LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

MPSes were hands-down better handling in rain, snow and ice than the PZNs ever were. Swift acceleration in rain would result in wheel spin with the PZNs, just total acceleration from the MPSes. Hydroplaning with the PZNs was a joke - slow way down or risk a spin-out. And snow stopping and going with PZNs was equally ridiculous, especially in heavy, wet snow with an ice base. Real-world results lead me to not put too much stock in the CR ratings.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tirerack has posted their test results for "affordable" UHPAS tires:

"Our Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive compared the new General G-MAX AS-03 and Kumho Ecsta 4X tires with the Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 and Yokohama AVID ENVigor (W)"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=151

I ended up going with the Kumho 4x's, had them installed yesterday. So far I really like what I'm feeling on the road, they made a very good first impression on me. The first thing I noticed was the grip, for an all season tire they sure fool you in dry weather. Coming from the SPT's, I haven't notice much, if any grip loss. I haven't pushed them to the limit yet though, I want to break them in first. The road noise is more quiet than the SPT's were and the ride comfort has improved a little, it's subtle but still noticeable. I have much more testing to do, wet pavement traction, hard braking etc, I'll have more once I put some more miles on them.

A a few notes worth mentioning: I'm on STI Pinks with Cusco sways (F & R) and a Cusco Front Strut Brace. Obviously these mods affected my ride comfort from stock.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Interesting to see that Kumho is offering a free road hazard warranty on the 4Xs, but only during the first 2/32" of tread wear.

"...........that have been irreparably damaged due to a normal road hazard condition, within the first 2/32” of the original tread depth (OTD), will be replaced free of charge with an equivalent Kumho tire....."

So if you blow your tire sidewall in a pothole 4 weeks after leaving the tire dealer, you'll be covered.:)

^ But not necessarily with the same tire (just equivalent), which would necessitate replacing all four tires to have matched set, front-rear, side-side.

Interesting to see that Kumho is offering a free road hazard warranty on the 4Xs, but only during the first 2/32" of tread wear.

"...........that have been irreparably damaged due to a normal road hazard condition, within the first 2/32” of the original tread depth (OTD), will be replaced free of charge with an equivalent Kumho tire....."

So if you blow your tire sidewall in a pothole 4 weeks after leaving the tire dealer, you'll be covered.:)

DWS have the same warranty.

I waited and got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ last December. I'm so happy with them. Very grippy, quiet, responsive, great pull in the snow and in the rain I don't need to slow down. They cost less than the DWS after a $70 Michelin mail in rebate, $60 Sears employee Michelin mail in rebate, 10% Employee discount, and an extra 10% friends and family night. Before seeing all the rebates I was going to get the DWS. They were so close to the Michelin's in the reviews it was like splitting hairs. The final factor in my decision was that I dont stock the DWS and would have to special order them. (3 working days) I don't stock my size Michelin either but their Mid-Atlantic warehouse is 3 miles from my shop. I've had to replace 2 so far due to road hazard (nail too close too sidewall) My road hazard wasn't free but have more than paid for themselves.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

DWS's on for 2 weeks, love the tire, road noise is very low, very comfortable ride & and they handle limited aggresive driving well, bumped psi up to 38frnt/36rear, side wall's are a bit soft but I don't drive real aggresive. No rain or snow yet. Much quiter and smoother than the Yoko S Drive's that were replaced.

A little more from CR re the Cooper Zeon RS3-A:

"In the all-season UHP category, the newly introduced Cooper Zeon RS3-A is now tied at the top of the ratings heap. It's a huge leap from the Zeon Sport A/S that we tested in 2007, which ranked 13th out of 15 models tested. The new tire is a standout and continues the trend of Cooper tires climbing in our ratings. The Zeon RS3-A offers both all-weather performance and impressive tread life for a UHP tire. Our only disappointment is that we couldn't get our hands on the Zeon RS3-S, Cooper's newest summer UHP tire in time for testing."

