LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo kit, 1000 miles later.

Thanks - here is my build thread. I was figuring a lot of things out as I went along. The kit didn't quite fit the car so there was a lot of messing around.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/416026-raptor-sc-my-05-california-2-5i-5mt.html

Did you ever run into P0068 code with your setup? I've been getting it (actually before I supercharged but after I had installed the new bigger MAF housing with honeycomb air straigthener) and trying to decide if I should just disable the code or if it's something I need to try to fix. I think it means that the MAF and MAP disagree on the air reading(???). My fuel trims are OK.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks - here is my build thread. I was figuring a lot of things out as I went along. The kit didn't quite fit the car so there was a lot of messing around.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/416026-raptor-sc-my-05-california-2-5i-5mt.html

Did you ever run into P0068 code with your setup? I've been getting it (actually before I supercharged but after I had installed the new bigger MAF housing with honeycomb air straigthener) and trying to decide if I should just disable the code or if it's something I need to try to fix. I think it means that the MAF and MAP disagree on the air reading(???). My fuel trims are OK.

Looks like you got a lot of flak in the beginning like usual when it comes to these builds. I'll have to check out a little better when I have more time. Looks fun though.

I never had the P0068 code. If the tune is good, MAF is calibrated right, MAP is scaled properly, fuel trims are good, and you're not getting any knock, I would say to just turn it off.

Did your tuner give you any feedback on the code?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks, I wanted to ask one other question. What plug gap do you run and which plugs? The Raptor folks told me to just stick with .043" but run Iridiums. The gap seems huge (as you probably know it's roughly the stock NA gap.) but I haven't had a chance to tinker with it otherwise. I don't get any misfires or "cylinder roughness" in logging or anything like that but wonder if there's an advantage to going down.

Haven't figured anything out on the P0068. It never showed up during the dyno run but I can make it appear any time by going up a slight incline in second gear at very low throttle. I don't think it is super important since the only time it ever comes on is low rpm, low load, low throttle in closed loop. But I turned it off for now but maybe will come back to it if I'm bored heh.

I asked Tim several times about the plug gap, it does seem big for boost. Plus, the stuff on rs25 forums about adding boost ALWAYS says to reduce the gap to .029-.031

Tim always told me to keep it big unless you get misfires

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Any thoughts on what it'd all handle with 100 octane gas?

Higher octane means you can run more boost. It would come down to the strength of the block and internals. Not sure if there is any research on the forums regarding this.

Hey! New here, own an Impreza but would share the same kit as you guys for the install. What mileage is everyone at that owns one? Any more autocross experiences? Thanks!

This was my personal thread, so I'm not sure if others are running this kit and are still out there. I have around 15k-20k miles on my car. I don't daily it, but it's still running good. I only did the 2 autoxs years ago, was hoping to start going regularly this year but have a kid coming this month so I might not be able to start until next year.

Thanks... I decided to go for it.

I've been running a mix of 93+Torco which gets old quick (~100 octane) just to see how it goes. I can hit 10 psi with medium timing no problem with detonation but torco is expensive and annoying.

After looking at the Sand rail guys, they say they get 330 (crank) hp out of a stock EJ253 on race gas on a 10 psi turbo on like 110 octane.

So I am going to try 10-11 psi on a supercharger with water/meth. IMO the supercharger should be significantly easier on the engine and I may even go 11psi. We'll actually hit 6psi much higher than you hit 6 psi on yours (something like 5000rpm for me). So the load is lower on the motor at least at that point...

I am waiting to see if EFI logics will tune it for me. A lot of folks seem to not want to touch it with a 10 foot pole once you get into that much power on a 253. With water/meth it should be easy to avoid detonation. We can pour on the water/meth at like 3500rpm which is still probably only 3 psi.

Right now I am trying to figure out where to put the water/meth setup (tank and pump). I just finished oil pressure and AFR gauges in the Ortiz cubby pod which came out real nice.

41711234814_44e291d6e8_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks... I decided to go for it.

I've been running a mix of 93+Torco which gets old quick (~100 octane) just to see how it goes. I can hit 10 psi with medium timing no problem with detonation but torco is expensive and annoying.

After looking at the Sand rail guys, they say they get 330 (crank) hp out of a stock EJ253 on race gas on a 10 psi turbo on like 110 octane.

So I am going to try 10-11 psi on a supercharger with water/meth. IMO the supercharger should be significantly easier on the engine and I may even go 11psi. We'll actually hit 6psi much higher than you hit 6 psi on yours (something like 5000rpm for me). So the load is lower on the motor at least at that point...

I am waiting to see if EFI logics will tune it for me. A lot of folks seem to not want to touch it with a 10 foot pole once you get into that much power on a 253. With water/meth it should be easy to avoid detonation. We can pour on the water/meth at like 3500rpm which is still probably only 3 psi.

Right now I am trying to figure out where to put the water/meth setup (tank and pump). I just finished oil pressure and AFR gauges in the Ortiz cubby pod which came out real nice.

That's a lot of power on the stock bottom end. Nice. I maxed out at 6.5-7psi when I got a check up tune by Tuning Alliance. I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade my fuel pressure regulator to a 1:1 though.

A supercharger would be cool to get on there. That's a high rpm for peak boost though, what are you using the car for?

I'm sure a tuner wouldn't mind pushing those levels as much if you have some good knock hardware for monitoring.

The gage panel came out nice.

@ 1stick3pedals how high are you revving yours?

I think my redline was upped to 6500, not that I ever go over 6k.

Oh thanks for replying. I don't actually think the bottom end is the issue, just the compression (detonation) and the heat. So with the water/meth injection (which is now installed and up and running but still messing with the tune), I think it's pretty safe. It's my daily driver but I don't drive very much.

I'm still tinkering with it. It seems to have settled in around 9 psi @6100, maybe 10 psi if I rev to 6500. I don't think that belt is slipping but need to double check that..

I recently removed the entire exhaust to see what would happen and airflow went up by 30 g/s (about 237 g/s) at ~6200, so I think 230-240whp is possible. Don't think there is much more in it than that though - maybe with custom cams??

I have no clue. I just got this 2013 1.5 years ago and long it. It could use just a little more pep in it's step.

You should look into it over on romraider.com.

I am curious too because in the future I am going to want a "bigger-ish" newerish 6 speed wagon not with only 175 crank horsepower.

I am curious too because in the future I am going to want a "bigger-ish" newerish 6 speed wagon not with only 175 crank horsepower.

I understand the OB is NOT the WRX or anything like that, however, it still have most of the same parts. And that is the reason I asked the question. Besides I like my 27 MPG.

Does anyone know if turbo/super 253 will benefit from forced induction cams? Trying to see what to do to take this to the next level. Really hard to get info about whether it's worth the effort. Some folks on NASIOC thought it'd only be good for 10hp but I doubt many have truly tested this to say so.

Archived