LegacyGT.com

Ultra High Performance All Season Tires

outahere

Could not stand the tramlining on the PZN and the CEC tires. Moved to MPS ASes and haven't looked back. Have a set of PRE760AS on my BD and really like the tire.

hmm i never noticed that with my tires. Maybe my Perrin LCA spherical bushings compensate for that?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys with the DWS's...........don't forget to add 5 to 7 lbs of extra air pressure in them-----fixes the soft sidewall situation

( I initially hated mine , added the extra air , all is well )

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

I've been running the Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45/17 UHPAS tires fr a a lttle over a year now and couldn't be happier.

Great wet and dry performance.We only had small amounts of snow last year so I can't judge on that.

And if it does snow bad I just grab the keys to my wifes Forester and I'm good to go.:p

I run 40/38 which helps a bit..

Yup...5 extra pounds had made things much better. Turn in is a little weak, but grip is very good all around. Good enough for now. Next time I will try something else. Looking forward to hearing opinions of the RE970 on lgt's.

Wow - wouldn't think you'd need to run that much "extra" pressure to increase handling response. With the MPS ASes, running 38F/36R is probably the most I would "want" to run on 225/40 on 8" rims, as the sides are perfectly vertical on the rims. Guess that on stretched tires or even tucked tires (neither of which makes sense from a performance perspective) you'd have to increase the pressures to compensate for the lose of normal sidewall support.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Could not stand the tramlining on the PZN and the CEC tires. Moved to MPS ASes and haven't looked back. Have a set of PRE760AS on my BD and really like the tire.

hmm i never noticed that with my tires. Maybe my Perrin LCA spherical bushings compensate for that?

I've had the tires for 4,000mi and have never had this issue. So far my PZero Nero's have been the best A/S tire i've tried (and i've tried a lot!)

I run 40/38 which helps a bit..

When I had ExtremeContact DW's, I ran them 44/42 to fix the sidewall issue. I couldn't believe I was running such high pressure and the sidewalls were STILL soft! I'll never get those tires again. They're great for people wanting a comfortable, quiet tire to go in a straight line, but they don't like to turn, just like the people giving them such high reviews on TireRack :rolleyes:

I've been running the Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45/17 UHPAS tires fr a a lttle over a year now and couldn't be happier.

Great wet and dry performance.We only had small amounts of snow last year so I can't judge on that.

And if it does snow bad I just grab the keys to my wifes Forester and I'm good to go.:p

How much did those run you?

This was my first set of MPS replacement tires for the LGT after the PZN and the CECs. 225/45 size too on stock wheels. Loved this tire and loved it in the snow (sometimes up to 8" of heavy wet snow, and snow pellets on underlying ice).

Purchased a second set after 31Kish miles (w/at least 10K left on the tires) because we we're going to do a lot of winter driving and wanted to make sure my wife would be comfortable (read: safe), and then put 20-25K milles on the second set before converting to the 225/40x18 on 8" Volks. Put the second set on my my 98 BD GT Sedan and they still look to have 30K miles left in them

The 18" set are on their third season (>30K) and look to be about 50% or more remaining. Still great turn-in, rock-solid at speed and reasonably quiet given the ZR rating. I don't see any reason to give up this capability in the near- or long-term.

Just had the re970as's installed today, 225/45r17which fill the wheel wells much better. They drive much better than the stockers duh, but handling is much improved. Still too soon to make any bold claims but for what i paid i hope they are worth it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=147

This a good comparo. Like everyone else, I like my Conti Extreme Contacts a lot. I am running them out fast, I have had them on the car since 2008 and for the 2011-2012 winter I do need new tires. I am concerned they are not quite as good as the previous ones. They changed the pattern for the DWS spec - traction seems that it stayed high. I too run them 3-5 psi higher.

Something you folks ought to consider: weight per tire

225-45-R17

Bstones - 25 lbs

Conti DWS - 21 lbs

Michelin - 24 lbs ( the old spec tires were 28 lbs each, I remember clearly cause i cross-shopped)

Pirelli - 23 lbs

So that softer side wall is directly linked to the tire weight. But reducing rotational mass and unsprung mass (in car talk) will be advantageous.

I've had the tires for 4,000mi and have never had this issue. So far my PZero Nero's have been the best A/S tire i've tried (and i've tried a lot!)

yeah I am on my second or third set of them and havent had that problem either...

Didn't you get excessive wear in the center of the tread with these pressures?

No, I got excessive wear on the outside from too much canyon carving :lol:. I have NEVER worn out the inside of a tire before the rest of it. And 44/42 is not enough pressure to cause the tire to wear just down the center. If anything, it actually increases the tire life due to decreased friction from running lower pressures, and MPG increased as well.

Now, if the DW's were actually real sport, stiff tires, then yes, they would probably be a bit deformed at such high pressures, but since they are as soft as balloons, it's not an issue. In contrast, I run my PZero's almost 10lbs lower.

DWS's have a maximum inflation pressure of 51 lbs. Rule of thumb (use 75% - 85% of max pressure) says run them at 38 to 43 lbs.

Another "Rule of Thumb", more so for aggressive driving or autox'ing, is to run 10-20% less than max cold PSI. It just depends on the tire, your driving style, and how you're using the tire (HWY trip? Canyon Run?).

I had the car performance aligned after each install -.75 R/-.5F 0* toe all around, same symptoms. Less pronounced with the CEC, but still frustrating after Bilstein/Swift, AVO RSB and WL RC/BS Kit upgrade. Moved to MPS ASes, no more tramlining

Archived