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/07/ultra-high-performance-tire-ratings-see-new-models-at-the-top.html

Everything you wanted to know about the Cooper Zeon RS3-A (and RS3-S) is at this very nicely done and informative "microsite".

http://www.cooperzeon.com/

• 3 weeks later...
A little more from CR re the Cooper Zeon RS3-A:

"In the all-season UHP category, the newly introduced Cooper Zeon RS3-A is now tied at the top of the ratings heap. It's a huge leap from the Zeon Sport A/S that we tested in 2007, which ranked 13th out of 15 models tested. The new tire is a standout and continues the trend of Cooper tires climbing in our ratings. The Zeon RS3-A offers both all-weather performance and impressive tread life for a UHP tire. Our only disappointment is that we couldn't get our hands on the Zeon RS3-S, Cooper's newest summer UHP tire in time for testing."

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/07/ultra-high-performance-tire-ratings-see-new-models-at-the-top.html

I just ordered a set of these Cooper Zeon RS3-A 205-50-17 for my wife's '08 2.5i, you can find this size on line for about $100 a tire plus shipping... my tire guy will get me out the door for around $450. fyi she got 73K out the original Yokohama's!

Dan T

I just ordered a set of these Cooper Zeon RS3-A 205-50-17 for my wife's '08 2.5i, you can find this size on line for about $100 a tire plus shipping... my tire guy will get me out the door for around $450. fyi she got 73K out the original Yokohama's!

Dan T

Good deal! Will be interesting to see how much mileage she gets on these new RS3-A tires. A poster at nasioc only got 6000 miles on the Cooper RS3-S (summer tires) :eek:

Im on my 3rd set of Prielli P-Zero Nero's on my Spec.B

2nd set on my LGT. Have also gone through a set of Toyo Proxes 4's (on other cars too, great tire but wears too quickly and directional tread limits rotation options, also used in snow at mammoth w/o chains) and Conti Extreme DW's (crap tire for actual performance, the sidewall was so soft i had to run 45/43 f/r to get any responsiveness from it, great if you want a quiet, comfortable ride though), and the Pirelli's outshine by far IMHO for a tire that does it all.

Conti Extreme DW's (crap tire for actual performance, the sidewall was so soft i had to run 45/43 f/r to get any responsiveness from it, great if you want a quiet, comfortable ride though), and the Pirelli's outshine by far IMHO for a tire that does it all.

DWS or DW?

Im on my 3rd set of Prielli P-Zero Nero's on my Spec.B

2nd set on my LGT.

Took off the Pirelli PZN (couldn't deal with the tramlining) and went with MPS ASes. Perfect tire for the LGT in my experience. Just put on my third set (technically 4th - but took off the 2nd set of 225/40x17 with <2K on them when I went to the 225/40x18s and they're still in the garage). They are directional so you can only rotate them fore and aft, but that has worked out okay for the past 100k miles. Running -1R -.75F camber, and zero toe, have gotten ~40K miles from them @ 36F/34R pressures.

Took off the Pirelli PZN (couldn't deal with the tramlining) and went with MPS ASes. Perfect tire for the LGT in my experience. Just put on my third set (technically 4th - but took off the 2nd set of 225/40x17 with <2K on them when I went to the 225/40x18s and they're still in the garage). They are directional so you can only rotate them fore and aft, but that has worked out okay for the past 100k miles. Running -1R -.75F camber, and zero toe, have gotten ~40K miles from them @ 36F/34R pressures.

I've wanted to try the MPS A/S's for a while now but the cost has just been too much, especially given how quickly I chew through tires. And the idea of getting a flat and having to replace the set half worn; there's definitely a reason I've never seen them on a car in LA that was less than $50,000. They sound like really, really nice tires, but a set of 4 basically costs the equivalent of a set of 6 of good UHP A/S tires from many other great brands (Pirelli, Yoko, Toyo, etc etc), and I spend enough on tires as it is! Oh well, one day....

I drove mine in SoCal for nearly 5 years with no issues, including routine runs to LA, SFV, IE, and points, North, East and South. Love the MPS in SoCal, perfect for every season, sea level or mountain top, rain, snow, ice, ick! And got ~40K (more on the 1st set of 225/40x18) miles out of each set. You just don't chew through these things. They take everything you can hand them and they just ask for more. I've received much more utility and value from them than any of the other high-end makes/models that they've replaced. It was the performance and the value that sold me.

Archived