LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

Eagle F1 are obnoxiously loud. Do not recommend.

If you talking about the latest review, they tested the new Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=165

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS are new, don't know yet if they have noise issues.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Asymmetric+All-Season

The Eagle F1 AS with the tread that looks like an arrow, are the ones that get obscenely loud.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All+Season

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, got the new Kumho Ecsta 4x's put on today at Discount Tire. First experience with this chain, and the one I went to had them in stock + 100% positive feedback. In and out in 30 minutes, very professional, no upsale BS (though, I think I bought everything I could :p). Guess that isn't related, but... they feel a lot better. Much stiffer. Won't compare anything else since all I can remember of my continentals is the past few hundred miles with sidewall bubbles. Front right's bubble actually extended in to the tread, so when I came to stops I would actually bounce. Oh yea, and driving straight down the interstate was like keeping a dog in the bath tub.

Been looking at the Kumho Ecta 4x's also for my next tire in a 235/40/R18. Great price and reviews on tirerack.com. Do you have any follow-up opinions on them since you have put more miles on them?

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

I just put 225/40/18 Kumho 4x's on my '06 Spec B stock wheels a few weeks ago. I replaced my completely corded Sumitomo HTR Z3 that lasted me about 1 1/2 summers. So far, I'm very happy with them.

I've mostly run 240-300 treadwear summer performance tires in the past, and usually got about a year / 15k miles out of them, and run a dedicated set of winter tires when the snow starts falling (Xice 2's which hopefully have another winter left). I decided to step down a level to UHPAS (with 400+ treadwear) this time as I don't autox the car anymore (have my Nissan for that) and I'm hoping to get 2 years out of them if I keep the car that long. Plus, if I get caught out by a freak early snowstorm, I won't get the same ass puckering workout drive home and be trying to swap the wheels in a cold snowy driveway.

I've only had them a few weeks and <1k miles, but during normal highway / backroad driving, I'm extremely happy with the Kumho's. Quiet on highway, good grip and have dealt with some heavy rains here in Pittsburgh without any problems. So far, I would recommend them if your in the market, especially for the price (plus the $50 rebate that tirerack's running right now).

Conti DWS's work well for me too, I run 40/38 PSI, great ride and no noise issue's. I've got 8k on them price was a steal when i bought them!

My F1s were like that, great for the first 10K miles.

Then, well, try to picture a giant pack of wolves in the forest.

Some of them are howling at the moon, some are mourning their dead, others are doing mating calls, and one of those bastards will sometimes yelp for no goddamned reason. All of the above at the same time.

THAT is how Good Year Eagle F1 A/S UHP tires will sound after about 10K miles.

I'm due for a balance/rotation and will check the tread depth. Maybe I'm finally less than 50% left on them and can get myself to buy a new set.

As it is, I guess I am a glutton for punishment and trying to push that expense back as long as possible.

I ended up ordering some Kumho Ecsta 4x's in a 235/40/R18 mounted on some black Ultraleggeras. Should get them in a couple weeks since the wheels had to be sourced from different warehouses. The tires have good reviews on Tirerack and also a $50 rebate so I'll give them a try.
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

I ended up ordering some Kumho Ecsta 4x's in a 235/40/R18 mounted on some black Ultraleggeras. Should get them in a couple weeks since the wheels had to be sourced from different warehouses. The tires have good reviews on Tirerack and also a $50 rebate so I'll give them a try.

My F1s were like that, great for the first 10K miles.

Then, well, try to picture a giant pack of wolves in the forest.

Some of them are howling at the moon, some are mourning their dead, others are doing mating calls, and one of those bastards will sometimes yelp for no goddamned reason. All of the above at the same time.

THAT is how Good Year Eagle F1 A/S UHP tires will sound after about 10K miles.

I'm due for a balance/rotation and will check the tread depth. Maybe I'm finally less than 50% left on them and can get myself to buy a new set.

