LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

That's why I'm over the EJ25. You spend $5000 to make it powerful, $3000 more so it can handle it, then it rewards you by breaking. If you get it running right, you can have 400whp but it's a pain to drive on the street. 500whp and you are close to buying a second car. Or start a biggybank fund for a GM 3800 v6 all iron engine, which CAN handle big powa, inexpensively.

Amen, ClimberD!

I'm 8K into my motor, turbo and supporting fuel mods since May 21 and still doesn't run right! Tranny shift and leak issues should be a thing of the past by tomorrow night, then can button up the tune for new motor, turbo and fuel upgrades and then maybe................................ it'll run right?????

Exactly. I have come to adore the 5eat for its potential, sort of love/hate. The stock torque converter is a stout piece. There is room for more clutch disks on all the major clutch packs, if need be. Nothing has ever actually broken aside from the center diffs, but hopefully the new bulletproof bushings take care of that. The center diff clutch is AWESOME. The 5th gear ratio is inefficient for a fuel economy-centric car, but what do you expect out of a Japanese 'sports' car. It really needs aftermarket TCU control, but NO ONE has done this yet, and it's a hassle to setup for sure. I'm happy to have a AWD 5AT with locking inputs and output that can probably be made to handle a LOT of power (we'll see eventually), especially at this price point (next step up is GT-R).

But the engine... I'm done with this engine!

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

At this point I wish someone had something more for the 08+ 5EAT then the engine. Of course I'm still very very early in the mod process for my Sube.

No matter what I've come to realize nothing will ever be perfect....which pisses me the HELL OFF!

Hex F1 came out 6 years after the 05 LGT did. By comparison, 08 valve body solution is looking to halve that time :) It helds that I can buy 05 valve bodies fairly inexpensively.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

just sent my valve body out to get hexed up!!! man you guys scare me bout all this talk bout bad motors but hey play hard you pay hard. trust me i know. i had a 05 lgt b4 this 05 lgt. that one i rebuilt the motor with forged everything and then bam 3 weeks later im getting divorced and my car is getting repod. so ne one with a 05 pearl blue lgt out there with my car dont even know they have a built motor

.....The 5th gear ratio is inefficient for a fuel economy-centric car, but what do you expect out of a Japanese 'sports' car. It really needs aftermarket TCU control, but NO ONE has done this yet, and it's a hassle to setup for sure...

Since you have opened your 5EAT countless times, can you say how easy or difficult it would be to change the 5th gear ratio? I have played with this on 5MT in my Impreza and really like the extra 'legs' on my frequent highway trips with my .74 Rallispec gear. Being new to autos I don't know if it is even possible given the TCU issues people seem to have when changing anything dramatically.

Best,

C.H.

Mechanics aside it would probably be a programatic nightmare. AFAIK the TCU monitors gear ratio and freaks out if it sees something it doesn't think should be occuring. I remember for those that had their tranny shit the bed via slippage, the TCU started throwing codes such as incorrect gear ratio, etc. Most likely it "knew" what gear it was supposed to be in, vehicle speed vs engine speed freaked it out. That, and/or shaft rotation sensors probably.

At very least it would require a different TCU tune (custom) which would in turn require an aftermarket controller. You would also need to have a new planetary gear set or two machined, and that is serious business. It would basically be the highest level of mechanical customization you can do, and it is completely beyond me.

187 miles so far with matching tranny and ClimberD modded valve body and this thing gets smoother and smoother. Even running it at 20PSI and smooth as butter!

Thank you ClimberD. Fantastic product and service!

Don't get any on you, (valve body holds a bunch more ATF after you've dropped the pan). Have at least 6 quarts on hand for refill. Take your time with your new gasket maker, don't want any leaks and have to drop pan again and waste all your ATF. Don't over torque your pan bolts, (soft aluminum in there). Keep checking your ATF after you've got it all back together. Took a long time (probably 10 top-offs) to get it back to full Hot after several test drives and dipstick checks.

