up. After my 6psi tune I did get 23mpg after having a lot of fun with the car and it's new boost level. But that was mixed with the 2 different tunes.

For a question I was asked on the BOV vacuum line. I bought the vacuum line at Levine's, it's a 5.4mm ID I believe. They also had the 6mm T fitting. You can try autozone or advanced, I'm not sure if they carry it. At least in my town autozone doesn't stock anything (they're worthless ..) Anyways, picture of the line I tapped from the intake manifold, my thumb is kind of pointing at it under the coolant line.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/348/dscn2187d.jpg

And the Turbo XS Manual Boost Controller I put in for the re-tune to 6psi.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8936/dscn2188c.jpg

The car is running like a champ. It's really nice having that 6pounds of boost. It pulls very nicely in 5th on the highway from 70+ with little effort. Again, I don't regret ever going down this road. I loved the car to begin with and the turbo is just another unique component to its character.

I'll try and get some what of a 0-60 one day. But for now I'll try to give you guys an idea. Getting on an on ramp to a 3 lane highway, slightly uphill. I am going 30mph usually following a line of cars on to the highway. I usually put it into 3rd near the end of the ramp right before getting on the highway. The car pulls like a champ from 30-80 in 3rd gear by the time the other cars get to the end of the lane before it merges with the right hand lane of the highway. I don't know if this story will make sense to anyone so I'll just try and get some videos haha. I tried :lol::spin:

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you experiencing and compressor surge? thonking about using Synapse synchronic BOV any one have any experience with this BOV?

No compressor surge with the BOV valve. And a recirculating one is a good route to go with this car because of the MAF sensor.

sweet setup...i was going to go this route with my 2.5i but since there were electrical problems with it..i ended up trading it in for a gt...very clean...

you mentioned possible increase in HP..when will you start on getting internals?

keep it up man!!!

i love project cars, especially NA to turbo...sleepers are the best...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

This is awesome. Wish I could justify the price and downtime installing the kit.

It was worth it. Just make sure you have a reputable tuner local to tune it asap though if you ever head down this road.

sweet setup...i was going to go this route with my 2.5i but since there were electrical problems with it..i ended up trading it in for a gt...very clean...

you mentioned possible increase in HP..when will you start on getting internals?

keep it up man!!!

i love project cars, especially NA to turbo...sleepers are the best...

As of this point, I'm going to do full suspension mods. Including coilovers, sways/endlinks, brembos F/R, probably going to save up for some Spec B aluminum control arms too haha.

As far as the future for power goes, I was thinking of going with a 257 bottom end because from what I've heard/read the block is the weak point in this application. Possibly upgrade some internals while the motor is pulled at that point. Then turn the boost up to 10-12psi and that should put me easily over 250+ whp. But power mods are way low on the priority list now that the turbo is in and reliable!

I love the sleeper aspect of cars too! My car still looks like the typical 2.5i. I mean, if you know what you're looking for you'd notice the grill/FMIC/exhaust. I don't get any attention from anyone when driving on the road, be it other drivers or cops. But when I get on it, man is it fun :icon_bigg

with the power you're putting out do you think brembos front and rear is really worthwhile? I could understand 3-350whp to have them but with your HP that you have and plan to put out what about just upgrading your rotors and Hawk HPS pads? that should provide you with plenty of stopping power and you'd be fine. If anything i would just upgrade the front to a BBK, maybe Willwood or Stop Tech front BBK, some times you can find either for cheaper than brembos and other than just the name there really isnt a huge differance between the brands.

I would definitely recommend upgrading your sways and endlinks (dont forget the AVO mounts for the rear) just that alone the handling is like day and night. I also put BC BR series Coils on my legacy with my wheel/tire combo, coils and my F/R sways my car handles phenominal now. If you really wanted to keep the sleeper effect, upgrade to LGT calipers with Hawk pads and slotted rotors you will feel a big differance vs. stock. I'm not trying to knock on you for wanting brembo's just throwing some other options out there for you that would be more cost effective so you can put more money in to your power plans in the future. This kit has turned out well i like your thread.

I hear you RZA. I have a while to decide. I like the look of the brembos. The plan atm is black or silver painted brembo calipers, no decal. Girodisc rotors. SS brake lines. And probably hawk pads. But only time will tell. Thanks for the additional info though!

I'll have to look into that AVO part you mentioned as well. Still trying to decide on sway bar size. Not sure if I want to go 23 or 25 mm, or if 22mm adjustable would be enough.

As for coils I'm still at a cross roads. BC or ISC... I'm not slamming my car, but I want even wheel gap. Probably 2 finger. Then the ability to easily raise ride height for the winter. What's a good spring rate for daily and occasional auto-x?

I had a shop install and set up my coils. Trust me 22mm is more than enough for these cars especially if you plan to autocross, I have rallitek 22 front and 19 rear and compared to stock its like day and night. Plus coils the car has no body roll. Def get the avo rsb mounts because if you plan to auto x yout stock mounts will twist like a pretzel with the aftermarket sways, its an 80 dollar part its worth the investment. BC coils are def the best for your money, theyre just as good as the Megan, stanza and cusco coils, and just as good as the teins. A lot of members on here have BC's and love them.