As it is, I guess I am a glutton for punishment and trying to push that expense back as long as possible.

My Conti's were doing the same, thought it was the tires. It ended up being the rear wheel bearings. Had them replaced for nothing under the 8 year 100k Subaru warranty they came up with after determining they had sound issues noise issues.

Conti DWS's work well for me too, I run 40/38 PSI, great ride and no noise issue's. I've got 8k on them price was a steal when i bought them!

I've had a good experience with these on my DD wagon. I've also been running the higher pressures since the sidewalls are a bit soft. Good performance in the snow and I've been impressed with lack of hydroplaning at highway speeds in very wet conditions and wear has been acceptable.

I just took the plunge on a set of GT Radial Champiro UHP1 and I have to say I am very impressed with how they grip. It doesn't rain much out here so I can't comment on wet traction yet, until I move to FL next week. Best bang for the buck I've found on tires yet. $87 ea. at Discount Tire.

I posted them with pics in the Tires sticky.

Running the BFGoodrich gforce comp 2's and they stick like a dream. They are a directional tire channel water great would highly recommend them or the BFGoodrich KDW's for some great traction on pavement. In my experience at Discount Tire I have never seen good things from Kuhmo they wear poorly and cant hold a corner. The way I look at tires, now have been working in the industry for 4 years, what you pay for is what you get.
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Kumho started from obscurity which most brands do, they have high end tires like the ones you are using currently, but their bread and butter remains in the cheaper tire end. I was thinking about the BFs but decided it just wasn't in my budget or driving style to get such a high end tire.

I will be happy if I get 2 years out of the tires I have on now, which their wear rating was only 280...

My Conti's were doing the same, thought it was the tires. It ended up being the rear wheel bearings. Had them replaced for nothing under the 8 year 100k Subaru warranty they came up with after determining they had sound issues noise issues.

Already had one replaced and the sound subsided considerably.

What's left now is definitely the damn tires.

I had the dealer check both and then an independent shop too just to make sure the dealer isn't trying to short-change me.

Only one was shot, the other bearing was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hankook has a new UHPAS tire coming out soon, on Oct 30 at SEMA, but its model name has not yet been revealed.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2012/10/new-hankook-tire-is-shhuussh-it-s-a-secret.aspx

".........Hankook’s new ultra-high performance all-season tire will feature innovative technology that enables highly efficient wet braking, maximum grip in all driving conditions, lower rolling resistance, improved durability and greater stability and handling performance. It will be unveiled at a press conference at Hankook’s booth on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at 3:30 p.m....."

I had the 960's and they weren't great in the snow but i liked them otherwise. I tried the DWS on one car and liked them too and figured I could save some dough. No one seems to know when they will be back in stock though. Oh well, not the end of the world if I am 'forced' to get a nice set of 970's. I am sure they will be good.

Hello,

I've recently warrantied my Michelin Pilot AS Plus, after the sidewalls wore out completely after 25k miles. I purchased Michelin Primacy MXM4 P215/45R17 87W (all season). The tires are quiet, have a 45k warranty on them which is unheard of for performance tires. The ride is smooth and quiet, handles like super glue (almost as good as a summer tire - on dry asphalt). Highly recommended and I'm a stickler for a nice ride. My car 91k miles 2005 Legacy GT Limited. Purchased them at Costco.

Hello,

I've recently warrantied my Michelin Pilot AS Plus, after the sidewalls wore out completely after 25k miles. I purchased Michelin Primacy MXM4 P215/45R17 87W (all season). The tires are quiet, have a 45k warranty on them which is unheard of for performance tires. The ride is smooth and quiet, handles like super glue (almost as good as a summer tire - on dry asphalt). Highly recommended and I'm a stickler for a nice ride. My car 91k miles 2005 Legacy GT Limited. Purchased them at Costco.

technically, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 isn't a UHP A/S based on the categorization (just a label really) at Tire Rack... but they are AA traction rated, which is something I always look for in my tires...

Archived