LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Really? I can't remember how the OEM's felt, but at my settings, I feel they're pretty stiff unless you mean 'soft' when taking on/off ramps spiritedly? In that case, I agree now that I'm running the Hankook V12s.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Iunno why they feel so soft. Might be my head messing with me. But they def. ride softer. at 41/40 it feels more normal to me I guess? Soft as in like a luxury car, not my sport sedan I think I have. haha. I'm also on stock suspension so its hard to tell at times whether its my tires or not. shrug.

My oem yokohamas wore really fast towards the end. Made it 27k miles before i had enough.

Iunno why they feel so soft. Might be my head messing with me. But they def. ride softer. at 41/40 it feels more normal to me I guess? Soft as in like a luxury car, not my sport sedan I think I have. haha. I'm also on stock suspension so its hard to tell at times whether its my tires or not. shrug.

My oem yokohamas wore really fast towards the end. Made it 27k miles before i had enough.

Ahh, okay, that makes sense now lol. I'm sitting on a revamped suspension setup, which is why I can feel the DWSs much better and more responsive at 40F/38R.

FYI:

Epics/Konis

22mm F/R sway bars with rear reinforcement brackets

Whiteline LCA, SRB and ROCK kit

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Just got back from Discount Tire, they want $755 total (out the door) for the Contintental ExtremeContact DWS. Was all set to replace my Kumho Ecsta SPT's with them until I read about the soft Sidewalls not only here, but also at the TSX forums. After that, i just can't do it. I typical run a 34 FR/ 32R setup. I shouldn't need to bump up the pressure to 40 (or higher) to make those tires not suck.

So now I'm looking at P-Nero Zero's, or possible the new Kumho Ecsta 4X's. I would go with the new Pilots, but $226-EA (tirerack) is more $$$ than I want to spend.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

^ I paid 724 OTD at sears with an alignment.

^That's a good deal

I stopped by another place on Lunch and looked at Dunlop Fierce Instinct ZR's. The tread looked good, and the deal is really good, but I don't know anything about these tires. The size is 225/40ZR18

^ I tried price matching tire rack but they wouldn't go that low. I got them down to 125 a tire which was the same price as i was quoted from another shop at tire rack prices, but sears mounts for way cheaper. so the price came out the same. =] price was actually 710 OTD, i paid an extra 15 to get a 5th wheel into the mix. I wanted my wheels perfect, so i swapped out my damaged one. =]

I decided not to mess with the Dunlops, not enough reviews, found one bad one. I'm going with Hanook Ventus Evo 12's, everyone seems to love them, 9 pages of positive reviews, many of them coming from the tires I have on my car now (Kumho SPT's) and all were very happy, that sold me.

I didn't like the PZN ASes at all - too much tramlining for my taste. Tire pressures seemed to have no effect on the incidence or severity of the tramilining. YMMV.

Just replaced my MPS ASes with MPS AS+es. Fourth set, second 225/40x18 set on 18x8 wheels and still love this tire. Still have the second set of 225/40x17 MPS ASes in the garage as a standby set for the stock wheels. I run 36F/34R. Cost installed was about $860 and change.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I decided not to mess with the Dunlops, not enough reviews, found one bad one. I'm going with Hanook Ventus Evo 12's, everyone seems to love them, 9 pages of positive reviews, many of them coming from the tires I have on my car now (Kumho SPT's) and all were very happy, that sold me.

Well scratch that, those are not All Seasons.....back to the drawing board again....

I'm about to replace my michelin pilot exalto a/s in 225/45/17 on my 06 Civic SI after 48k miles on them (still some tread, but they hydroplane now and are coming out of balance after being good for the entire stretch). Aggressively driven, lotta hard cornering. Amazing tire. Put the same thing on my Legacy GT before they stopped offering it.

Anyway, I'm weighing 3 tires right now:

Kumho's new Ecsta 4x - $106/tire w/ $50 mail-in rebate on top of that. It appears to be Kumho's improvement of the ASX series, which was a great economy tire in the UHPAS series. Leaning towards this.