Give approx 100 miles to settle in, learn to shift. It'll be great right off the bat, 4-5th shift at low throttle position and coasting took the longest to settle down for me.

good to know, what gasket maker do you recommend, i work for honda and was going to use honda bond, good idea?

Not sure what Honda bond is exactly. I recommend a product by I believe Permatex called RIGHT STUFF. It sometimes comes in a caulk gun like tube. They may make smaller tubes. Get it at most auto parts stores.

187 miles so far with matching tranny and ClimberD modded valve body and this thing gets smoother and smoother. Even running it at 20PSI and smooth as butter!

Thank you ClimberD. Fantastic product and service!

Let's go '08 tranny's- you can do it!

good to know, what gasket maker do you recommend, i work for honda and was going to use honda bond, good idea?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3437164&postcount=1

Install Notes to make your life easier:

-8mm hex socket / allen key for ATF drain plug.

-10mm socket and extension for everything else!

-Electric Drill with socket adapter will really speed things up.

-Always have a big drain/drip pan handy to catch all the fluid. When you think it's done, you will loosen another VB bolt and it will start raining again. It will drip forever, don't be in a rush.

-You do not always need to replace the drain plug gasket, but assess on a case-by-case basis. If you are missing a gasket, add one. 18mm copper crush washer or regular copper washer is all you need.

-All bolt torque specs should be respected. Most important is that they are all even. Don't over tighten!

-Whether working on removing the transmission pan or valve body, loosen all bolts but do not at first remove them. This gives the pan or valve body a few millimeters to separate from its respected mating surface. For the pan, this trick will allow you to avoid ATF splash city (the drain plug does not drain all ATF from the pan. For the valve body, this allows the VB to decouple from the transmission, allowing yet more fluid to come out.

-Separating the pan from the transmission after the bolts are loosened/removed is a pain because the silicone/RTV gasket has glued it on. Use a plastic trim tool to wedge the pan off the transmission.

-When the pan is off, you will see leftover gasket on the transmission machined mating surface, and on the pan. Use a drill and wire wheel to knock off the gasket material from the pan. PICTURE Use a razor blade to shave the gasket material from the trans mating surface.

-Use Brake Cleaner to clean up the pan and pan magnet thoroughly.

-The VB is held in by 2 different lengths of bolts. Just be cognizant of this and reference the attached/linked PDFs when reinstalling.

-The VB is heavy. If you can get a jack with pad under it, that may make your life a little easier for uninstalling or re-installing it.

-Remember to line up the shift position rod with the transmission shift position cylinder when you are installing the new VB in the transmission. It will make sense when you see it.

-For pan re-installation, I recommend Permatex Right Stuff Gasket, because it dries in a few minutes, and is easy to apply. Put on a ring around the pan, lining the inside (lightly) and outside of each bolt hole. Less is more, unless you use too little ;)

First and last, use common sense.

Please PM or post any questions.

I also posted links to the exact FSM instrustions for the job. Everything is in that one post :)

• 2 weeks later...
Bump, other than the postal service losing my valve body. ClimerD has been on his game. Excellent customer service, easy to work with, I dont know why more 5eat owners are not opting for this work of art! When I finally have a valve body I will post my results.

Indeed I'm just slightly upset a Hex F1 is missing via USPS Overnight, and they also lied about when I delivered it (pathetic). So I'm basically out a core, and a mod that includes hours of labor. I hate USPS. But Quick4dr has been a really great customer as we work through everything.

The valve body managed to make it to a sort facility in NY, so all hope is not lost I might get it back. But we're doing another valve body just in case.

got my valve body back yesterday gonna install it this sat!!! but....wont be able to get my car runnin till the 1st of sept since i just sent out my injectors to witchhunter. goin stage 3.5 will let you know how it handles power. here is my mods what stage is this exactly?

Bnr hta68 turbo

Walbro 255 fuel pump

Pe850cc injectors cleaned by witchhunter

Grimmspeed ewg

Tial 38mm wg 1 bar spring

Perrin turbo inlet hose

Aem cai

Tgv deletes

NVIDIA catless downpipe

Greddy evo2 exhaust

Perrin tmic

Hks ssqv3 bov vent to atmosphere