LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

Greetings! Installed the 19mm rsb on 2012 legacy 3.6r which is wife's car. She has been less than specific about improvements, if any, but she had complained earlier about car being 'floaty' and 'hard to control' at highway speeds (75 to 82mph) in the wind. Now she is tired by my asking of questions, and I have yet to take it out for long distance on highway, although I had it to 80mph for short distance and it seemed fine to me. Only question - tech installed with left stop inside bushing at about 1/2" from bushing with right stop against bushing. Is that ok? Thanks!

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greetings! Installed the 19mm rsb on 2012 legacy 3.6r which is wife's car. She has been less than specific about improvements, if any, but she had complained earlier about car being 'floaty' and 'hard to control' at highway speeds (75 to 82mph) in the wind. Now she is tired by my asking of questions, and I have yet to take it out for long distance on highway, although I had it to 80mph for short distance and it seemed fine to me. Only question - tech installed with left stop inside bushing at about 1/2" from bushing with right stop against bushing. Is that ok? Thanks!

The bar will slide left and right while driving.

After a 300mile road trip I found that the bar did help at highway speeds. However, on the way home there were 20-30 mph winds. With the cross winds it still felt like driving a conversion van while doing 70-75mph. I guess it's time to get RCE springs/Bilsteins when available.

I just installed the Subaru 19mm rear sway bar tonight, and it corrected that wandering mushy feeling going around corners with no negative side effects at all. My car is barely over 1 year old and has been through a single Cleveland winter, and the end link bolts were already nearly seized from rust. I sprayed pbr on it two days ago, sprayed it once more about 5 minutes before I took them off. I still had to keep backing the nuts up several times even after cleaning up the exposed thread a little. I thought I might still end up stripping them because it felt like I was using a die to cut threads. It ended up being fine, and the results were definitely worth it. If you have a new Legacy, my advice is to go ahead and do this before the end link bolts start rusting while it is still easy.

• 2 months later...
Car has seems a little jittery lately. I'm wondering if the endlink is coming loose? I already had to re-tighten the bushing brackets. What do you guys think...could a loose endlink cause that? (gonna crawl under there tonight)

^ Thanks. Tire pressure is good. The bolt on the one rear endlink was almost off. A good 1/2" play on the one side. Car is more composed now at higher speeds. However I still have a little jitter. I've had my tires balanced 4-5 times now and been to the dealer twice to check for suspension issues. They say its the tires (DWS). They never felt totally balanced, but things began feeling worse (or it was just getting to me). Anyway, looks like I'm looking into getting some prorated replacements as the dealer tested a set of new tires from a car on the lot...said car was not jittery.

Side note...go back and check your brackets. I had to crank the nuts on those down a little bit too.

If the link is loose but still connected it will still take loads and will not feel jittery but perhaps a slight rattle? Check your tire pressures as weather is changing this is one thing that gets overlooked often.

-Benny

I have done the back one with an 18 mm bar. What do you suggest for the front? The front now seems like the weak link.

I dont remember off the top of my head. I left the old bar loose and placed the new bar in the same orientation on the ground and then swapped. Didn't hear any noises on the test drive, but I'll re-torque and check for rubbing later this week

Nothing like working on a brand new car when each bolt "cooperates" :)

We have these kits available here for those interested https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_93_100&products_id=1330

Thanks, Benny

So asked my Subie dealer parts guy what his cost was using the parts number listed on your site. He told me they were only listed for an Impreza and would not fit my 2011 Legacy 2.5 Limited.

:confused:What gives????? :confused:

So asked my Subie dealer parts guy what his cost was using the parts number listed on your site. He told me they were only listed for an Impreza and would not fit my 2011 Legacy 2.5 Limited.

:confused:What gives????? :confused:

This is such an easy thing to do. The part number/s listed fits late model Legacys, Outbacks, Foresters, WRXs...all the same.

So noob mistake, as mentioned above, it looks like I have my bar on with the bend in the sway bar pointing down, where it should be pointed up. The bar attached without problem and to the endlinks perfectly fine when I installed it. I have yet to hear any noises (rubbing) and looking under the car today the endlinks don't look distressed.

Is this bend for clearance or for function?

Supposed to rain the next couple days, then I am in Atlanta for a week, so I may not get it swapped for a bit. Effin' Eh

$110 order/ship online do it myself vs $180 order thru and installed by dealer???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

HHHMMMMMMMMM Maybe I fell brave enough to try it myself!!!!!

At 55 I am still confident working on my 72 Buick, but a 2011 Legacy... :spin::spin: duhno:spin::spin:

Archived