LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

Looking to order my tires today or tomorrow and pick them up from tire rack. Looking for the best all season tire right now.. I'm coming from conti ssr tires

Depends on what you want them to be the best at. Dry/wet traction it's probably going to be hard to beat MPAS3, as they are nearly as grippy as many summer tires. However from what I've read they don't have very good snow traction.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I concur with the numerous comments about the DWS's and the high tire pressure required to get them to perform adequately. Mine are almost done and I think I'll go with Michelin A/S 3's to replace them. For my summer set I'm going to replace my Goodyear F1 Asym's (also almost gone) with Super Sport's. I'm a contractor and I don't really know when I might have to temporarily relocate to a place that requires A/S tires, CO for instance, so I need to have an A/S set ready to go.

Depends on what you want them to be the best at. Dry/wet traction it's probably going to be hard to beat MPAS3, as they are nearly as grippy as many summer tires. However from what I've read they don't have very good snow traction.

Yeah I saw the reviews on the MPAS3 on the rack.. now I have to rethink my tires.. Willing to trade a little dry for snow until I make up my mind about getting a dedicated set of snows

It's a little too late in the year for full snows for me otherwise it would be a no brainer.. my job requires me to be at work as long as the highways are not shutdown regardless if my street and way out is plowed or not.

I bought a set of these in 225/40/18 for my SpecB wheels a few months ago and I've been really happy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+PA31&partnum=24VR8PA31XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I used to run summer performance stuff and had a set of aftermarket 17's with snow tires but I just bought these in November and ran then all winter. Definitely not as much grip in the snow compared to X-ice2 I had but more than capable.

I tried a set of the Kumho 4x before as well but Tirerack had these with a $50 mail-in rebate and I figured I'd rather have the treadwear than ultimate grip (I think I'm getting old). Grip fine in the dry and the wet and aren't worthless in the snow. Quiet and comfortable and seems to be wearing okay. For the price, a great tire.

I personally like the performance of the Nitto Motivo. I can drive during heavy rains with confidence.

Agree. Ok dry traction, really really good in the rain, and I'd say fair on the snow, and ice...but not too good on solid ice.

I ruined my carbon lip. :(

I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, and thought I'd throw a review up. I am in Western Canada, and so the "winter tire" aspect was very important to me. These are great tires...but they are not a substitute for winter tires. The problem comes back to temperature. They freeze up like hockey pucks below freezing tempuratures. If you are in a warmer climate that may get snow once in a while (i.e Vancouver, Pacific Northwest US) then these will likely be just fine. But if you live in an area that has consistent below freezing temps, and snow and ice, these are no better than any other all season.

That being said, the rest of the year they are very nice. I bought these hoping to have true all season capability, but I ended up going back and buying a set of Blizzaks for winter. Even the mid-grade Blizzaks I have are far superior to the Continentals int he winter.

I have the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, and thought I'd throw a review up. I am in Western Canada, and so the "winter tire" aspect was very important to me. These are great tires...but they are not a substitute for winter tires. The problem comes back to temperature. They freeze up like hockey pucks below freezing tempuratures. If you are in a warmer climate that may get snow once in a while (i.e Vancouver, Pacific Northwest US) then these will likely be just fine. But if you live in an area that has consistent below freezing temps, and snow and ice, these are no better than any other all season.

That being said, the rest of the year they are very nice. I bought these hoping to have true all season capability, but I ended up going back and buying a set of Blizzaks for winter. Even the mid-grade Blizzaks I have are far superior to the Continentals int he winter.

It's a lot colder where you are, but I'd have to agree that there is no substitute for winter tires if you expect to get around safely in cold and snowy conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently I have been running a set of Continental PureContact DWS All Season tires in the Spring-Summer-Fall, and just before this winter I picked up a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContact Snow Tires and honestly could not be happier. Ever since I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my Impreza I have highly preferred Continental tires for my car. Living in CT, considering we are a 4 season state and do receive a fair amount of snow in the winter I am extremely happy with the tires I have.

I'm at the end of life for my Michelin Primacy MXM4s ~ 50k miles on them. This is the 3rd set of this brand tire and I couldn't be happier with life and performance they had on an accord, a camry and now the legacy.

I'll be getting another set in a couple weeks. Currently at a 225x45x18. Thinking of going to a 235x50 or 225x50.

I've been very impressed with my Pirelli p zero Nero this winter. I'm sure new-tire tread depth is part of it, but I've had no problems with acceleration or braking. Corners, well you know that's just a matter is speed

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions...

UHPAS Tires

For those who have run the Conti DWS, MPAS3s, RE970AS Pole Position, or any other UHPAS tires.... would you recommend your tires for use in snow at the beginning/end of the snow season? I have dedicated winter tires/rims (Blizzaks) that I will run throughout the winter, however I am worried about switching the tires too early in the spring, or too late in the winter, and getting caught with snow on the ground and UHPAS tires on the Subaru.

Tire Size

I have the factory 17" 10-spoke rims (http://www.allfactorywheels.com/products/2010%252d2012-Subaru-Legacy-17%22-68786.html) and wondering what size will safely fit on the rim? Tirerack says 215/50R17 (~817 rev/mile), but I'm wondering if I could go with a 225/50R17? This tire would register a slower speed, but at 805 rev/mile, it's a drop of less than 2%. Edit: Stock suspension, no plans on lowering (ever).

Always liked my MPS ASes in the occasional light wet, slippery snow, as well as I liked them in the heavier, and/or hard-packed/slush stuff.

Beyond that, the benefit you derive from running an AS tire is that the AS "compound" is suited to colder temps, provides a decent modicum of traction, when needed, in the "opening volleys or last hurrahs" of winter snow or freezing rain, and then gets you deep into UHPS tire territory without needing a dedicated Summer tire.

I run Dunlop WinterSport M3 UHPW tires for three months (at most) and then run the MPSAS3es the rest of the year. Both sets on dedicated wheels.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
Love the ride and handling on my MPS AS3's, I just had them rotated @10k-14 months and the front were @6/32 & rears 7/32 (originally 10.5/32 wearing evenly, I do not drive the car hard but at this rate they may not last 25k, anyone have any thoughts? I know I'll get prorated but jeez:confused:

Love the ride and handling on my MPS AS3's, I just had them rotated @10k-14 months and the front were @6/32 & rears 7/32 (originally 10.5/32 wearing evenly, I do not drive the car hard but at this rate they may not last 25k, anyone have any thoughts? I know I'll get prorated but jeez:confused:

My AS+/AS+2 (one set of each) only made it approx 25k each before the outer sides wore off. AS+2 had major blistering too.. But, drove great, and got pro-rated on the AS+2.. So far, AS3s are doing well after 6-8k (something like that). Even if they don't get to 25k, still love 'em..

Archived