LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

So I've been thinking over the whole E85 thing...

I might be able to get by with just a fuel pressure regulator (yes, I'm still running the stock one), rather than a new fuel delivery setup. Or If I want to go faster, I'll do a race gas tune and keep what I have.

After driving around for the last day, I don't want to change anything else. It feels absolutely PERFECT where it is for a DD.

If I do end up changing fuel pumps and injectors for E85, it won't be until later down the road.

This turbo is absolutely incredible for how much it flows.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Car is running stronger than ever. I'm glad I stuck with the build and all the bullshit and bad luck that took me for a ride. This car is a monster when I want it to be, and completely civil when cruising around as a DD.

Next Saturday I will be getting on a dyno for a local dyno day. This coming Wednesday I will be getting tuned for race gas. It will be a glorious day.

Airboy graph said I'm making about 430HP.

I'll have a dyno plot soon enough though.

Tried tuning for 100oct today, but I seem to be getting spark blowout every time at the same RPM/boost range (5000RPM/27psi). Tomorrow I'm going to try to find time to replace and change the gap of the plugs, then Saturday afternoon I'll try another round of the 100oct tune.

So much airflow that it literally blows out the spark from the plug, not allowing a combustion event. My plugs may be gapped too much. And I think I am running one step colder heat range, which doesn't help with the situation.

I got most of my 100oct tune tonight.

Holy shit! It actually scares me a bit.

I had to revert back to my original way the EWG/EBCS was hooked up because I couldn't make less than 28.5psi in 4th gear. I want a safe target of 26psi.

I'm going to look into a hybrid boost control setup, because with the 2-port EWG setup I did, I was able to hit 28psi by 4k RPM :eek: No, that is not a type-o. Boost was just uncontrollable, even at 15% WGDC. There just isn't enough wiggle room with duty cycles to run a boost target I felt safe with that would work with pump93.

If I can get that insane spool, this would be, IMO, the best turbo for a DD.

Dyno day is this Sunday, so expect numbers shortly after.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the GTX 3076r and the GT 3076r that NSFW has?

In theory the GTX makes more power with about the same spool/lag/boost-threshold. In reality we won't know until he posts some charts or logs. These are pretty new, so there haven't been many results posted yet.

I'm really curious. I'm sure he'll have more power, the big question is when it comes on.

Edited by NSFW

You hit 20 psi at 3750 RPM which is almost exactly where mine hits 20, and 25.5 at about 4k, which I think is where mine would hit about 25 (I run ~23psi), so the spool-up looks the same. This turbo might actually live up to the hype. :eek::lol:

Were you using E84 in that 4th gear log? [EDIT: I just noticed you said 100oct up above.] You're running a few degrees more timing than I can get with 92 octane, and 0.5 - 0.75 leaner as well. But no knock, so it's all good. There's a bit of knock right where you release the throttle but boost has dropped way down by that point, and I don't think it's currently possible to tune that out.

Your load is over 4 g/rev, and the "Engine Load (2-byte)" parameter maxes out at 4, so you should be logging the 4-byte version instead. The 4-byte version is what the ECU uses internally, and the upper limit is astronomically large.

Edited by NSFW

Your load is over 4 g/rev, and the "Engine Load (2-byte)" parameter maxes out at 4, so you should be logging the 4-byte version instead. The 4-byte version is what the ECU uses internally, and the upper limit is astronomically large.

Yeah, I didn't realize I clicked the wrong one until I looked at my logs.

Anyways, here's the results from the dyno today.

Temp was around 60*F and 100% humidity and raining like crazy. I did two 4th gear pulls and both runs were identical.

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-tzX8ShJ/0/X3/i-tzX8ShJ-X3.jpg

The second plot is when I was stage 2 (same dyno for better comparison) with Invidia catted DP and stock CBE.

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-DR39f9P/0/X3/i-DR39f9P-X3.jpg

There is still a bit more left on the table, but tuning at 1:30AM is rough, especially after being awake for the 19 previous hours.

Once I go with a hybrid boost control setup, I should be hitting my target boost about 400RPM sooner.

Edited by Strizzy

I have some future plans for slighty bigger cams and some minor head work. Not sure when I'll get around to that though, as I am extremely happy with where I am now. I also feel that my 7k redline is perfect for this setup.

I'm still debating on the switch to E85. I might just get a FPR and up the pressure and see where that can get me. I would like a bit more torque.

I have some future plans for slighty bigger cams and some minor head work. Not sure when I'll get around to that though, as I am extremely happy with where I am now. I also feel that my 7k redline is perfect for this setup.

I honestly don't feel you will see enough benefit from cams at the top-end to make up for lost low and midrange torque. If you had a GT35xxR it would be another story.

Having been in a GH8 with 430whp on the GT3076R I am quite sure you're thrilled with what you have. I don't really see how any sane person could need more in a street-driven car! :eek:

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I also feel that my 7k redline is perfect for this setup.

It seems to me that the 'happy' rev range on your setup and mine are about the same width as stock, they just start and end 1000 RPM later. So it doesn't take long to adjust to it. But I'm pretty sure there's an additional 1000 RPM of usable power on the other side of my rev limiter, and there's gotta be just as much with your setup.

So at some point I'm going to try to figure out what it would take to safely run it up to 8000 or maybe 8500. But I try not to think about it. If I stare at the marshmallow, I end up eating the marshmallow...

This might sound strange but the most appealing thing about a higher rev limit is that I'd be able to feel the power drop off as the turbo ran out of breath. I actually miss the little drop in power that the stock turbo had. That told me when to shift, without thinking about it. With a setup that holds power all the way to the top, shifting just before the limit requires conscious effort and planning ahead, and it feels like a distraction, instead of being something that just comes naturally.

I guess cutting WGDC above 6500 RPM would solve that problem for less money. Maybe I'll do that instead. :lol:

It seems to me that the 'happy' rev range on your setup and mine are about the same width as stock, they just start and end 1000 RPM later. So it doesn't take long to adjust to it. But I'm pretty sure there's an additional 1000 RPM of usable power on the other side of my rev limiter, and there's gotta be just as much with your setup.

So at some point I'm going to try to figure out what it would take to safely run it up to 8000 or maybe 8500. But I try not to think about it. If I stare at the marshmallow, I end up eating the marshmallow...

This might sound strange but the most appealing thing about a higher rev limit is that I'd be able to feel the power drop off as the turbo ran out of breath. I actually miss the little drop in power that the stock turbo had. That told me when to shift, without thinking about it. With a setup that holds power all the way to the top, shifting just before the limit requires conscious effort and planning ahead, and it feels like a distraction, instead of being something that just comes naturally.

I guess cutting WGDC above 6500 RPM would solve that problem for less money. Maybe I'll do that instead. :lol:

A friend of mine built his motor to be very rev happy. He can rev to 9500 is desired, but around 8750, his oil pressure starts to drop.

He destroked his 2.5 block with a 2.0 crank, sleeved the block, and bored it to bring his displacement back up to 2.5L. He made 610whp and 598wtq on the dyno yesterday. He's also running a massive HTA86. But he literally has a 5k RPM power band and can break the tires loose in 4th gear. That car is just plain scary.