LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

^ I would LOVE to trade tires with you for a day or two and compare them with the michelins back to back on a legacy. Preferably on a day that has a freezing snowy morning, tapering off to rain, then an 80* afternoon and a lot of twisty roads :)

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3rd set of MPS ASes (these are the first "plus" version) on my 05 LGTW, and after over a year of nearly daily and long-distance driving, can't even tell they're wearing. Grip, handling, cornering, rain, dry, yuck, just blow me away every day. No other tire, i.e., Contis, P-Zeros, Kumhos, Goodyears, Bridgestones come close. The only exception IME, is the Bridgestone 9xxASes which come a reasonable second in everything but the MPS ASes excellent snow handling - the Bridgestone's just didn't get it done there for me.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Goodyear has introduced a new UHPAS tire, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season:

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/96378/new_tires_aplenty_coming_from_goodyear.aspx

..........."An all-new design, according to Goodyear, Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season follows the same three-tread-zone formula as the Assurance line, with distinct wet, dry and snow/ice (termed “all-season” by Goodyear in this case) tread areas.

The specialized tread compounds of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season are supplemented by Goodyear’s TredLock Technology, microgrooves that provide wet traction biting edges, and Traction Teeth, which provides more all-season biting edges.

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season carries a 45,000-mile tread life limited warranty, is tunable for OE applications, Goodyear said. It carries W- and Y-speed ratings, and will be offered in 36 different size combinations.".............

Looks like this new UHPAS tire will be available in July, 2012. More info about it has been released:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/News/Story/2012/05/Goodyear-demos-new-Eagle-F1-s-wet-handling.aspx

"........The Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season is an all-new design, inspired by the complementary summer tire, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. Its asymmetric tread pattern is based on the summer tire, but the Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season features a Dry Handling Zone on the outside shoulder for enhanced handling and grip, and an All-Season Zone on the inside shoulder for increased water evacuation........"

I am between RE970AS and Michelin MPS for my next tires. Keep the reviews/comparisons coming.

I've had RE960s before and am on DWSs now.

I really like my RE970AS tires. Sticky enough, and they hold up well in wet conditions. A little more pricey than DWS, but they perform well IMO.

Hicksta I currently have the DWS and so far I like them a lot. I'm only using them for the spring, summer and fall so we're only talking wet and dry use. IYO what are the best features of the RE970AS relative to spring, summer and fall use?

Hicksta I currently have the DWS and so far I like them a lot. I'm only using them for the spring, summer and fall so we're only talking wet and dry use. IYO what are the best features of the RE970AS relative to spring, summer and fall use?

I like the ride of the RE970AS and they've held up well for all sorts of driving whether I'm playing racecar, doing my boring commute, stopping hard or driving in rain. I haven't had them in snow, but I suspect they'd be fine in light snow. They're not a loud tire either, which is nice.

Here's a TireRack review that includes both tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=147&affiliate=VS8. Honestly, the price of the DWS is a no brainer. I want to say they're like $200 cheaper than the Bridgestones. I'd venture to say the tradeoff in performance is negligible.

Any complaints with the soft sidewalls?

• 4 weeks later...
Any complaints with the soft sidewalls?

Yes. Two damaged tires in <20k miles, giant sidewall bubbles. I wonder if this wouldn'ta happened had I gone 215-45-17 on stock rims. Maybe soft side walls and stretching it to that point where its kinda squirmy (225) was the bad choice on stock rims... though 'everyone' is doing it.

I don't think you can research any other tire company and find as many claims of sidewall damage and bubbles. If you have to over inflate from what you're used to / is printed on vehicle to avoid ruining a set of tires and having to get all four.. include that in owner info? I'll never buy continental tires again. Again, maybe 215 would have been a world of difference, 225 on stock rims never felt that safe and now I have to buy new tires.

Toyo has introduced a new UHPAS, the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus.

"...............the new tire “delivers ultra-high performance and all-season versatility plus better snow braking and significantly longer tread life than its leading competitor, plus a quieter ride over the life of the tire..............”

"........The Proxes 4 Plus comes with a treadwear warranty of up to 50,000 miles and qualifies for the Toyo Tires No Regrets 45-day, 500-mile trial offer..........."

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/101112/new_as_uhp_launched_by_toyo_tire_usa.aspx

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/News/Story/2012/06/Toyo-launches-Proxes-4-Plus-UHP-tire.aspx

Not following the logic.

If 225 is streched on the wheel than 215 will be stretched even more (assuming the same aspect ratio).

Krzys

PS No compaints about ContiWinterContact TS810 on my part.

I used the word stretching incorrectly. Pushing it to 225's rather.. That was all speculation anyway.

Anyway, got the new Kumho Ecsta 4x's put on today at Discount Tire. First experience with this chain, and the one I went to had them in stock + 100% positive feedback. In and out in 30 minutes, very professional, no upsale BS (though, I think I bought everything I could :p). Guess that isn't related, but... they feel a lot better. Much stiffer. Won't compare anything else since all I can remember of my continentals is the past few hundred miles with sidewall bubbles. Front right's bubble actually extended in to the tread, so when I came to stops I would actually bounce. Oh yea, and driving straight down the interstate was like keeping a dog in the bath tub.

I'm really liking my RE970PPs... had them on for about 1k miles and they seem to be a big improvement over stock. Though, full disclosure, I put them on the car around the same time I put on a new RSB, FSTB, CBE and went stage 1... so perhaps there's a few too many variables at work there... Seems like the tires added more grip, less body roll and about 40hp/120tq! They even improved the exhaust note... Amazing tires! :eek::spin:

I'm really liking my RE970PPs... had them on for about 1k miles and they seem to be a big improvement over stock. Though, full disclosure, I put them on the car around the same time I put on a new RSB, FSTB, CBE and went stage 1... so perhaps there's a few too many variables at work there... Seems like the tires added more grip, less body roll and about 40hp/120tq! They even improved the exhaust note... Amazing tires! :eek::spin:

Hmm, intriguing...

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I am at 35k with Conti DWS. They are bit noiser and have lost their incredible wet traction. The S in DWS has fully worn off and W is partially worn.

I would not buy these tires again, overhyped IMHO. Snow traction has always been underwhelming to say it nicely.

• Moderators

Well, I put on re970s this morning--225/45-17s on STI BBSs. On the way home from getting the tires installed I had to make the most evasive maneuver of my life so far--changed lanes to go around a car in front of me only to see a full sized truck tire in the lane that I was changing into right as I was changing lanes. I knew there was no one in the next lane over so I did a full lane change maneuver at about 65mph with no drama. That's also with stock suspension.

Needless to say I'm happy with the tires so far, especially considering they're not even broken in. They are also whisper quiet compared to my old set (yokohama avid w4s). The whole set cost me ~$680, not bad for a great set of tires that should last me a good 4 years or so.

Don't cheap out on your tires--no matter how many $$$'s you invest in EVERYTHING ELSE, you are still only connected to the road by 4 small patches of rubber--make it count.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 months later...

As many of you already probably know, Tire Rack recently (Aug 2012) posted the results of their latest test of UHPAS tires.

"......the Tire Rack team conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive comparing the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tires. Our evaluation used 2012 BMW F30 328i sedans fitted with new, full tread depth 245/40R18 tires mounted on 18x8.0" wheels."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=165

As many of you already probably know, Tire Rack recently (Aug 2012) posted the results of their latest test of UHPAS tires.

"......the Tire Rack team conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive comparing the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position, Continental ExtremeContact DWS, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tires. Our evaluation used 2012 BMW F30 328i sedans fitted with new, full tread depth 245/40R18 tires mounted on 18x8.0" wheels."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=165

I have done 12k miles with Conti DWS on my stock '08 Spec B. I move with the weather towing the Subie behind my motor home so I tend to avoid both extreme summer and winter weather. I spend a lot of time high in the mountains and do considerable wet weather driving and am very pleased with the DWS in the wet. Like others I found extra pressure to be key for these tires, and as others have pointed out these are not tires for street racers but they are quiet comfortable and a nice all around compromise. I think they were about $125 when I bought mine making them the clear price/performance champ at the time, now that they have become popular Conti has raised the price and moved closer to Bridgestone/Michelin/Pirelli pricing. I think these tires require a little more break in time and miles than most tires so you may find negative first impressions do not last. I quoted the

link to the Tirerack review because to me it sounded spot on.

Steve

Cool in Cloudcroft

Mad1, what pressure do you run them at? Are they still acceptable as far as comfort and noise?

Some have said by bumping them to 40-42 PSI they get close to the characteristics of other tires which negates their advantage in those aspects.

I run 40psi front and rear, seems to have no real impact on the ride or noise just improves cornering.

Will continue to stick with the MPS AS...know it sounds like a broken record, but I've yet to find anything better for out-of-the-box handling, performance, dry, wet and snow/ice control and they wear like iron, yet are supple.

Not sure how Michelin engineered this tire tread to provide all of that, and attached it to a sidewall that is nicely compliant for daily-driving but nails the corners when pushed. Love my MPS ASes.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived