LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

off course i would be the one that had probems with this..

My car is over 2 yrs old and the stock end link bolts were pretty rusted up. I sprayed with lock tite and later wd40 and got most of the rust off.. it was hard getting one side off i had to keep backing it off and spraying with wd40 again to get the newly accumulated rust out of the threads.. I even have the correct size allen wrench 5mm.. Anyway got one sde off with much work but the other damn side even following the same procedures eventually jammed up so good i could not move it in either direction. So i took the whole end link out with the bar. IT WAS jamed up so good that even with the allen wrench in a vise i just stripped the allen threads. Also tried vice grips but all this got me was the grease coming out of the gasket, and taking metal off the other part.. Anyway didnt really want to pay double what the damn end links cost and wait a couple of days for the local dealer to order new endlinks.. Ordered a couple this weekend online.. and while waiting was able to cut the old nut off with a hax saw and filed it a little and got the remaining threads workable. Got a replacment nut (10mm) at home depot.. also bought a can of lithium grease with a little spray tube and put as much as i could get under the rubber gasket.. Got the new bar on.. and figure it will be fine until i get the replacment end links.. what a unexpected pleasure :(

off course i would be the one that had probems with this..

My car is over 2 yrs old and the stock end link bolts were pretty rusted up. I sprayed with lock tite and later wd40 and got most of the rust off.. it was hard getting one side off i had to keep backing it off and spraying with wd40 again to get the newly accumulated rust out of the threads.. I even have the correct size allen wrench 5mm.. Anyway got one sde off with much work but the other damn side even following the same procedures eventually jammed up so good i could not move it in either direction. So i took the whole end link out with the bar. IT WAS jamed up so good that even with the allen wrench in a vise i just stripped the allen threads. Also tried vice grips but all this got me was the grease coming out of the gasket, and taking metal off the other part.. Anyway didnt really want to pay double what the damn end links cost and wait a couple of days for the local dealer to order new endlinks.. Ordered a couple this weekend online.. and while waiting was able to cut the old nut off with a hax saw and filed it a little and got the remaining threads workable. Got a replacment nut (10mm) at home depot.. also bought a can of lithium grease with a little spray tube and put as much as i could get under the rubber gasket.. Got the new bar on.. and figure it will be fine until i get the replacment end links.. what a unexpected pleasure :(

After I stripped on of my allen key holes, I too took the link out with the bar. I was able to get a pair of needle nose 10" vice grips on the back side of the "bolt" to keep it from spinning while holding the bar in a vice and worked it out. I used a tap and die to clean both ends up for re-assembly and it all worked out.

It's crappy that you were not able to get off. I see now that I was that one short step away from having to order new links too.

I guess the best word of advice one could give after this experience is to WD40 those threads every day for a week before attempting to remove. A little patience could have saved both of us a whole lot of headache.

After I stripped on of my allen key holes, I too took the link out with the bar. I was able to get a pair of needle nose 10" vice grips on the back side of the "bolt" to keep it from spinning while holding the bar in a vice and worked it out. I used a tap and die to clean both ends up for re-assembly and it all worked out.

It's crappy that you were not able to get off. I see now that I was that one short step away from having to order new links too.

I guess the best word of advice one could give after this experience is to WD40 those threads every day for a week before attempting to remove. A little patience could have saved both of us a whole lot of headache.

ya tried the vice grips too.. just stripped the metal piece also.. it was really tight.. car drives ok with makeshift repairs. but without most of the lubricant in the end link dont think it will last long.. new ones should be here soon..

Best mod ever. I'm disappointed subaru hasn't corrected this issue. I've had the bar installed for a month or so and just got back from a rainy, windy, 200 mile trip. It handled great. Can't put a price on safety!

16mm = unsafe at highway speeds

19mm = planted and reasonable stability

For those of you with stubborn/rusted hardware we have available hardware and sway bar link kits. You can also order any specific nut or bolt you may need from the repair parts catalog as well.

rear_sway_bar_hardware.jpg

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-rear-sway-hardware-p-1799.html

rear_sway_bar_Link.jpg

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-rear-sway-link-p-1800.html

Thanks, Benny

While taking the stock bar off, I was loosening the bar from the end links and on both of them, i used vice grips, because i was having trouble with the allen wrenches, and when i used the vice grips, lots of greece oozed from the end link pillow joint... Is this at all a problem?

While taking the stock bar off, I was loosening the bar from the end links and on both of them, i used vice grips, because i was having trouble with the allen wrenches, and when i used the vice grips, lots of greece oozed from the end link pillow joint... Is this at all a problem?

Yup, buy new links. Those ones are gonna start makin noise soon. You could ride it out and see how long they last, but if your luck is anything like mine, when you need them, they will be back-ordered.

Yup, buy new links. Those ones are gonna start makin noise soon. You could ride it out and see how long they last, but if your luck is anything like mine, when you need them, they will be back-ordered.

If they do start squeaking, couldnt i just add more grease inside? Sounds like its a big deal over a small part

If I had to buy new ones, Id want to get bigger ones... How about the STi ones? I would like to stick with subaru stuff if they are good

wow, did you drove your car in Greece? you must have accumulated a lot of that country while you were there...

I'm sorry, i had to do it. i still can't stop laughing. It's grease btw, just to avoid any confusion in future posts or if you happen to vacation in Greece or order some Greece from somewhere and you get food instead of lubricating material.

oh also, that doesnt sound right that a bunch of grease came out, they should be sealed with that boot thing. it may cause noise if you don't keep them lubricated with some grease.

wow, did you drove your car in Greece? you must have accumulated a lot of that country while you were there...

I'm sorry, i had to do it. i still can't stop laughing. It's grease btw, just to avoid any confusion in future posts or if you happen to vacation in Greece or order some Greece from somewhere and you get food instead of lubricating material.

oh also, that doesnt sound right that a bunch of grease came out, they should be sealed with that boot thing. it may cause noise if you don't keep them lubricated with some grease.

:lol:

If I had to buy new ones, Id want to get bigger ones... How about the STi ones? I would like to stick with subaru stuff if they are good

STi endlinks might not fit, but even if they did it'd be the same style as your stock ones. Same shit, different Subaru :lol:

Archived