I had a shop install and set up my coils. Trust me 22mm is more than enough for these cars especially if you plan to autocross, I have rallitek 22 front and 19 rear and compared to stock its like day and night. Plus coils the car has no body roll. Def get the avo rsb mounts because if you plan to auto x yout stock mounts will twist like a pretzel with the aftermarket sways, its an 80 dollar part its worth the investment. BC coils are def the best for your money, theyre just as good as the Megan, stanza and cusco coils, and just as good as the teins. A lot of members on here have BC's and love them.

I'll definitely get the rsb mounts!

I know a lot of people run BCs. How are they for driver comfort at non slammed settings?

they're not as comfortable as stock struts and springs on a bumpy road but the car drives like its on rails. one time i had to go through a pothole on a road near my house due to a truck parked on the side of the road and that felt pretty rough, it also bent and cracked one of my rims, bubbled that tire and popped the tire in the rear so just be extra careful with pot holes especially since you have rotas. I have prodrive wheels and it did a number on them.

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-Anti-Sway-Bar-Kit-LegacyOutback-Non-Turbo-2005-2009/p-4363

I reccomend that sway kit and this is the part i was telling you about

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-283/AVO-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

they're not as comfortable as stock struts and springs on a bumpy road but the car drives like its on rails. one time i had to go through a pothole on a road near my house due to a truck parked on the side of the road and that felt pretty rough, it also bent and cracked one of my rims, bubbled that tire and popped the tire in the rear so just be extra careful with pot holes especially since you have rotas. I have prodrive wheels and it did a number on them.

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-Anti-Sway-Bar-Kit-LegacyOutback-Non-Turbo-2005-2009/p-4363

I reccomend that sway kit and this is the part i was telling you about

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-283/AVO-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Yikes! I am certainly familiar with the rallitek sways. I'm not looking to do anything until the winter passes though, so I have plenty of time left for researching/saving. I'm going to have to look into the coilovers more in regards to spring rates. CT roads really suck, and I already do my best to avoid man holes/pot holes. Thanks again for the input RZA.

sometimes a spring strut combo may be better, the one guy on here Paisan from NJ when he had an LGT he had pinks with koni inserts for his suspension, gave the car an aggressive drop and it handled really well plus he tracked the car atleast 50 times over the 6 years he had the car. Last i talked to him he's in an STI and has the same setup too. That may be more practical than coils but Koni's may run you more money than a set of BC Coils, but honestly BC's are great they get the job done just search them on here plenty of users have written reviews on them.

Time for a fuel economy update. Finally got low enough to warrant filling up today. I was at 319.8 miles on the tank. Filled up the car with 12.832 gallons. That leaves me at 24.922mpg. I'm really happy with this considering I was struggling to get 22 on my 4psi tune.

Driving style for this tank: mainly highway cruising around 70 mph. I would say quite a bit of fun, especially on ramps. Definitely didn't go full out for fuel economy on this tank. With the 6 psi tune I have more power and gas milage thanks to a tiny bit more of turbo lag =)

Thanks for the update!

I should unsubscribe from this thread before I buy this kit :lol: I keep telling myself my DD should only use regular fuel and get good gas mileage and that I should save the big bucks for an actual performance car (used Porsche 911...yes it'll take a long time to save lol).

1stick3pedals im waiting on my blowoff valve and then im going for a tune... How were the guys at EFI when you brought your car for a tune? Ill be going there soon.. I went to a place in CT called ICS (import cars of Stanford) they deal mostly with BMW Subaru Porsche etc.. The owner is a really nice guy and he told me that he could tune my car with ECUTEK.. It turned out he couldnt tune the legacy with that software. When you were there did you tell the tuner exactly what you wanted?

1stick3pedals im waiting on my blowoff valve and then im going for a tune... How were the guys at EFI when you brought your car for a tune? Ill be going there soon.. I went to a place in CT called ICS (import cars of Stanford) they deal mostly with BMW Subaru Porsche etc.. The owner is a really nice guy and he told me that he could tune my car with ECUTEK.. It turned out he couldnt tune the legacy with that software. When you were there did you tell the tuner exactly what you wanted?

Tuning our n/a cars is a pain because we dont have any definitions developed at this point. However, Chris was able to tune my car after finally getting ahold of a definition. Essentially all the maps that make up a definition are labeled, but the one for my car had no labels. So thanks to Chris' experience and patience he was able to get the job done.

Pete does a great job with customer service and Chris does an amazing job tuning. My car is running like a champ right now, no issues. Just alot of smiles and grins from me haha.

Make sure you have a MBC before you go if you want to run 6lbs of boost. I told Chris I wanted reliability and he managed to get 201whp and 205wtq out of the car so I'm happy with that. I dont know if you had the issue with the manifold sensor code, but have that disabled if you get it. I'm not sure on what year your car is or type if transmission, but you might possibly have a definition already. I know for the 09 MT there is no fully developed code at this point.

Archived