Continential DWS - Just went up $10/tire to $116, but now includes a free Magellan GPS (was considering buying one anyway...). Lotta decent reviews, but the potentially bubble prone sidewall scares me.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $175 tire. I KNOW this is gonna be a good tire, but that's alot of extra beans over the Kumho....they did have a rebate, but it just dissapeared on tire rack.

It's a tough choice. I think I might try out the Kumho Ecsta 4x because it's inexpensive and I've long considered the ASX a fine tire.

I'm about to replace my michelin pilot exalto a/s in 225/45/17 on my 06 Civic SI after 48k miles on them (still some tread, but they hydroplane now and are coming out of balance after being good for the entire stretch). Aggressively driven, lotta hard cornering. Amazing tire. Put the same thing on my Legacy GT before they stopped offering it.

Anyway, I'm weighing 3 tires right now:

Kumho's new Ecsta 4x - $106/tire w/ $50 mail-in rebate on top of that. It appears to be Kumho's improvement of the ASX series, which was a great economy tire in the UHPAS series. Leaning towards this.

Continential DWS - Just went up $10/tire to $116, but now includes a free Magellan GPS (was considering buying one anyway...). Lotta decent reviews, but the potentially bubble prone sidewall scares me.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $175 tire. I KNOW this is gonna be a good tire, but that's alot of extra beans over the Kumho....they did have a rebate, but it just dissapeared on tire rack.

It's a tough choice. I think I might try out the Kumho Ecsta 4x because it's inexpensive and I've long considered the ASX a fine tire.

I have a new Magellan (2011) model GPS, they work but certainly aren't the most user friendly as it makes you enter in the address backwards and if the street you need to find doesn't pop up in the search results, you're SOL, it bars you from continuing. I thought about throwing it window several times.

Back to the All Seasons, I'm leaning towards the Ecsta 4X's now too. My Kumho SPT's are now $160 ea, loved them in the sun and in the rain, but they are horrible in the snow, and all season tire should at least have some semblence of traction in the snow, they had none. It was like driving on bald tires. I want a good all around all season performance tire with light snow traction.

My michelin pilot exalto a/s were the best all seasons I've ever had in deep snow (6+ inches, occasionally plowing 9" inches). Still couldn't stop well or turn well in it, but my 2860 pound civic SI running 225/45/17 (which is one size wider than stock) was able to PLOW down backroads, including hills, of 6-8" of unplowed snow with those tires. As long as I kept the momentum, I could keep going and they'd keep pulling.

By contract, General Exclaim UHPs and other tires sometimes left me unable to move on 2-3" of snow and a light incline.

I have a new Magellan (2011) model GPS, they work but certainly aren't the most user friendly as it makes you enter in the address backwards and if the street you need to find doesn't pop up in the search results, you're SOL, it bars you from continuing. I thought about throwing it window several times.

Back to the All Seasons, I'm leaning towards the Ecsta 4X's now too. My Kumho SPT's are now $160 ea, loved them in the sun and in the rain, but they are horrible in the snow, and all season tire should at least have some semblence of traction in the snow, they had none. It was like driving on bald tires. I want a good all around all season performance tire with light snow traction.

Kumho SPT are summer tires. They are meant to suck in snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+SPT

Krzys

Kumho SPT are summer tires. They are meant to suck in snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+SPT

Krzys

Yup. And I wouldn't consider a tire for a GPS personally. A decent Garmin can be had for a little over $100.

Anyone try the Kumho's or the General's yet? Those are my two personal front runners, but I'm still not buying until next springs

nice! didn't see it when I bought them on the 2nd. Bought them on the 2nd because of the $130 VISA, GPS is a bonus!!

that labor day weekend deal was sick. i saw that 130 visa deal but didnt pull the trigger. ima dumbass!

Archived