LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

Well, the time has come to finally start driving my car again.

After a couple speed bumps during the rebuild, everything seems to be running smoothly.

I only have 100 miles on the new motor, but so far so good.

I feels so good to be back in the car.

Tonight I plan on installed some parts I had sitting off to the side and then going for a loooong drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha! Thanks. If I didn't have a second vehicle during the whole ordeal, I probably wouldn't have wanted to deal with it and would've got rid of it.

As for an update, 1000 miles and no oil burning and my oil catch can is still empty.

I even made it out to Chicago's mythical Legacy meet that never happens as planned.

I have 500 miles to go before I'm done with the break-in, then I get another full tune. After that, I'll be making a road trip to northern Virginia for Thanksgiving. That will be it's real test of reliability.

(Second from the left)

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-jMJtjnZ/0/X3/i-jMJtjnZ-X3.jpg

Got sort of tuned today...

Looks like I'll be needing a stronger spring for my EWG.

It came with a 7lb. spring and my tuner and I both thought it would work just fine.

At first we hooked the EBCS like it's normally done for EWGs and made around 14.5 psi.

Then we hooked it up according to one of Turbosmart's recommended setups and made around 18psi.

We thought maybe the EBCS was messed up, so we swapped in a new one, but same thing. Then we unhooked the bottom port on the wastegate to run infinite boost, just to make sure I don't have some sort of boost leak I can't hear over the EWG and I can make 20+ psi no problem.

I'm going to order a new spring and install it in a couple weeks, after my trip to VA. So fully tuning it going to have to wait.

On the bright side, we didn't run into any issues with tuning (other than mentioned) and my car is 100% drivable with a fun 18psi.

• 1 month later...

Quick update...

After a leaky oil pan that couldn't be sealed right, I had to replace that with a new one.

I replaced my Competition Clutch with a twin disc Exedy. WAY better now, and after break-in, it's super easy to drive. Only con with it is cold start chatter between shift. I have noticed it going away more and more though.

I still haven't gotten around to putting in the heavier EWG spring.

And my one Cosworth TGV deletes cracked at the intake manifold gasket, creating a HUGE vacuum leak that was a bit difficult to locate and some bad misfiring. I ended up porting my stock TGV. Those are now installed and I'm back to driving like normal.

Other than that, everything is perfect. Not burning any oil, and the motor pulls very strong.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you post the picture of the cracked Cosworth TGV? What a bummer given what these things cost :(

Sorry, I just noticed your post today.

Here are some pics of the TGV:

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-6bRdc45/0/L/i-6bRdc45-L.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-x944VDB/0/L/i-x944VDB-L.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-fnfLVFP/0/L/i-fnfLVFP-L.jpg

Another update...

I finally got around to getting my 10lbs wastegate spring installed along with the original 7lbs spring.

Zero'd out the wastegate duty cycle table and went to log. I can easily hit 30psi by 3800 RPMs :eek: Not what I wanted. Popped the hood and noticed one of my vacuum lines from the EBCS wasn't connected and I was running infina-boost. Whoops. Hooked it up and all was well. Sort of.

My problem I have now it that I can't log at WOT. RR keeps cutting out around 3900 RPMs or 6100 RPMs. Even a 6100 RPM log takes about 8 or 9 tries. I've tried 3 different Tactrix cables and two other laptops. I even messed with the OBD port, but nothing seems to help. I can log fine as long as I don't push the car hard and I can flash no problem. I even thought maybe my PLX wideband was causing issues, so I tried my friends Innovative WBO2. Same deal. Tried logging with no WB and same problem. Gave up after 3 hours. I'm thinking I have some sort of grounding issue somewhere, or some electrical issue. I just gotta find it.

So as of right now, I'm stuck with wastegate pressure (~17lbs) in the meantime, but I won't be going WOT until I have this sorted out.

One problem after another. :spin:

Edited by Strizzy

Wow I am still amazed after all this time you have kept on this. I love your setup, and wish you so much luck on this one man.

I know most people consider it bunk but have you tried a grounding kit? Or a DIY grounding kit? Have you kept any or all of the stock grounds?

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Wow I am still amazed after all this time you have kept on this. I love your setup, and wish you so much luck on this one man.

I know most people consider it bunk but have you tried a grounding kit? Or a DIY grounding kit? Have you kept any or all of the stock grounds?

Thank you :)

As for the grounds, I kept all the stock ones, except when I had the Cosworth TGVs. Since plastic is non-conductive, I had to reroute the one ground to a different spot. Which also get me thinking now, it may not have been the best spot for a ground. I'll take a look at it later if I get some time. And I have been thinking about a DIY grounding kit since last night. So that may be my next step. I'll just make it so as much of the wires are routed neatly. My engine bay is starting to look a little like spaghetti with all the vacuum lines/hoses/wires :lol:

is that an NOS bottle?

say it aint so Strizz.... say it aint so

Two bottles. The big ones. :lol:

It's a NOS stool that was won in a raffle.

• 3 weeks later...
I just read this whole thread. If I were you I would've hanged myself after the second ring problem. But something also caught my attention, you were running 26psi at one point? Did the tuner think that was okay to do? Maybe the ring setup for these engines are just not constructed strongly enough to handle that much boost? I always heard no more than 24psi.... :confused:

That 26psi was what I saw on my ProSport boost gauge, which I later figured out was off by a little more than 2psi (after comparing logs to what I saw with gauge's "peak" feature). I also got rid of my Prosport oil pressure gauge. I never realized how much the oil pressure fluctuates. The prosport never showed that. I like my PLX gauges (DM-6) WAY better.

The ring problem was actually Mahle's fault (they unofficially owned up to the problem, and I guess it's fairly common when you use their supplied rings).

But like I mentioned before, the shop I've been working with has been really helping me out.

And the saga continues......

As I was coming to a stop the other day, I noticed a faint smell of burning oil, but it quickly went away. Later in the day, I noticed it more and more, but I didn't see any leaks or oil spots when I popped the hood. This went on for about 2 days. While sitting at a stop one night, smoke started billowing in to the cabin from the vents. WTF!? Something had to be terribly wrong, as that is NOT normal. After poking around with one of those fiber optic video cameras, I find out that the oil is coming from the center section of my turbo and dripping onto my UP. Not cool, as it's pretty much turns my engine bay into a potential candle.

So to fix this issue, this is what I already ordered:

ATP GTX3076R turbo

Agency Power fuel rail kit

Aeromotive fuel pump

I just need to decide on a 3" inlet.