LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ they are average in the snow, not great. All around they are a good time but no where near what a dedicated snow tire is like, I was kinda disappointed in their snow ability

I dont think any kind of UHP A/S tire is anywhere near the ability of a dedicated snow tire. They aren't meant to be a replacement; if you're driving in so much snow that you need a dedicated snow tire.....then you'd get them. I can't think of any UHP A/S that excels in both deep snow and dry tarmac at the same; either we don't have the technology, or we do but it would make the tires cost prohibitive. That said, my last set, toyo proxes 4, performed surprisingly well in the snow at mammoth last winter for our two day visit....but I wouldnt go driving fast up any snow covered mountain roads with them!

I had the car performance aligned after each install -.75 R/-.5F 0* toe all around, same symptoms. Less pronounced with the CEC, but still frustrating after Bilstein/Swift, AVO RSB and WL RC/BS Kit upgrade. Moved to MPS ASes, no more tramlining

That's weird, I don't know then. I would love to try the MPS A/S but they're too expensive for me; I buy tires way too often.

I dont think any kind of UHP A/S tire is anywhere near the ability of a dedicated snow tire. They aren't meant to be a replacement; if you're driving in so much snow that you need a dedicated snow tire.....then you'd get them. I can't think of any UHP A/S that excels in both deep snow and dry tarmac at the same; either we don't have the technology, or we do but it would make the tires cost prohibitive. That said, my last set, toyo proxes 4, performed surprisingly well in the snow at mammoth last winter for our two day visit....but I wouldnt go driving fast up any snow covered mountain roads with them!

I dunno, have used the MPSes literally for all-season, all-surface use in SoCal, e.g., monsoonal-like winter rain driving; monsoonal-like winter rain converted to 8" of heavy wet snow in <30 mins over frozen roads driving; hot, dry, desert driving; cool, wet mountain carving; frozen roads with pebbled snow on top (very slippery) driving; open track (WS/SOW, Fontana, Irwindale) and local Auto-xes) and love the tire. Just competently does it's job - well. That said, if I am commuting regularly to/through heavy snow areas, I put on dedicated winter tires and do use Dunlop M3 Winter Sport tires on my stock wheels for that purpose.

That's weird, I don't know then. I would love to try the MPS A/S but they're too expensive for me; I buy tires way too often.

Yeah - it was immediately apparent too. Must be something to do with the sidewalls and tire structure as all-else was equal. And for the wear that I get out of these tires, the extra cost amortizes out to less mile-for-mile than other AS tires.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's good, I would just be worried about getting a flat with such expensive tires. If I knew for certain they'd last until they were worn, then sure, I'd invest another $100/tire or so. I've heard the MPS A/S is a fantastic tire; I am very jealous :)

I've had one flat, mostly my fault - something about way too many digits on the speedo and a huge freakin' pot hole about 10' long and cut about 2' into the side of the road which no tire, let alone a wheel would have survived - in 95K miles of driving on these tires, most of that in Socal. It's also why I run a full-size spare now too (Summer and Winter).

BTW - The MPS kept that wheel together IMHO and other than a whole lot of noise from the rear wheel, the car still felt normal.

A new entry in the UHPAS group is the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. Apparently, CR has recently tested it and posted the results online (for subscribers only) , and " the Cooper Zeon RS3-A is tied in 1st place with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season, and the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1."

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Performance-Tires/Zeon-RS3-A.aspx

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/tire-tech-cooper-zeon-rs3-s-and-rs3-a/

A new entry in the UHPAS group is the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. Apparently, CR has recently tested it and posted the results online , and " the Cooper Zeon RS3-A is tied in 1st place with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season, and the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1."

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Performance-Tires/Zeon-RS3-A.aspx

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/tire-tech-cooper-zeon-rs3-s-and-rs3-a/

Uh, I didn't see any mention of them testing the pirelli zero in the article. They also have really inconsistent and inaccurate types of tests, and they only test them on the racetrack, which doesn't mean squat if you don't do all of your driving.....on a frigging racetrack. I see they mention the company, along with other big names, but they don't seem to show up in their hardly thorough "test".

The whole "test" if you can call it that, reads like one big paid advertisement for cooper! They also say the tire feels unsettled under wet braking and accelerating! How is that a good all season tire then? And they compare it against a PS2 for a gauge of wet performance? Honestly now, I read this article end to end and it just reads like a really screwed up ad that makes little sense. They go on to the wonders of silica and siping in the tire as if they are cutting edge tech or something!

I was really hoping to read a review of a promisingly affordable new performance all season, but this test is junk IMO.

I've had one flat, mostly my fault - something about way too many digits on the speedo and a huge freakin' pot hole about 10' long and cut about 2' into the side of the road which no tire, let alone a wheel would have survived - in 95K miles of driving on these tires, most of that in Socal. It's also why I run a full-size spare now too (Summer and Winter).

BTW - The MPS kept that wheel together IMHO and other than a whole lot of noise from the rear wheel, the car still felt normal.

You've seriously never had a puncture??

You've seriously never had a puncture??

Had them on every other tire I ran during nearly 30 years in Socal...but not one on the MPSes.

• 2 weeks later...
A new entry in the UHPAS group is the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. Apparently, CR has recently tested it and posted the results online (for subscribers only) , and " the Cooper Zeon RS3-A is tied in 1st place with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season, and the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1."....

A little more from CR re the Cooper Zeon RS3-A:

"In the all-season UHP category, the newly introduced Cooper Zeon RS3-A is now tied at the top of the ratings heap. It's a huge leap from the Zeon Sport A/S that we tested in 2007, which ranked 13th out of 15 models tested. The new tire is a standout and continues the trend of Cooper tires climbing in our ratings. The Zeon RS3-A offers both all-weather performance and impressive tread life for a UHP tire. Our only disappointment is that we couldn't get our hands on the Zeon RS3-S, Cooper's newest summer UHP tire in time for testing."

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/07/ultra-high-performance-tire-ratings-see-new-models-at-the-top.html

• 1 month later...

Kumho has just come out with a new UHPAS tire, the Kumho Ecsta 4X.

"Forget the forecast. The all-new Ecsta 4X (KU22) delivers heart-pounding performance in any weather-rain, shine or light snow. Ecsta 4X combines the smooth, straight-line precision of a luxury sports tire with the grip and response to get your heart racing at a street price that puts performance within reach."

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/Tire.aspx?id=a754cf6e-f4df-4df8-9e7c-063184da3a6b&cat=24

Just price matched tire rack at my local Sears for the Continental DWS. The way they did it is 125 a tire and cheaper mounting. So the price is equivalent.

Came out to 614 after all taxes and mounting. TPMS adds about 24 dollars. So that seems to be the route I'm heading.

Has anyone tried the new Falken Azenis PT 722 a/s?

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Azenis-PT722-A-S-22

Just saw their ad during the American LeMans racing series this weekend. Checked the prices online for a 225/45R17 and they look very attractive. With 600 UTQG to boot. AND they only weigh in at 22lbs (1lb more than the DWS).

I'm looking forward to some reviews of this tire though, because they're pretty new it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run a few UHP A/S tires on the wagon since I've owned it, all 225/45/17. First two on 17x7.5, currently on 17x8.

Toyo Proxes 4

Nitto Neo Gen 2

and now Sumitomo HTR A/S P01

So far, the Sumitomo looks to be quite good, and I think better than the others (certainly a newer, more modern tread/design). They ride nice and handle pretty good but I haven't had it to an auto-x yet so I'll reserve final judgement until I've really run them through their paces.

I run snow tires for the winter.

Archived