LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

Updated with a lot of helpful removal and installation tips, packaging instructions, and attached 2 important PDFs.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3351577&postcount=1

Message me to have your Valve Body upgraded to a HexMods F1!

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

A couple generous/enterprising 08-09 5EAT owners have offered to send me their valve body so I can see what we're dealing with.

Instructions for removal are attached. Read both pages because there are good bits of advice scattered throughout, such as arrows to each bolt to remove, on page 2.

As copied from my Vendor page, here are my tips:

Install Notes to make your life easier:

-8mm hex socket / allen key for ATF drain plug.

-10mm socket and extension for everything else!

-Electric Drill with socket adapter will really speed things up.

-Always have a big drain/drip pan handy to catch all the fluid. When you think it's done, you will loosen another VB bolt and it will start raining again. It will drip forever, don't be in a rush.

-You do not always need to replace the drain plug gasket, but assess on a case-by-case basis. If you are missing a gasket, add one. 18mm copper crush washer or regular copper washer is all you need.

-All bolt torque specs should be respected. Most important is that they are all even. Don't over tighten!

-Whether working on removing the transmission pan or valve body, loosen all bolts but do not at first remove them. This gives the pan or valve body a few millimeters to separate from its respected mating surface. For the pan, this trick will allow you to avoid ATF splash city (the drain plug does not drain all ATF from the pan. For the valve body, this allows the VB to decouple from the transmission, allowing yet more fluid to come out.

-Separating the pan from the transmission after the bolts are loosened/removed is a pain because the silicone/RTV gasket has glued it on. Use a plastic trim tool to wedge the pan off the transmission.

-When the pan is off, you will see leftover gasket on the transmission machined mating surface, and on the pan. Use a drill and wire wheel to knock off the gasket material from the pan. PICTURE Use a razor blade to shave the gasket material from the trans mating surface.

-Use Brake Cleaner to clean up the pan and pan magnet thoroughly.

-The VB is held in by 2 different lengths of bolts. Just be cognizant of this and reference the attached/linked PDFs when reinstalling.

-The VB is heavy. If you can get a jack with pad under it, that may make your life a little easier for uninstalling or re-installing it.

-Remember to line up the shift position rod with the transmission shift position cylinder when you are installing the new VB in the transmission. It will make sense when you see it.

-For pan re-installation, I recommend Permatex Right Stuff Gasket, because it dries in a few minutes, and is easy to apply. Put on a ring around the pan, lining the inside and outside of each bolt hole. Less is more, unless you use too little ;)

First and last, use common sense.

Please PM or post any questions.

2008-2009 5EAT Valve Body Removal Instructions.pdf

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

If you have a clean tub and you do a good job cleaning around the pan, you should be able to reuse the ATF. I would use a funnel with an inline filter when putting it back into the tranny. I mention this only because I have not long ago put fresh Amsoil in there and it would be a shame to dump most of it.

That's what I do. I save as much of it as I can. Reuse what comes out of the pan plug. Throw away what comes out when the pan is pulled, since that can get contaminated. Wipe the sides down real quick after pulling the pan, and bring back the save tub for pulling the VB. VB itself holds a lot of fluid.

Well climber looks like ill be out of town this weekend. I cant wait to come back and pull my VB and get it down to you. I feel like a gitty little girl about this VB mod. I had no hope for this tranny except full build, now I do.

I have come up with a solution that will address all of my Floating VB concerns, AND it will come with the same 90 Day Guarantee! That way I will be able to stand behind every HEX Valve Body out there, which I need to have happen so that quality can be maintained! In short, I am about to launch a sort of core program after all, but it will have a twist that should balance out all of our mutual concerns. Stay tuned to my vendor thread. I hope to write up the new product augmentation tonight or tomorrow. Edited by ClimberD@HexMods

D. If gong forward with a "floating" version, just remember about the gear position indicator. Going to have to explain in great detail how to remove and replace in proper orientation and gear selection. Otherwise going to have a whole bunch of cars that wont start or shift. This seems to be the number 1 error made by back yard mechanics.

D. If gong forward with a "floating" version, just remember about the gear position indicator. Going to have to explain in great detail how to remove and replace in proper orientation and gear selection. Otherwise going to have a whole bunch of cars that wont start or shift. This seems to be the number 1 error made by back yard mechanics.

Are you talking about for all years? I actually made that mistake the first time. Installed everything, couldn't start or shift. Turned out we didn't align it in the rod properly. I'll make sure people are aware of it. Thanks for the tip!

My instructions have everyone leave the shifter position sensor attached to the VB, untouched. Just needs to be lined up for reinstallation.

First time I saw it, I knew for sure it got missed a lot. I stared at it for a few minutes and took a pic to make sure I had it correct going back in. Still tend to take a pic during installs, just in case. Would hate to button her up and have to pull the cover again.

One way to be sure, just pull the plastic tab and pop your key in the shift-lock solenoid release, and put the shift lever through all the gears.

Take a pic. Make sure to put it back exactly as it came out. This is actually why IPT does not like the floating idea. They fear (or have had to deal with) customers getting the gear position indicator incorrectly installed. I think with good install instructions (they supply none) it is not an issue.

Are you referring to when some people use to take off the gear position sensor? My instructions leave that alone, as there's no point to removing it. As for lining it up, I'll make a note.

If they are swapping with a "floater", the "floater" wont have the indicator installed. When we got the "floater" to install for a customer, it had none. So, we had to remove his and re-install in "floater". It would only be a function of a "floater".

When did your "floater" install take place? Trying to connect the dots. I've heard of the position sensor being removed before for a VB mail-off to IPT.

We did one about a month ago with the "floater". DannyBoys car as I recall. Came with no indicator. Removed his and installed in new VB.

Just dont want you having to deal with unexpected issues. I am sure there will be enough things to deal with already.

Deff interested in what you find with the 08-09. I have a local shop that already performs VB and full race build for 5EAT's (with modified VB's and custom built torque converters). But they too are not familiar with the 08-09 changes. I would love to be able to "fix" my 08 and go stage3 "reliably". It needs a new turbo. I dont trust what is in there now.

To be sure we are on the same page, is the inhibitor switch that was removed the sliding sensor that bolts to the side of the VB with 3 bolts and a wire harness connection? That never should have been removed by whomever did so, and if it is still missing then you are right, it's a pain for me to shoulder. It's an abuse of the floater program and now I have to track down the person behind this issue. Please confirm whether this description fits what you found. Thank you.