LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

Yeah, leaning that way now but I like the DWS for the money and improved snow performance. Doesnt seem like there is anything else in that price range with that level of performance and ride comfort/low noise.

Have you looked at the Kumho Ecsta 4X?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
technically, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 isn't a UHP A/S based on the categorization (just a label really) at Tire Rack... but they are AA traction rated, which is something I always look for in my tires...

I agree, not a UHPAS. Michelin puts the Primacy MXM4 in the category of "Luxury Performance Touring All Season".

To respond to outahere:

Side walls can wear from hard cornering and constant canyon driving. Not necessarily the sidewall itself, right at the corner of the tire. The center tread was fine. Anyway, it was premature wear across all four tires, nothing to do with the driving in this scenario.

I've done a ton of canyon-carving with my LGT Wagon, in the SoCal mountains, and I've never had an issue with my MPS ASes, through 35-40K miles, on each of three sets (one 17" set, two 18" sets). Sidewall/edge wear sounds more like bad alignment settings, i.e. toe-in/out front/rear
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The MPS ASes have a tendency to wear on sides faster than middle tread block. Just my experience seeing them go in and out of the shop. Michelin knows about this tread condition as well and gives credit back on previous tires for new set.
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Guess that's just not been my experience.

Ya I love the tires just what I've seen happen to them is that. Put them on my dads bmw 740 and they did that. Seen mostly on audi's interestingly. The Allroads especially.

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

With the adjustable suspension on the Allroad, I could see the camber (and by extension, the toe) consistently changing between full-lift / full-drop.

• Moderators

In my searching I've found costco's tires to be overpriced. Tirerack was consistently the cheapest it seemed for what I was looking for, even with shipping. Getting tires mounted at costco is also a colossal waste of time and I'm not impressed with their techs. Just my opinion.

Oddly enough the reason I joined costco in the first place was to buy tires, but that was a long time ago now.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

In my searching I've found costco's tires to be overpriced. Tirerack was consistently the cheapest it seemed for what I was looking for, even with shipping. Getting tires mounted at costco is also a colossal waste of time and I'm not impressed with their techs. Just my opinion.

Oddly enough the reason I joined costco in the first place was to buy tires, but that was a long time ago now.

I agree Costco isn't the deal it used to be but with Tire Rack you have to also remember shipping and mount/balance are extra. Plus Costco also includes lifetime flat repair and re-balance.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Looking back over this thread, it is obvious that the last 18 months have been pretty active, with at least 9 new UHPAS tires being introduced:

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

Falken Azenis PT722 AS

Cooper Zeon RS3-A

Kumho Ecsta 4X

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus

General G-MAX AS-03

Nitto Motivo

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season

Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2

Maybe in 2013 Michelin and Continental will join the party and introduce some new UHPAS tires.

Bang for the buck though, the Motivo looks like a good competitor. If my shitty Yoko 430's are holding up to the daily driving and one of them having a bulge from whatever the reason and are practically bald....I'm sure the Motivo's will satisfy my needs in a tire. Plus, the price is awesome and so do the reviews...biased or not.

Yes, there are good reviews out there of the Motivos at various car forums, from reviewers who I believe received a free set from Nitto. Too bad Tirerack doesn't sell Nitto, so we could see from the surveys there how it compares to other UHPAS tires. For instance, the Kumho 4X rates high in the TR survey, and it has a price similar to the Motivo I think.

In 2013 Consumer's Report will be testing several dozen UHPAS and UHP Summer tires, with results available in Oct 2013.

Another few months have gone by with my Michelins UHPAS, I've been pretty happy given how I drive them. I don't think I will see the 45k miles some people are getting out of them. I will get through winter easily and possibly through next summer depending how much I'm driving and if I decide to get a set of track/non winter wheels (2014 wrx will determine how much money I keep putting into legacy).

I had some outer edge wear initially so I bumped pressure to 35/37 and this seems to be helping. I rotate every other oil change (6k).

I will say that I really like these tires for most uses. They are a great do everything tire. I still want more grip sometimes on the dry, but that's just me wanting these tires to be something they aren't, and never will be.

I really want to compare the bridgestones. Based on all reviews I think they may provide the slightly better dry performance I'm looking for while maintaining respectable snow grip. I'm sure there will be new options by the time I replace these though.

I'm running them year-round here in SoCar. Same as I did in SoCal. I only swap them out for the stock wheels and Dunlop Wintersport winter tires when I head North (1000 mile roundtrip) and I realisitically expect to have heavy snow and ice to contend with enroute.

Fortunately, with the previous weather patterns, I've not had a reason to swap them out, so they're my daily drivers. Not sure what this winter will hold, but so far stil on the MPS ASes.

Hankook has a new UHPAS tire coming out soon, on Oct 30 at SEMA, but its model name has not yet been revealed.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2012/10/new-hankook-tire-is-shhuussh-it-s-a-secret.aspx

".........Hankook’s new ultra-high performance all-season tire will feature innovative technology that enables highly efficient wet braking, maximum grip in all driving conditions, lower rolling resistance, improved durability and greater stability and handling performance. It will be unveiled at a press conference at Hankook’s booth on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at 3:30 p.m....."

This new tire is called the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2. Was there a Noble1?

This tire has a non-directional tread design.

".....The new Ventus S1 noble2 features a triple-radius profile that maintains maximum grip under ultra-high performance all-season driving conditions, and offers lower rolling resistance for increased fuel efficiency. The tire also was developed through the use of 3D vibration analysis technology which produces an advanced mold profile, designed to deliver uniform contact pressure on the tire’s center and shoulder blocks for secure braking performance. Straight rib blocks are applied to the outside of the tire to reduce road noise.

The Ventus S1 noble2 will be available to consumers beginning in March of 2013 in 40 sizes in many popular 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 inch fitments........"

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2012/10/sema-show-day-two-hankook-spotlights-new-tires-contest-winners-heroes-and-friends.aspx

Archived