LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it’s been a couple of months since I first put these on, approx. 7000 miles on them right now. I am coming from Bridgestone 760 sport which I absolutely loved, sticky tire each set gave me about 36-38K miles. The problem was they were on back order when the time came to get another set. After all the rebates and install it came out to $480.00. So on with the 4X review.

Tire Noise: They are by far the quietest tire I have owned on the Legacy one caveat to this is they seem to be a bit noisy when cold and as they warm up the quiet down. This is purely subjective but that is what I have noticed.

Treadwear: Jury is still out on this one as with 7000 miles and only one rotation it’s hard to say. I did take a trip up to the Dragon and associated roads this Thanksgiving and noticed when I rotated the tires at 5000 miles that the fronts had some wear due to the nature of the roads up there. You folks in the mountains must go through some tires!

Stickiness: Very impressed esp. when you consider this is an AS tire, the cold weather in the smokies ~30-35 deg did not seem to bother the grip in the least bit. We did not get any snow so I'll have to leave that review

to the northern boys as Miami does not get much of that. ;) Dry grip is very good the tire has excellent initial turn in. On a long sweeper the tire does seem to squirm a bit but that may just be the fact that it’s at full tread depth. In my personal option the dry traction is as good as any UHPAS and on pas with even some UHP summers out there.

Wet Traction: This is one that I get to test very often down here in Miami where we can get some major downpours in a short period of time. The Tire is by far the best wet handling tire I have ever owned. In heavy rain going about 60-70 mph the tires feel planted with no hint of hydroplaning.

Ride: The tires ride very smooth although the stiff sidewall makes the harsh bumps a bit more exaggerated than they should be. I am riding on 225/40-18 size with the JDM Spec B Rev A suspension.

Hope this review helps some folks...

I just want to second this review, except to add that for me I believe the tires do a superb job absorbing small bumps and road undulations - after which they take the edge off anything hit.

I've also driven them, literally brand new, in 3" of snow. Not ideal testing conditions considering they hadn't broken in yet, but superb light snow traction nonetheless. Better than michelin pilot exalto a/s.

Only about 3000 miles for me on them.

Big performance difference between the Pilot Sport A/S and the Pilot Exalto A/S. There's no comparison between Exalto's so-so A/S performance and the Sport's superb A/S performance.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The Exalto is rated as a high-performance tire whereas the Sport is rated as an ultra-high performance tire. The Exalto would be a decent choice for a daily-driven sedan/cross-over that didn't see much variation in weather patterns.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...

Goodyear has introduced a new UHPAS tire, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season:

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/96378/new_tires_aplenty_coming_from_goodyear.aspx

..........."An all-new design, according to Goodyear, Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season follows the same three-tread-zone formula as the Assurance line, with distinct wet, dry and snow/ice (termed “all-season” by Goodyear in this case) tread areas.

The specialized tread compounds of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season are supplemented by Goodyear’s TredLock Technology, microgrooves that provide wet traction biting edges, and Traction Teeth, which provides more all-season biting edges.

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season carries a 45,000-mile tread life limited warranty, is tunable for OE applications, Goodyear said. It carries W- and Y-speed ratings, and will be offered in 36 different size combinations.".............

Just got a set of contiextremecontacts with the wheel trade I did. 225/40 on a 8.5 wow... they aren't bad at all when you push them. havent seen rain or anything yet but dry is still not compromised.

While the majority of the crowd here raves about the Continental Extremecontact DWS. I did not. I had put down some miles on the tires through wet and dry conditions (no snow yet) and find that I'm not very impressed with them at all. I had more luck with the Yokohama S4 (If I remember correctly) than this set of tires. The overall stickyness and soft sidewall is a downer for me (Yes, I did pump up the PSI levels)

Would not purchase again. Going back to Yokohama.

I have no control over drippie.

Is there a good place where I can read objective ratings regarding noise of these tires discussed here? I am ditching my F1 A/S prematurely because they are unbearably loud so whatever uhp set I go with next I do NOT want to deal with this again.

Until GoodYear does something about the compound they use, stay the hell away from the F1s. They are unbearably loud.

What would be a good choice for summer tires for my wife's 98 Outback? I bought her a set of 16" Forester wheels so I'll need some new tires next month or so. Stock size is 205/70 15 so I'm thinking 215/60 16, but there aren't many choices in high performance AS or summer tires.

The ADVAN S.4. Looks like a decent selection at $125ea. I'd like to stay under $500 shipped if possible though.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Until GoodYear does something about the compound they use, stay the hell away from the F1s. They are unbearably loud.

I thought they changed the compound due to all the noise complaints and the silent recall.

Are you on your 2nd set of F1 AS? I switched to Eagle GTs, had them for about 2 years until the tread started separating on 3 of 4 tires. So I had those replaced with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures. I've only had them for a couple months but so far they've been far quieter than Eagle GTs.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Yes they changed it.

I was about to say "hold the bus". The tire place inspected them, they said they're evenly worn, everything checks out except the rear right bearing is rough and causing the noise. 96K miles, 4K more miles and I would have had to pay for them ... Scheduled replacement with Subaru dealer. The reason I did not even suspect the bearing is because it is whistling/growling very similarly to the way the old bad tires were. I'll have it replaced and we'll see how much noise is actually tires. And I hope both are bad so I don't go over 100K and have to pay for the other one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided on a tire.

Pirelli PZero Nero All-Season. This is based on countless hours of research, reading test reviews, user reviews and other analysis. First driving on them will be Saturday, with a 300 mile trip on Sunday. Will report back once I get some more feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived