LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my situation they will be. But in CT driving in deep snow only happens for the most part in the early morning hours. Last year I was driving into Hartford for 5 am so most of the time the roads had not been touched yet. It was crazy driving down major highways with a foot of snow on them, but the car performed perfect. I cant imagine snow type tires :)

And this is an Ultra High Performance All Season thread... :confused:

Guess I wasn't clear. ;)

Will be interested to hear how the PAs do in Spring, Summer, and Fall driving.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And this is an Ultra High Performance All Season thread... :confused:

Some people run performance winters all year. Not saying I would, unless they're too worn to be useful in snow.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

That is not the intended purpose of said tires and thus outside the focus of this thread.

All Season, as in designed by the manufacturer for all seasons. It's not meant to be a discussion about what drag radials I ought to run in the winter.

I've got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS installed today. The initial impression was a "meh" at best. I guess I'll have to put some miles on it to fully judge these tires.

And I did went with 225/45R17 instead of the OEM size.

I have no control over drippie.

^ Why the wider tire? I would have chosen the DWS if snow was something I would have to deal with on a daily basis for months out of the year. If that were the case I'd have definitely stuck to a thin (stock) size. If not planning to auto X or track my car a wider tire won't benefit me much, and if planning to auto x or track my car... dws would not be on my list.

^ Actually if I had snow months out of the year I may consider a set of actual snow tires but still, you get the idea.

Give it some time to wear-off the rubber release agent - and pump up the pressures to decrease sidewall flex/roll (seems like members are getting the most performance at the 40F/38R pressure threshold) and you should be good to go. Keep in mind that the ride gets pretty non-compliant at those pressures.

I bought the tires in the wider size to fill in the fender gap. And If I were to buy a set of 17"s these tires will go on the new wheels.

The tire was highly rated on here and tirerack, so i thought I'd give these tires a go. I will definitely increase the tire psi to see how it performs. I'm just happy I got new tires :lol:

If I'm canyon-carving then I run 38F/36R. Otherwise, for daily driving I run 36F/34R, unless I'm towing then it's just the opposite with 36F/38R.

I've got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS installed today. The initial impression was a "meh" at best. I guess I'll have to put some miles on it to fully judge these tires.

And I did went with 225/45R17 instead of the OEM size.

Initial impression should always be a "meh" with new tires until you put at least 500 or so miles on. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

Don't push the car hard before that period is up.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll take it easy for those few miles.

It did rain pretty hard today. Driving in the rain was better than before but still slightly unresponsive in corners. Once they are broken in, I'll see what it's capable of :)

Nitto has a new UHPAS tire, the "Motivo"

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/motivo

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/94873/nittos_new_motivo_active_allseason_uhp_is_out.aspx

"The all-season UHP is being produced at the Toyo Tire USA plant in Georgia, and features “exceptional tire uniformity for a smooth and comfortable driving experience,” the tire company said.

The Motivo is backed by a 60,000-mile limited treadwear warranty on both its W- and Y-rated sizes. It is available now in 10 sizes of 17- and 18-inch wheel diameters. Additional sizes will be added – 17- through 20-inch – and the entire line will have 50 sizes, Nitto said."

• 2 weeks later...
Just had the Kumho 4x put on I post up some thoughts once the miles pile up.

So it’s been a couple of months since I first put these on, approx. 7000 miles on them right now. I am coming from Bridgestone 760 sport which I absolutely loved, sticky tire each set gave me about 36-38K miles. The problem was they were on back order when the time came to get another set. After all the rebates and install it came out to $480.00. So on with the 4X review.

Tire Noise: They are by far the quietest tire I have owned on the Legacy one caveat to this is they seem to be a bit noisy when cold and as they warm up the quiet down. This is purely subjective but that is what I have noticed.

Treadwear: Jury is still out on this one as with 7000 miles and only one rotation it’s hard to say. I did take a trip up to the Dragon and associated roads this Thanksgiving and noticed when I rotated the tires at 5000 miles that the fronts had some wear due to the nature of the roads up there. You folks in the mountains must go through some tires!

Stickiness: Very impressed esp. when you consider this is an AS tire, the cold weather in the smokies ~30-35 deg did not seem to bother the grip in the least bit. We did not get any snow so I'll have to leave that review

to the northern boys as Miami does not get much of that. ;) Dry grip is very good the tire has excellent initial turn in. On a long sweeper the tire does seem to squirm a bit but that may just be the fact that it’s at full tread depth. In my personal option the dry traction is as good as any UHPAS and on pas with even some UHP summers out there.

Wet Traction: This is one that I get to test very often down here in Miami where we can get some major downpours in a short period of time. The Tire is by far the best wet handling tire I have ever owned. In heavy rain going about 60-70 mph the tires feel planted with no hint of hydroplaning.

Ride: The tires ride very smooth although the stiff sidewall makes the harsh bumps a bit more exaggerated than they should be. I am riding on 225/40-18 size with the JDM Spec B Rev A suspension.

Hope this review helps some folks...

I recently installed General G-MAX AS-03. I had Potenza G 019 before these. I bought the General tires because I originally had General Exclaim UHP on my previous two vehicles and really liked what the tires had to offer for the price and performance. Very similar to Potenzas but with less noise.

In reference to the G-MAX AS-03 (stock size)-

Noise: It's minimal once tires are warmed up probably due to softer sidewall. The Potenza G 019 prior to these were a bit loud for my taste.

Treadwear: Only had these installed for 1000 miles. Rating and warranty is higher than the G 019. But we'll see (I have my hopes up.) I live in FL so mostly smooth roads and few tracks every other month.

Grip: The wet traction of these tires is great, very confident when it's raining doing highway speeds 70+ MPH. Dry grip is spot on and smooth on turn-in. These will see a bit more action in March when it sees the track for fun.

Comfort: Ride quality has become smoother and the noise reduction has made longer rides an ease. There is a little more response when the car hits bumps or harsh roads. But overall worth every penny.

Archived