LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

On 1/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, osu cycling said:

2005 OBW 3.0. Looking for recommendations on whether I should pursue TCU Memory 2 clear and/or dealer performed relearn based on rough shifts that persist 800 miles after VB install. I've got a VAGCOM cable and FreeSSM.

Background: HexMods VB has been installed along with thermostat and new hoses per ClimberD recommended configuration. ATF is at full mark measured between 170-180 F. Shifting hasn't been as great as I expected, namely occasional hard shifts from 4th or higher into 3rd. There's one hill in particular where the car is guaranteed to shift hard into 3rd around the same spot every time... not talking hard and crisp, but a fairly uncomforting shock. It'll do this sometimes on the freeway at fairly light throttle when it decides to downshift... again, usually associated with a slight incline where I can sense it's trying to hold onto the higher gear but on the verge of downshifting... I feel it could shift to 4th early and do A-OK, but it holds onto 5th for as long as it can. If I have it in manual mode, it copes with downshifts into 3rd just fine... hard shifts are confined to regular D and sport. Overall, reminds me of the shifts that accompany the 5EAT when a MAF sensor needs replaced or cleaning.

Re-learn efforts thus far: Based on recommendations in this thread, I left it to relearn on its own without resetting the TCU after installing the VB, but by now feel it should've resolved any lingering adjustments. Transmission shifted perfectly fine before the HexMod VB install, albeit with 300K miles on the odo. When I took it to the dealer this morning to request they reset the TCU and perform a relearn procedure per section 5AT(diag)-21 of the 2005 FSM (attached), they had the car for 90 minutes and drove it 2 miles... said ATF levels were fine, transmission shifted normal, and that a relearn isn't possible on the 2005 as it's self learning. Don't see how that's the case when the 2005 FSM spells out the procedure using SSM. I don't think they even reset the TCU... perhaps that's why they ultimately didn't charge me.

But it got me wondering... is a dealer relearn for the 2005-06 just resetting the TCU and driving it on level ground at specified throttle levels (12.5%) while it shifts on its own... which I could do easy enough at home, or do they put it on the lift with wheels off ground and command shifts in a manner using SSM that I can't do on my own?

5eat-Learning Control.pdf 29.15 kB · 1 download

Do the reset. Period. Good luck. 

• 1 year later...

LGT 5eat car year? 05 06 07 08 09

IPT VB mod already performed? Yes or No

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself? yes

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself? yes

BTW it is a 09OBXTLim Are you emailing when you are ready to move on with this or posting here?

4 hours ago, Vcolon said:

BTW it is a 09OBXTLim Are you emailing when you are ready to move on with this or posting here?

These are long gone...